Parrrley Mechanics Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morzas

01-19-2010

You can deny the creep while the enemy is in XP range. I do this all the time and I stay a level ahead of the other guys in my lane. The big problem with this tactic is that Gangplank doesn't have a lot of lane presence early on (unless you have crit chance runes, which will allow you to harass early with some success), so your lane partner needs to be able to harass, clear creeps or punish enemies for being in tower range (Blitzcrank, Rammus, Singed, etc.) or all you'll be doing is helping your enemies push your tower down. Another good option is having a ganker.

Heat n Serve, you're right that Crit damage runes are negated by a Negatron Cloak, but the entire enemy team has to purchase them to do it, so they actually aren't that bad of an investment. I've been testing out crit damage runes, and I really don't like them because you have to play for a really late game to make them effective. I think finding the ideal mix of Crit Chance and Crit Damage is the way to go. Magic Penetration is definitely the way to go in terms of starting items and boots though, the damage cannon barrage does is absurd when you have a Haunting Guise and Sorcerer's Shoes.

Psi21

01-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat n Serve View Post
With 300% crit damage, 50 magic resist targets completely negate all that expensive IP spent and brings you back to where you started.
3 x damage x 100/150 = 2 x damage
Crit chance items don't increase damage... they increase the chance to do damage. Parrrley is a random variable. If only people took some statistics courses, they could understand the ramifications of that.
The above maybe very much true.

With rune page (crit damage) + mastery spec + infinity blade my highest crit was for 2K
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/4448/lcrit.jpg

By the way I very much like your write up on Gangplank.

Just making a point that crit damage has its place too.

Oh quick question for you guys out there is cooldown reduction capped at 40%?

and what is the soft cap on dodge percent? I have only gotten it to about 54%.

Tyrfang

01-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morzas View Post
You can deny the creep while the enemy is in XP range. I do this all the time and I stay a level ahead of the other guys in my lane. The big problem with this tactic is that Gangplank doesn't have a lot of lane presence early on (unless you have crit chance runes, which will allow you to harass early with some success), so your lane partner needs to be able to harass, clear creeps or punish enemies for being in tower range (Blitzcrank, Rammus, Singed, etc.) or all you'll be doing is helping your enemies push your tower down. Another good option is having a ganker.

Heat n Serve, you're right that Crit damage runes are negated by a Negatron Cloak, but the entire enemy team has to purchase them to do it, so they actually aren't that bad of an investment. I've been testing out crit damage runes, and I really don't like them because you have to play for a really late game to make them effective. I think finding the ideal mix of Crit Chance and Crit Damage is the way to go. Magic Penetration is definitely the way to go in terms of starting items and boots though, the damage cannon barrage does is absurd when you have a Haunting Guise and Sorcerer's Shoes.
When I use it on cannon minions in range, it doesn't seem to stop enemy heroes from getting XP. I suppose I can test it more throughly at some point, but I'm pretty sure they get XP so long as it is in range...

Heat n Serve

01-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by inept View Post
i will respectfully disagree heat n serve, twitch purely relies on spray n pray and is solely a glass cannon so obviously he can put out more DPS, but yi is jsut trash I dont even know why you bring him up...1 parley and hes dead. Your DPS is special because of your passive, which reduces lifesteal on other carries. that is why you can dominate any carry with this build, you can even 1v1 udyr.

its also hard to take you seriously when you say hes one of the best farming chars when you shouldnt even have a chance to farm past level 6...its all teamfights after that. if you arent wiping them every single fight then you wont be receiving even close to the money you get from the rice blades if you do the agility cloak build you speak of.

i have a hard time believing that good opponents just let you farm your items
I agree that you need to 5 man roam with your team often. I still manage to get Guise, boots of speed, sheen, and infinity edge @ 30 minutes on average. Usually the game doesn't last much longer than that. The guise and sheen are all you really need out of the laning phase. After that I roam/farm and still get infinity edge before 30.

My DPS is not special. The passive doesn't raise your DPS (significantly, at least), it only reduces lifesteal/healing. I seriously question any Gangplank who builds for melee, cause I really doubt their ability to survive in team fights. I have a hard enough time surviving at range, and I get 40 magic resist from runes at level 18. I really don't know what kind of teams these people are playing where they aren't getting torn up when they go in to melee.

I'm sorry that you disagree... at least you did it respectfully. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morzas View Post
Crit damage can work, I believe, but before you finish infinity edge, you probably need to buy a second agility cloak. It's workable, but until you finish the infinity edge, the result is the same as having no crit damage runes and an infinity edge.

All I was saying, is that most of these Gangplanks that mass crit damage don't buy any magic pen to support it, and that is when it becomes wasteful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi21 View Post
The above maybe very much true.

With rune page (crit damage) + mastery spec + infinity blade my highest crit was for 2K
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/4448/lcrit.jpg

By the way I very much like your write up on Gangplank.

Just making a point that crit damage has its place too.

Oh quick question for you guys out there is cooldown reduction capped at 40%?

and what is the soft cap on dodge percent? I have only gotten it to about 54%.
You made a noob mistake by looking at the endgame readout for highest crit. Neutral minion camps often have negative magic resist, which amplify parrrley significantly, bosting your crit to way higher than it should read when you parrrley a champ. Go ahead, plug your items in to figure out your damage and use my equations on a 50 magic resist target. You'll see that 2k crit requires an absurd amount of maxed out bloodthirster and crit damage to hit someone for 2k.

Cooldown hardcaps at 40%.

So far as I know dodge has no cap. It becomes harder to stack it, though. If you are at 54% dodge and you buy another phantom dancer, your dodge will be 63.2%. You only get 9.2% out of 20% possible dodge from that next item.

Constrictor

01-20-2010

Quote:
The ones that you play against must not be that good. I say the same things about nubs who mass avarices. In mirror matches where each Gangplank has spent the same amount of gold (say, 2600) in items to start the game, I usually non-crit for about as hard as they crit. Rarely do I play in a solo-queue game with bad players, so I gotta believe that my ELO is somewhere up there (though I know it's not top 500).

Why don't you just buy 2x agility cloaks since you are going to turn them into infinity and phantom dancer anyways? Gangplank is one of the best farmers in the game, you don't need gold-per-ten items. All that leaves you with is 2250 gold spent on chance to crit that you could have gotten from other items that upgrade to better items. Avarices delay your build since you won't be selling them until 15 minutes or so when they break even. If you start at even, and you wait 15 minutes to get back to even, then you are 15 minutes behind in terms of items. You have to hang on to the avarices longer for them to start paying off. What if the game ends by then? Then that investment goes down the drain. Every Gangplank out there is only buying avarices b/c they saw some other Gangplank do it. And it spread like wildfire. There is no real strategy to it. 2x Agility cloaks are 490 gold cheaper than 3 avarices... and you actually turn them into other items. Did I mention Gangplank is one of the best farmers in the game? Why does he need farm items? Finally, attack speed doesn't scale well on Gangplank, especially early game. His base attack rate is low enough that IAS items don't help him much. Only at high levels does attack speed actually amount to something, and even still, it's not as much benefit as getting attack speed on Twitch or Yi.

More damage than any other character? Ever play against Yi or Twitch? In the time it takes for Gangplank to do something, Yi and Twitch can do it 5 times over. I would like to point out at this point that you have no magic resist or armor (prior to Guardian, if the game even goes long enough for you to buy one after all those damage/dps items. What's going to save you from AOE raining on you when you go in to melee with all your avarices and infinity edge? Nothing.

With 300% crit damage, 50 magic resist targets completely negate all that expensive IP spent and brings you back to where you started.
3 x damage x 100/150 = 2 x damage
Crit chance items don't increase damage... they increase the chance to do damage. Parrrley is a random variable. If only people took some statistics courses, they could understand the ramifications of that.

I get infinity edge and tri-force also. All these "melee-plank" players run around saying, "I get the best of both worlds, look at how awesome my melee is!" I never see a single one of them get armor penetration. Also I don't rely on crit rate to beef up parrrley... it's all about expected damage. Statistically, my Parrrley will do more damage than yours.

I could say the same thing about buying some decent armor, since you have no armor pen in your build. Furthermore, most of these "melee-planks" have zero survivability in terms of HP/armor/resist. Did I mention how much better Cannon Barrage is with magic penetration? Try it sometime when all 5 of them are clustered together and wait for the double/triple kills to roll in. If you aren't hitting people with it, then you aren't casting it on the right spot or at the right time in the battle.
I gotta admit, magic penetration gangplank ends up being better than melee gangplank, largely due to the powerful ultimate. Proper placement in a teamfight is just plain brutal.

Psi21

01-20-2010

Quote:
You made a noob mistake by looking at the endgame readout for highest crit. Neutral minion camps often have negative magic resist, which amplify parrrley significantly, bosting your crit to way higher than it should read when you parrrley a champ. Go ahead, plug your items in to figure out your damage and use my equations on a 50 magic resist target. You'll see that 2k crit requires an absurd amount of maxed out bloodthirster and crit damage to hit someone for 2k.
Unfortunately, I don't have a means of checking who I parley in that stat sheet. It is entirely possible I could have parley a neutral creep for that much.

I will admit I don't creep at level 18 often thou. (unless your talking about baron) I usually am stuck with my 5 man gank squad for survival and killing purposes.

Additionally I was looking at the champions starting stats and their natural leveling progression. Each have their own starting MR. And so far I don't see any of them increasing MR from pure leveling alone.

It is entirely possible that on a dps champion who is striving for nothing but attack speed/crit/life steal may never pick up a MR item while they are building.
(For example: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...The_Plague_Rat - and this is just and example he has a mere 25 MR and doesn't typically build towards MR)

In this case singling them out can produce a high crit even if you are just sporting Sorcerer's Shoes.

In a long end game I typically have Over 300% crit damage (due to runes, mastery spec and infinity+occult) and have the following items.

My build is Sorcerer's Shoes, Infinity Edge, TriForce, Sword of Occult, and 2 X Bloodthirster.

Do you think I should trade a Bloodthirster for a Haunting Guise if I am clearly looking for the highest crit possible from Parley? Keeping in mind of course to always target a champ who has bought no such MR items?

Heat n Serve

01-20-2010

Part of the purpose of me putting the equations in this guide was so that people could answer build questions like this by calculating the damage done by each hypothetical build against a target of a given magic resistance. Gangplank has 106 base damage at level 18. You should be able to figure out the rest.

There are several aspects of the endgame display that are still bugged, and I don't trust that it is truely giving a person the correct highest crit. You should be observant enough to see the crit numbers over enemy champs and remember them. I'm amazed at how few people are aware of the damage they are actually doing until the game has already ended.

Don't rely on the endgame screen. This is why I say to people, "Screen shot it happening in game, or it didn't happen." Frequently the crit numbers people give me don't match up with their item build.

Psi21

01-20-2010

I used your formula got some values I like and some I didn't.

I even figured some extremes such as magic penetration + Abyssal Scepter and if the target was affected by Bushwhack.

All interesting. Over all thanks again for the guide.

Heat n Serve

01-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi21 View Post
I used your formula got some values I like and some I didn't.

I even figured some extremes such as magic penetration + Abyssal Scepter and if the target was affected by Bushwhack.

All interesting. Over all thanks again for the guide.
Keep in mind that magic penetration does not work on negative magic resist targets. Also, in case it wasn't clear from the equations, you can't penetrate below zero. For all practical purposes, most targets will have positive magic resist.

Note that magic defense reduction is applied in this order:
1. % reduction (Bushwhack)
2. Flat reduction (Abyssal scepter, Fiddlestick's passive Dread, etc)
3. % penetration (Void Staff, Archaic Knowledge)
4. Flat penetration (Sorcerer's Shoes, Haunting Guise, Runes of Insight)

Apply 1 & 2 to get the enemy target's new resist value, which you and your teammates will see. Apply 3 & 4 to that new value based on what magic penetration you possess.

Beej

01-21-2010

Someone might have posted this already but... a note on Parley's on hit effect:

Tiamat works with parley. If you go for sheen as recommended (because it gives the most parley damage 1260g can buy if bought first), flat damage is more effective (for increasing average parley dmg) early game than crit chance. If you are pressed for cash and they group up a lot, tiamat is a cheap way to greatly boost your overall parley damage output. It also works late game, Critting someone for 1k with everyone nearby taking 400 is not too shabby.
- I don't get it often (because there usually are better options), but situationally it can be very good.

As a side note, I wrote an excel file that allows you to compare parley damage for different item builds (well, stat bonuses) and plots damage vs. enemy resist. PM me or reply to the post if you want me to send it to you, its not real polished so I wasnt going to post it.

Another thing to know is that, when the enemy is stacking magic resist, they reach a point where it is more effective for you to get flat damage + crit + crit damage over magic pen. The easiest example is, if the game runs long, and the enemy team all has over 100 resist, swap your guise for a bloodthirster, or another infinity (if you have 80% or less crit, I know the passive is wasted on the second infinity, but it is high damage/crit chance it one item slot).