Alistair: finding it slow to get gold

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Farq

12-09-2009

Few questions about Alistair and I'd appreciate if anyone can offer their wisdom.

Firstly, he seems very slow at farming gold, at least for the early and mid game. After I get Tear of the Goddess in the early game, my plan was to get Innervating Locket, however it takes a **** long time to farm up 2650 gold.

I was wondering if, directly after Tear of the Goddess (which does wonders for his mana pool), I should just get some 'cheaper' items, around 1000 gold ?

e.g.
Chalice of Harmony?
Fiendish Codex?

And yes, I've read the guides, and most of them suggest expensive items. Unless I'm missing out on how Alistair can be an uber farmer (take out 6 towers in a row ? Sunfire Cape?) I'd like some cheaper item alternatives.

And the other thing is - how to play him ? The tanking role is obvious, but I was also wondering about how an AP role for Alistair would work out - i.e. stack on AP to boost his heals and headbutts.

Thanks
Farq.

Farq

12-09-2009

Also what do u think of Frozen Mallet on this guy.

Or a cooldown reduction item build.

Malak al Maut

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2009

Aegis, Boots, Locket or Whatever HP item fits the scenario, Guardian Angel, and Elixer of Fortitude. Go Tank.

DPS Stacked? Sunfire instead of Locket
AP Stacket? Merc Boots + Aegis should have you covered
Getting Focused? Rush Angel.

Spec heavy into defense, @ lvl 30 it should be:
Defense: 21, Utility: 9. Take advantage of the fact you're a big bull with more HP than most of the people thrown against you. Make sure the carry/caster laning with you gets fed.

Karrot

12-09-2009

By the time you get Locket, you won't need Tear. In my experience, at least, Tear has been entirely unnecessary.

You should get a reasonable amount of gold from assists. But yes, it is a slow process.

Don't try AP Alistar. Not much benefit to his heals. Headbutts are... well, they can be used for damage, but really, you're much better off just walking into the enemy team, then using headbutts to knock someone back into your team. The damage won't make much of a difference.

Collapse

12-09-2009

If you want to farm easier get a sheen first and max out roar, that way you can run in and killshot creeps easily as well as healing from any harassment. It also provides some of the extra mana tear would give you.

I tend to get chalice first, that way he generally always has some mana for at least 1 spell and it mitigates spell harassment. Tear is nice but it indeed is rendered useless by the items you're likely to get later.

Frozen mallet is nice for chasing but takes a while to build, you're usually doing teamfights by the time you get it so it's usefulness is somewhat limited compared to other hp items.

If you're super desperate for gold get some gold per 10 runes, the talent, and smite some creeps in your lane. Generally though Alistar is pretty hard to kill, so just get good at running in and last shotting creeps and gold shouldn't be a huge problem.

inept

12-09-2009

yup let the creeps do the damage. just sit back and conserve your energy for spamming heal as it throws off the enemies last shots on your creeps as well as keeping them alive to atk the other creeps. then just run in and last shot them. after you get used to his minimal dmg you will find it easier to judge when to last shot

Jason Only

12-09-2009

Smite can help, if you are starved for gold.

Heart of Gold is an inexpensive item that works quite well with Alistair. It's my second choice after Chalice. Then I start working on the expensive stuff.

Also, call the carries to take down Dragon. You tank, they spank. Everyone profits.

Janna Windforce

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farq View Post
Alistair
Not Dragon Age.

Karrot

12-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faro View Post
Not Dragon Age.
Wow, I didn't even notice. Nice catch.
@OP: I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who does that.

Janna Windforce

12-09-2009

I say Morrigan/Alistair mia in vent.

And when I talk about Dragon Age I say Morgana instead of Morrigan.