Alister, confused a bit.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

stalecookie

12-10-2009

So I read some guides about Alister that are like, he is a tank stack HP, hes a beast.

Other guides say he has good enough HP already why stack that, go attack.

So I was wondering if one is better or these are just playstyle preferences?

I like tank more with things like Frozen Mallet, but how good is Ability Power on Alister?

Thanks

~Will

Lightwrks

12-10-2009

I never make Alistar too deep into a tank, but somewhere as a surviving assist machine.

Go Chalice -> Boots of choice -> Sheen -> Force of Nature

You'll be doing enough damage with your abilities to help knock down anyone, and I never find surviving that difficult. Don't underestimate the spamming of your roar. With the Chalice it's almost required.

JonTehKnight

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2009

Sapphire Crystal->Tear->moar AP!>VICTORY!

Seriously though, he really does have some of the best HP gains in the game so it's not necessary to stack HP but it's nice with some armor to make him a great tank.

Instead of attack power for an alt build, I'd recommend getting Tear first and adding in some AP. This way his heals do more and with heal his max mana grows, this makes him an insane pusher, not to mention if you can manage lots of AP his Pulverize and Headbutt will do some good damage as well.

I think either build really depends on your team though whether they need a support/pusher or tank.

Kowbasher

12-10-2009

I run Alistar as my main and my focus is pure support and tower killing. Rally + Promote along with Innovating Locket always me to support my team to the fullest, because honestly Alistar is there to stun and heal, not kill.

As for survivability I'm currently specced 0/25/0 and I find that I am more than hard enough to avoid getting destroyed. I buy Doran's Shield and a mana pot first thing and I never worry about health for the rest of game.

For items I grab Doran's Shield -> Mana Manipulator -> Boots -> Innovating Locket -> Sheen. By them I have eaten most of the towers on the map or have won. If I am getting ganked I always pick up Gaurdian Angel right after the boots, which is always a nasty surprise for the enemy when the stun cow pops back up.

The one thing that drives me up the wall is Alistar's lack of a mana pool. I'd be worried about getting that up than stacking health the entire game.

stalecookie

12-10-2009

What do you guys run for Rune/Summoner Spells.

I was thinking about trying to solve some of his mana problems through them, making him less item dependent.

Could Clarity (if thats the name, its the mana one) help. Or mp5 runes?

I mean I don't know if this would be worth it considering you itemize into chalice, locket, what have you almost religiously anyways.

I dont know just thinking.

GnomeChomsky

12-10-2009

I play Alistar as my main, and I'm honestly still experimenting. A lot of different builds work well, and it's difficult to say what is the best route.

Sheen is the one item that seems to be a must - as it has such good synergy with his high attack damage and ability spam.

Locket isn't bad, but I haven't used it for a long while. Pure support builds tend to suffer if the game goes on too long because Alistar is such a terrible farmer without some AP or a Sunfire. If you don't get anything at all to help your offense then you're less of a disruptive force... people can just ignore you after you use your disables.

Rod of Ages is probably underutilized on Alistar - it simultaneously makes him tankier, solves his mana problems, increases the damage on his 1/2 combo, and increases the power of his healing. Alistar has very nice AP scaling since two of his abilities get 1 for 1 on damage and his heal is something like .4.

Chalice is nice, but not mandatory. For a while I was using Clarity and Ghost as my summoner spells, and that was effective for dealing with his mana troubles and allowed me to rush to Sheen and Rod of Ages faster. I wouldn't say those summoner spells are the best options on him though, as I've been experimenting with other ones lately.

Like I said though - even though I've played 60+ games as him I'm still trying things out. One thing that I feel is very important is not to be too rigid in your build though. If you see that the enemy has 4 physical DPS heroes (something that happened last night), then after your Sheen consider building heavy armor with Glacial Shroud and Sunfire Cape. If the enemy has lots of magic damage then going Chalice early game is a must... then Sheen, RoA, perhaps Abyssal Scepter (AP/MR/MR reduction Aura).

Remember... at least get Sheen! You don't want to do no damage whatsoever... and Sheen is the best thing to help your damage.

I also think it's foolish to build a wholly offensive Alistar... you can't neglect your offense completely, but it's still not your role. You're an initiator and support hero.

Remember that headbutt can be used to initiate in group fights. Headbutt their tank, ult immediately, pulverise, and then go for their mages and DPS. Your DPS/mages then roll in and the enemy team is forced to ignore you since the ult makes your damage mitigation ridiculous.

fishbutt2

12-10-2009

with huge HP just play to the other team... if they most have mages do MR and mostly melee do like phantom.

Puff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2009

Most games for me

Dorans shield, Sheen, Merc treads, Aegis, Soul Shroud = Happy Team and Happy Alistar.

Lemt

12-10-2009

I'm playing him now as mostly support. Spells are Teleport and Rally (Rally is double-duty as a heal and a team buff), and I start with mana manipulator. Get you Roar up, but get a few levels in the rest of your skills, except your ult. If you are playing support you shouldn't need more than 1 level in your ult.
Spam Roar like crazy, and stun and headbutt as needed.
Get your Locket ASAP. The locket means you can spam your Roar forever, and greatly support your team in pushes. Drop Rally in fights, stun and headbut people around, have some fun.
Afterwards, get boots. If the enemy targets you a lot get Guargian Angel, otherwise get Aegis of the Legion. From there, build whatever support/tank items you like best.