Parrrley Mechanics Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Heat n Serve

01-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementz View Post
Heat n Serve..

You got some interesting info but im sorry to say that build isn't very good.

You a lack a tonne of crit and without the gold from avirices etc.. You could have a lot more farm with them and crit too which you need early to do well with Parrrley.

It's just a lackluster build for pirate.
More crit chance doesn't equal more damage. Does anyone who plays this game understand expectation?

Has anyone tried to farm without avarice blades? You don't need them. You farm fine without it. Just buy a cloak of agility, turn it into an infinity edge.

So I do a little more on Parrrley, a little less on melee. Big deal.

The only point I'm trying to make is that there are better melee DPS champs out there. If you had to chose a role for Gangplank, the optimal role is support ranged damage. Melee is a secondary role.

WholeGrn

01-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat n Serve View Post
When I ult correctly, at least 4 of them are in the AOE. At least 3 of them eat 2 cannons each. The damage is NOT unreliable if you have their whole team in the AOE. There are too many cannons and too many people in the same area for the damage to be "unreliable". If you do it right, you should at least that much AOE damage, keep in mind that my magic pen actually helps. 30% Damage amplification is nothing to laugh at. If someone gets hits by 4 or 5 cannons, then great. You don't need that to happen though to inflict serious damage. The slow also keeps people in place, makes it difficult for them to kite your DPS.
Okay, well I have to admit that Cannon Barrage can do lots of damage, but I still believe it is not enough to compare to auto attack damage that you could pump out at will and have no needed cooldowns for. Simply not an even total damage trade off for me. Increasing ultimate damage by 30% while cutting effectiveness of auto attack damage.(consistent 600 crits attack at a decent speed; I don't have time for the math, but I think it would be more DPS)

Quote:
Your other points? If you want to pay 90 gold everytime you want to raise moral, go for it. The rally flag will probably last longer than the battle, so when are you going to get the chance to shoot it?
90 Gold for a huge team buff? If you use it wisely (only in very decisive team fights) I think it is worth it. Or get the support ***** to buy one =p

Quote:
Everyone keeps talking about Grog blade like it is this game breaking thing... it's a passive. When you play as other champs, do you buy an executioner's calling on all of them every time? Rarely do I see level 30s equip a summoner heal.
Lots of carries get Lifesteal. Executioner's Calling and Pirate's Passive will be useful in most game as most carries get a Malady, Bloodthirster, or both. It also completely shuts out Mundo. It also makes it so that your carries will not need to get it and spend the gold on a big item.

Elementz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

01-05-2010

Quote:
More crit chance doesn't equal more damage. Does anyone who plays this game understand expectation?

Has anyone tried to farm without avarice blades? You don't need them. You farm fine without it. Just buy a cloak of agility, turn it into an infinity edge.

The only point I'm trying to make is that there are better melee DPS champs out there. If you had to chose a role for Gangplank, the optimal role is support ranged damage. Melee is a secondary role.
Crit does equal more damage.

Someone has 14% crit vs someone who has 44%. Who's gonna do more damage?

Even if you have a sheen, the crits will overall be doing WAY more damage then your base hits.

Crit does = damage.

You can pretty much put every 1 crit = 1% more damage.

It's ridiculous to say crit doesn't equal damage when it most certainly does. And on pirate with your playstyle you should be going for crit because when you're not critting you're doing meh damage.

Serois

01-05-2010

About Cannon Barrage:
I've used it on 5 enemies, and had only 1 cannonball hit while they were in it for a good amount of time. I've also had it used on me as tydr with 2k hp, and just balls killed me in 2 seconds(not ap plank either). If lots of enemies are there, it is likely to hit, but not guaranteed.

About Build:
I've tried the magic pen/sheen build. These are the reasons I didn't like it:
1) you shift gangplank from mid-late game to early-mid game. early-mid plays a huge role in mid-late but gangplanks plays well enough early already anyway.
2) you nerf your auto attack(nerfing extra dps as well as killing towers,inhibs)
3) raise morale is not as useful(I believe using all champs skills is best), extra ms + as for team = gold
4) you focus just on magic dmg when you can do both phys/magic
5) magic pen only helps 2 skills(really turning gangplank into a 2 skill hero, since you are most likely not going into melee, then you are hit less/using scurvy less)
6) no melee means you ignore gangplanks passive

If that's how you like to play gangplank, go for it. If people have problems with how you or other people play, there is an option for them to not solo queue and instead play with people they want to.

Also, crit chance means more dps. In a single attack, 1% crit can do as much dmg as 100% crit, but in several attacks 100% crit will win.

tl;dr, i like using all gangplanks skills+passive and not just focusing magic dmg.

WholeGrn

01-05-2010

Quote:

It should be "So I do a little more on Parrrley, a lot less on melee. Big deal.

I might've said this before but your build maximizes on Parley damage at the cost of overall damage. And when you maximize the Parley damage, you're only increasing it by a small amount while completely destroying your potentially effective melee. When you're not maximizing Parley damage via Magic Pen, you get to focus more on Crit Chance items (PDancer, Avarice Blade, ect.), focus more on crit damage runes, (because you have the crit chance) and eventually focus more on damage items. More Crit Damage and pure damage still scale with Parley, not as much as Magic Pen, AND it scales with melee attack.

Also, champions shouldn't be bound to one role. Some champions are, but not all. Gangplank is both a nuker and a melee dps. With the "cookie cutter" build, Gangplank can achieve both sucessfully. You obviously can't have the best of both, but each role is viable and when combined it makes him into a great champion. However, with your build you lean on the nuking part which gimps his auto attack and gimps Gangplank as a champion overall.

Heat n Serve

01-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementz View Post
Someone has 14% crit vs someone who has 44%. Who's gonna do more damage?
All else held constant, the one with 44%. But we are comparing different builds. If you really want to prove me wrong, make a build (items/runes/masteries) spending a fixed amount of gold (say 8000), and calculate the expected parrrley damage assuming a target of around 50 MR. I will respond in kind with a build of similar cost that does more expected damage.

EDIT: I should mention that I have close to 44% chance to crit once I get my agility cloak

To everyone else, I am enjoying all of these arguments and appreciate the lively discussion. I really need to start getting some work done, so my apologies if I don't respond.

You all have your Melee-plank, I have my Caster-plank. I will continue winning games with my playstyle until the meta-game evolves such that it is no longer viable. I bid you all farewell.

EDITED so that Wholegrn doesn't feel insulted.

WholeGrn

01-05-2010

I don't enjoy the term carry plank >_> It is like you're silently insulting us.

pancaked

01-09-2010

this build has really brought out the true potential of this champion - a ranged nuke.

greate guide heat n serve. i have played him generally following ur recommend build and might have played around 40 games with it, and winning over 85% of them and the losses comes from the first few game of getting used to.

it really brings out the missing mid game if i go for the more common critical build. and LoL is meant to be decisive in the mid-game.

also, lately i find more n more gankplank players turning to your build.

i especially like guise and tri-force as the 2 starting items.

With the small regen/cooldown/magic pen, that really gives u a better chance to stay in your lane longer, for the extra experience points, and give you the options whether to parrley a creep or harrass your enemy.
Yes avarice blade gives 5 gold/10 sec, and 12% cric. But, with no regens, you'll be a harrass target.

i dont have any number crunching or theory craft to back up my claim, but if you r a gankplank lover like me, and have a try on this guide, you'll find it out for urself.

True Bandito

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2010

Good guide Heat n Serve, I was inspired by it.

I want to ask about alternative Parrley/Barrage item builds with Gangplank. I am not saying that they are better (probably not) since I only tested it twice so far, and I just want you to tell me your opinions on them.

First:

Doran's Ring
in the beginning. 130 HP + 5 Mp5, + 10 AP means it is a very viable option for bush ganking. That extra HP, and AP will help you to survive or land a first blood more than Haunting Guise starting items IMO. Even should the gank goes bad, you still have 5 Mp5 for regen and a HP consumable. You won't have HP regen but if your gank went well, you will have level advantage to dominate the lane. I harassed Alistar pretty well with this item, even though he was spamming heal non-stop.

Second:

Fiendish Codex
Dunno if it is any better than Guise but it gives you +30 AP as well as 7 Mp5, and 10% reduction in CD. I am thinking that pure attack scales poorly with Parrrley so AP works better.

Third:

Sorcerer's Shoes
because it is a no brainer. I want my magic damage to hit harder.

Fourth: I upgrade the Codex to

Deathfire Grasp
because it improves every single aspect of the codex plus it gives you another nuke to use with Parrrley. Considering that the nuke hits for whooping 30% of target's current HP and has a minimum of 200 damage, it will make a caster Gangplank much better burst damage dealer combined with Parrrley.
Sheen is also great, as you said BUT I found out that the extra mana is not needed by Gangplank. His spells are all 2 digit cost and Rally is seldom used. Even his ult, Cannon Barrage costs measly 100 MP. Whenever I have Sheen I will have a total of 700 MP at least and I never use more than 70 % of it any given time, so i think a part of Sheen is a waste. The mana regen from my build is enough to keep Gangplank going most of the time. Grasps' nuke is ranged, as opposed to that of Sheen's--another advantage. Therefore I grab Grasp instead of Sheen.

Fifth: Once I have Deathfire Grasp (instead of Sheen and Guise) and Sorc Shoes, I get

Rylai's Scepter
Now, it says that my spell hits will slow the enemy so theoretically (yeah, I am theory-crafting here) both Parrrley (+35% slow) and Cannon Barrage (another 15% slow aside from his own slow?) should benefit from it. Gangplank needs a slow for chasing and this will deliver. Granted, the slow won't affect melee attacks but caster Gangplank in melee range is a foolish thing in a fight.
I have seen my Cannon Barrage did frost slow (thanks to Scepter?) on multiple enemies along with my own slow but I am not very sure whether the slow is additive or not. Perhaps you can check for me.
The +500 Hp will give me more survivability and + 80 AP means my Parrrley will hurt, even without critting. Basically I am getting the Scepter instead of Tri Force.

Finally after I Have Sorc Shoes, Deathfire Grasp, and Rylai's Scepter, I then focus on + Crit items such as Infinity Edge and depending on the enemy team build, more survival items or attack items.

Now, one of my caster build's weakness compared with that of yours is probably less skill CD reduction. Only Deathfire Grasp gives me 15% reduction so I will Parrrley bit less often but Grasps' active nuke makes up for it in many situations (especially if they got a tank), in my opinion.

Now lets hear your opinion on the items I proposed.

JigglyThePuff

01-10-2010

Parrrley has an AP coefficient of 0. All those AP items you're getting do nothing for parrrley.

Parrley scales with three things: Attack damage, crit, and magic penetration.