Parrrley Mechanics Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BILL AND TEDS

01-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat n Serve View Post
3. Parrrley crit their DPS for 800+ damage..
Oh thats hilarious. I am pretty sure you posted this next quote in a reply to me earlier.

Quote:
For crits 800-1000, screen shot it happening in game or it didn't happen. People exaggerate crits all the time just like p-nis size. I see their item build, then I mathcraft them wrong on how you can't crit that high and that they should stop lying.
And I will proceed to copypasta why you were building "cookie cutter" wrong in the first place and have had ****ty results from it.

Quote:
Ive been in since closed beta also, I dont see why that is relevant. I am also going to throw out I am in the top 500 if we are going to say stuff like that.

Malice marks are garbage. Crit chance is horridly easy to gain, hence the stacking of avarices. Furor runes on the other hand..... How many items can you get crit damage from? Two. Infinity + Occult. One of which you must be getting kills and assists to be useful in the first place. Wanna know how much crit damage you get with a furor rune page? 40+%

So yes I have parrrleyed people for over 800 with a snowballed occult, infinity edge, and furor crit damage page. I run a 21/0/9 which also gives me lethality for crit damage and havoc, which apparently is bugged and is applied twice on parrrley from what I have read.

I have never sold my avarices for some other item and have it come out to be a loss in crit. When one gets sold its usually to buy my zeal. If you are absolutely dying for more crit chance for some reason buy an agility pot.

And would I play a crit plank in a tournament as a carry? No. You would play a magic pen plank in one? What exactly is the huge difference? All I see you having as massively different from all your recently played games is a sheen, one game you had triforce, and sometimes magic pen boots. So you're essentially arguing 40 magic pen as this revolutionary build, unless I am mistaken and you have a secret magic pen rune page you play with (which you don't considering I just checked your carry page which gives you 13% crit chance, 13AP, and 27 MR).

Questioning peoples skills/abilities to think in sweeping generalizations because the way they are playing a champion is also quite ignorant.
Quote:
It's "Cookie cutter" because it is by far the most effective way to play a dps gangplank. Time and time again I have been mirror matched against tankplanks, haunting guise gangplanks, etc. And when it comes down to it I wreck them, hard. And I couldn't possibly see how your build takes someone any more skill than the "cookie cutter" to play. You are still spamming parrrley, meleeing, and casting your ult. So please get off your high horse mr. unique snowflake.

Your ult isn't for getting kills, if you do hey great, its too random to buy **** to rely on it. It's made to split them up, slow them, make em run, and essentially screw any sort of composition they have in the team fight.

I have a page just for critplank, is prob my most played champ next to heimer, and I can only think of one out of probably the last 15 games I have played with him that I lost.

Philo > Boots of swiftness > avarice avarice > depending on how games going occult or infinity > zeal > banshees/guardian angel. Late game you should have phantom dancer and BT along with the other "main items"

Imp smite is key to help you get rich quick with last hitting parrrrleys along with philo and avarices.

Last plank game I played I ran around literally critting people for 800-1000 with a 70 something % crit chance while also being a beast in melee due to his amazing passive. Raise morale, not grog
Now let me be clear, for this build to even work you MUST be pushing at least 35% crit damage in runes. The crit damage runes make up for your lack of sheen which is decent early/mid game. You go avarices to abuse the fact you have higher crit damage. Also base damage isnt added on parrrley crits which is why sheen becomes underwhelming. It was a plank nerf in beta back when parrrley was REALLY stupid. Now if you were to be playing this "cookie cutter" the way it was supposed to be played, and complaining, more power to you. But judging by what you are saying, your recently played games, masteries, and rune page you haven't.

WholeGrn

01-05-2010

Quote:
Take a stopwatch and time how long it takes a late game Master Yi or Twitch to completely decimate the other team. Then see how long it takes Gangplank to do this with melee attacks. The message is, if you want a carry, there are much better carries. Keep in mind I'm writing to an audience that plays organized games, not people who pick whatever champ they feel like. If you want to play pub games and carry Gangplank, go for it. Try putting a team together where your Gangplank is the carry, and you'll be eliminated in the first round of any serious tournament you play in. If AoN starts running a carry Gangplank in tournaments, I'll shut up, but otherwise my point remains valid. In the current metagame, he is not a carry. Many people, yourself included, have the logic that when you stack DPS items on someone, they magically become a carry. With that same logic, I could build Soraka with greaves, infinity edge, last whisper and a phantom dancer and say that I will carry. I CAN carry with those items, but that doesn't mean I SHOULD.
My bad, I thought when I said nuker/carry and nuker/semi-carry, I thought you could assume that he shouldn't be the actual carry. Let me spell it out for you, he should be a nuker and physical dps hybrid. Physical DPS != Carry. Sion, Teemo, Nasus, and Malphite should not be the teams only carry, but they are extremely effective as a physical dps and support hybrid. So you're right, Gangplank shouldn't be the carry, however he should (in my opinion) be built as a physical DPS for more consistant damage.

Quote:
Regarding Grog-Soaked Blade, at no point did I imply I don't melee. There is a time and a place for it. If you step in to heavy AOE fire, you're going to get dropped before you can do any damage at all.
Yes, but if you don't melee constantly, you might not be able to get the debuff on someone as soon as you would like. If someone gets nuked, you could apply the healing debuff instantly as a meleePlank on him and he would have a much higher chance of dieing. However, if you need to step in and out of the battle everytime you want to apply the debuff, then you might be too late. This also applies if someone takes unexpected damage. (from AoE or whatever) If you stay in melee range, you can apply the debuff at will and he will not be able to get healed as easily.

Avoid the AoE? If the AoE literally covers the whole battlefield, then you might not want to melee; that is extremely rare/impossible. And taking heavy AoE fire usually drops any melee character (that is not tanky of course) before they can do significant damage.

Quote:
Regarding Remove Scurvy, I get cc-ed all the time. Regardless of where I am or how I play. I'm also still taking damage, so at some point I will need a heal. My build gives it 19% CD reduction (34% after Soul Shroud). How am I making this skill worthless?
The heal on Remove Scurvy is almost neglectable late game. If you're at caster range, the need for a cleanse/remove scurvy is less important. Normally, people won't CC casters unless it is from an aoe, and even then, the aoe cc is more likely to be focused on the melee range. If you get CC'd as a caster, they normally won't focus you down either because they're busy with the carry. If you're in melee range, the aoe damage and aoe cc are much more likely and I think taking the risk of getting in melee range is worth the damage you could deal.

Quote:
Regarding Raise Morale... I can't tell you the number of team fights I've had where there are no minions around because the battle ISNT TAKING PLACE IN A LANE! So often I'm in river, or in woods, or hiding in bushes with my team. It's basically a tower pushing ability, with a nice speed boost for kiting.
You don't always need minions for Raise Morale. If you have a Teemo, he can lay a mushroom and you can shoot it. If your team has a Rally, (which most do) you could time Raise Morale for when the Rally is 1 or 2 seconds from done and you could shoot it. I'm not sure about Wards, but I assume it could be used too. If wards work, then you really don't need timing or communication skills as you can just lay it down and shoot!

Quote:
Regarding Cannon Barrage...

lol, seriously? Now your noobness is showing... If you aren't using Cannon Barrage for damage, then you aren't using it right. It requires an extensive amount of experience to time and position correctly (I'm just beginning to get it right). You have to wait until the enemy commits to the fight. Initiation in team fights is the key to winning anything. If you use Cannon Barrage to initiate, yes they will just run out of it. Wait until they commit to the fight. Let your initiators (Malphite, Rammus, Amumu, etc.) initiate. Once the enemy is committed, they won't be able to leave the fight without sustaining heavy casualties, and are thus forced to deal with the damage.
I'm not saying that you shouldn't acknowledge the damage aspect of it as the aoe slow and damage is what makes the enemy afraid of it. Also, I agree you shouldn't use it to intiate. This might just be a matter of opinon, but I think the aoe slow component is the better aspect of it and you should be focusing on this. Since it doesn't scale well either, you won't get massive damage from it either, just closer to the base damage of the ability with magic penetration. Also I don't care for the damage aspect for it, because the damage aspect is unreliable and it is just random aoe. Anyway, you still didn't provide an arguement of why it should be used for damage, as you just said "If you aren't using Cannon Barrage for damage, then you aren't using it right" and explained how to use it for damage.

Tikor

01-05-2010

I have seen a 1017 parley crit (red numbers in-game). That was a pretty scary gangplank.

Its possible, but you throw your midgame out the window to get there.

WholeGrn

01-05-2010

Discovery: You can use Raise Morale on Wards, so your "Regarding Raise Morale" argument is invalid.

Heat n Serve

01-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsharp View Post
A question after playing a few games with Gangplank- After I get Guise, boots, and Sheen and start towards my IE with a cloak of agility, I find it is early mid game and my crit chance is merely at about 30%. Does it make sense to grab another cloak and build into Atma's after finishing the IE instead of IE->Trinity Force?
Yeah, if you want, that can work... keep in mind I have about 14% crit chance from runes, so at that point I'm usually around 42% chance to crit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL AND TEDS EXCELLENT View Post
Oh thats hilarious. I am pretty sure you posted this next quote in a reply to me earlier.
When I say it, its true....
This build:
http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Gangp...a95184d29d65ad
Will crit a twitch @ 46 magic resist (assume his only resist is Soraka's passive) for 817. Do the math if you don't believe me. I responded to the crit damage argument in that other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WholeGrn View Post
Anyway, you still didn't provide an arguement of why it should be used for damage, as you just said "If you aren't using Cannon Barrage for damage, then you aren't using it right" and explained how to use it for damage.
Because if you can hit a team for 1200 AOE damage, you should.

WholeGrn

01-05-2010

Quote:
Quote:
damage aspect is unreliable and it is just random aoe.
You also can't always assume they will always be in the aoe, much less have all canons hit.

Also, will you counter argue any of my other points?

BILL AND TEDS

01-05-2010

Quote:
Yeah, if you want, that can work... keep in mind I have about 14% crit chance from runes, so at that point I'm usually around 42% chance to crit.

When I say it, its true....
This build:
http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Gangp...a95184d29d65ad
Will crit a twitch @ 46 magic resist (assume his only resist is Soraka's passive) for 817. Do the math if you don't believe me. I responded to the crit damage argument in that other thread.

The AE is a gamble for damage, you aren't going to launch it and say "oh im gonna kill this guy"

And I dont see anywhere in your link about what the crit dmg rune build can and cannot do. Also again I will say, BASE damage (as in the base damage sheen increases) is NOT factored into parrrley CRITS. Regular hits yes, crits no. No base damage is factored.

Like I said in other posts, this haunting guise fad is quite ridiculous when it is being touted as the end all dps plank builds when there is 0 arguments that it out damages the crit dmg rune build, all you can do is theorycraft barrage damage and some how justify an extra 40 magic pen is out doing an extra 43% in crit damage.

Go ahead calculate it. 43% crit dmg in runes (since I dont use blue furor), infinity, snowballed occult, phantom dancer, maxed bloodthirster. 21 points in offense. Also like I said before, havoc is bugged and the 5% bonus is applied twice to parrrley unless they ninja fixed it.

Edit: That site you linked doesn't even support masteries, I have yet to find where it would show theoretical parrrrley damage, and it also does not show whether it is showing your BT and occult maxed out or not. In otherwords, it's unreliable.

Heat n Serve

01-05-2010

EDIT: meant for wholegrn
Sorry I had to run before.

When I ult correctly, at least 4 of them are in the AOE. At least 3 of them eat 2 cannons each. The damage is NOT unreliable if you have their whole team in the AOE. There are too many cannons and too many people in the same area for the damage to be "unreliable". If you do it right, you should at least that much AOE damage, keep in mind that my magic pen actually helps. 30% Damage amplification is nothing to laugh at. If someone gets hits by 4 or 5 cannons, then great. You don't need that to happen though to inflict serious damage. The slow also keeps people in place, makes it difficult for them to kite your DPS.

Your other points? If you want to pay 90 gold everytime you want to raise moral, go for it. The rally flag will probably last longer than the battle, so when are you going to get the chance to shoot it?

Everyone keeps talking about Grog blade like it is this game breaking thing... it's a passive. When you play as other champs, do you buy an executioner's calling on all of them every time? Rarely do I see level 30s equip a summoner heal.

Heal scales with magic resist/armor. I actually build MR runes in my plank. So no, it's not worthless late game. And I don't know how to convince you that I get cc-ed all the time and that I use it just as much as you do, so I guess I'll stop trying. Parrrley doesn't have that long of a range that I can stay completely free of danger while casting it.

Elementz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

01-05-2010

Heat n Serve..

You got some interesting info but im sorry to say that build isn't very good.

You a lack a tonne of crit and without the gold from avirices etc.. You could have a lot more farm with them and crit too which you need early to do well with Parrrley.

It's just a lackluster build for pirate.

Auto attacking when I play Pirate happens a **** load of the time because I do carry with him quite a lot. Getting the "cookie cutter" way is far superior in terms of farming, and auto attacking with Parrrley only doing slightly less damage overall but critting a lot more.

So for more farm, higher auto damage, and higher overall crit for a little less damage on Parrrely is what it breaks down too.

Your build is simply "Parrrely and be lackluster in other area's"

Also for not being able to hit for over 1000 quote I read above there..

Get sorc boots, trin, occult, n get a IE. Over 1k easily without runepage of +crit.

Did it last game would of loved to post it but for some reason all my screen shots are comming out black.

Anywho you may be a math wizz but you lack a lot of common sense when it comes to playing it seems.

Heat n Serve

01-05-2010

Quote:
The AE is a gamble for damage, you aren't going to launch it and say "oh im gonna kill this guy"
You can't aim it at one guy, but if 5 people are standing in the AOE, more than one person is going to get a cannon or two in the face.

Quote:
And I dont see anywhere in your link about what the crit dmg rune build can and cannot do. Also again I will say, BASE damage (as in the base damage sheen increases) is NOT factored into parrrley CRITS. Regular hits yes, crits no. No base damage is factored.
Why do you tell me things I already know? I have the equations posted on the front page. I know game mechanics. Damage is damage.

Quote:
Like I said in other posts, this haunting guise fad is quite ridiculous when it is being touted as the end all dps plank builds when there is 0 arguments that it out damages the crit dmg rune build, all you can do is theorycraft barrage damage and some how justify an extra 40 magic pen is out doing an extra 43% in crit damage.
Magic pen amplifies all damage, including sheen. If you Parrrley for 770 against a 30 magic resist target, you can hit for 30% more (1000 damage) if you spend some gold on magic pen. +30% all damage is almost as good as 43% crit damage, and it's a lot more affordable. Also how is this a fad? I swear I'm the only one promoting this on the forums.

Quote:
Go ahead calculate it. 43% crit dmg in runes (since I dont use blue furor), infinity, snowballed occult, phantom dancer, maxed bloodthirster. 21 points in offense. Also like I said before, havoc is bugged and the 5% bonus is applied twice to parrrley unless they ninja fixed it.
With that build (everything maxed) you will hit for 1589 against 0 MR and 1143 against 46 MR (assuming 1 point in archaic knowledge). That's with an EXTREME late game scenario. I can hit for 817 spending for less gold spent and do it earlier in the game (30 min on average, 25 if I go on a good run). If I were really ambitious, I would mathcraft the entire thing... average damage after 200 or so parrrley shots, who comes out on top with least amount of gold spent... but I'm too lazy, and should be more worried about graduating. On the times when you don't crit, all that crit damage goes to waste. If I can max crit higher than you for spending the same amount of gold, and parrrley for more expected (see: expectation) damage, then I'd say it sounds like a reasonable way to play. And if you are building for melee, you'd be r*tarded not to get Armor Pen (tell me why your build doesn't have a last whisper, or a black cleaver).

It's hard to optimize physical and magic damage... usually you pick one and roll with it. You don't seem to be going for either.

Quote:
Edit: That site you linked doesn't even support masteries, I have yet to find where it would show theoretical parrrrley damage, and it also does not show whether it is showing your BT and occult maxed out or not. In otherwords, it's unreliable.
I did the math myself (the equations are on the front page). I just wanted to show you the build and base damage for a level 14 plank. It has crit damage and item damge on the first tab, so you can tell if items are maxed out (they are in that implementation). Websites are hard to use, I know, it's okay. My mastery is 9/0/21, all you need to know for that calculation I did is that I have a point in Archaic Knowledge. Your claim that it's unreliable is false, you just didn't know how to read it.

EDIT: changed ******ed to r*tarded; don't censor me cyber-nanny.