Necessary team members?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XrBob

12-09-2009

When I play solo queue I usually like to wait until everyone else has picked to pick mine to make sure the team is balanced. Is this needed? My best character is anivia and I like playing her, sometimes I'll play morgana as well. But if it looks like there are too many ranged champs or not enough tanks I try to play malphite or amumu to diversify the team a little bit. I tend not to do as well with them, I feel like I get less kills and die more. The problem with them is that they are melee and in the early game I always try to last hit the minions, but it leaves me easily able to get swamped if the enemy champs focus me. In my last game I found myself just standing away from the minion battle just getting exp, but not last hitting at all.

So I guess my question is, when is it important to change your champ based on the team so far?

And, I feel useless just standing there no getting last hits, but sometimes I have to do that in order to be safe, is that okay?

v3r175s

12-09-2009

imo the balance you bring to the team is negated if you aren't good with the character, if you play anivia really well and aren't good with malphite, don't play him because the balance you are brining to the team is effecitvely useless since you aren't able to play malphite the way he should be played.

Xirus

12-09-2009

I'm going to go the other way and say that balance you bring is great, so it's worth learning to use a few characters. I recommend learning to play those characters, read some guides, etc. From what I understand, there's some really good video guides showing how malphite last hits, for instance.

Plus, it's more fun knowing how to use a few characters.

SomeoneRandom

12-09-2009

every player should know how to play a variety of characters.... if you can learn to play a tank a caster dps, a support and a carry so you can help diversify your team then it would be excellent

What I would give to have more solo pugs who dont play carries..... every single time I queue with 2-3 friends we get a pug who plays a carry and goes 1-12-0...

The thing about tanks in this game is even if your not all that good with them they have inevitability... especially someone like Amumu... even if you die 3-4 times early... if all you do in a group fight is cast your ult you gonna be useful :P

GENERAL NUTBAKED

12-10-2009

I typically try to become good at a variety of characters who could fulfill any role.

For carries, I play Ashe and Master Yi pretty well.
For casters, I can do Kassadin, Annie, Veigar pretty well (still learning Kassadin, hes harder than you think =p), and Morgana (no master at dps morgana, pretty hard to learn)
For support, I can play Survivability Morgana pretty well
For tank, I build Morgana as a max cooldown tank 90% of the time, though when I get the IP I would like to learn Rammus and Amumu (can't wait for Amumu to be available on rotational).

That means I play an assload of practice games, trying to get my skill up by practicing strategies and tactics on lower level players and gradually bringing it up to players of my caliber (which isnt very high, I'm lv16 O.o but thats due to the amount of practice games i play, and i love 3v3 so i do alot of that)

Rudeboymike

12-10-2009

Id rather have a bad champion used by a good player than a good champion used by a bad player.

hence the reason i tell anyone knew to the game to play Ashe. Id rather you be mediocre at Ashe than be worthless at something we need.

Now i also agree with the post, learn how to play one of each type of character well. Just in case the need arises.

Krangbot

12-10-2009

XrBob:

I wish more players thought the way you did, although there is "some" wisdom in the opinion of playing what you are good at. I think the best strategy to follow since LoL is a TEAM GAME not a SOLO game, is to have a well balanced line-up of champs in order to have a better chance of pushing and winning the 5v5 battles.

So the key thing I think is to get really good or at least decent with at least: 1 tank, 1 support, 1 ranged dps, and 1 melee dps. Just incase your main pick is taken or is not needed at all.

Also, keep in mind that a team full of ALL physical dps will need a magical dps champ not another phys dps. Most people do not seem to get the concept that a team full of only ONE type of dps is easily countered by one set of equipment. Whereas a mixed bag of dps forces the other team to be weak to at least some of your dps lineup when they buy defensive equipment unless they cover both, but then both can't be super strong, which is the idea...

Rudeboymike

12-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krangbot View Post
I think the best strategy to follow since LoL is a TEAM GAME not a SOLO game, is to have a well balanced line-up of champs in order to have a better chance of pushing and winning the 5v5 battles.
Lol, you tell that to 4 tank + soraka team.