Level outpacing skill

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Breidr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2010

So I've been jumping into a lot more games lately because of my new attitude. Taking a lot of flak, but playing with my friends makes it more bearable. I'm on the low end of the skill charts for this game and I'm worried that as I level up, the skill gap is going to become wider. Is there any correlation to the skill of players/summoner level? If so, is there any way to keep my level down? Should I be worried about my "noobness" as I level? I'm really enjoying the ride despite bad beats, just looking for a way to minimize the pain.

Oh, and I just found out that teaming with my buddies level 20 is putting me in games with summoners 5-9 levels higher than myself if that makes a difference as well.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

11-14-2010

Actually I believe if anything the reverse would be true. As you level up there are more people of equal level playing, allowing matchmaking to focus more on 'skill' (elo) without needing to estimate the effect champions of different levels has.

The only real jump most people believe there is with regards to level, is 19-21, when you first gain access to T3 runes and the 21 point mastery in your chosen tree.

(Note: I am not a statistician, so I have no way of knowing if this is actually the case.)

Breidr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2010

Can't be any worse than what I'm already experiencing then. Due to my team I'm facing 19-21 at my level. So by your logic it can only get better .

Burbinator

11-14-2010

You have a hidden normal "elo" ranking based on your w/l record, I don't think level has a whole lot to do with it. So yes the "skill gap" will be getting bigger probably. Once you stop playing with your friends, if your own actual skill hasnt increased, you might find yourself out of place. OTOH the best way to learn is from having someone help you and watching good players play. I wouldn't worry about it, just focus on improving and make note of what your better friends do...

Breidr

11-14-2010

Livestreams are my new addiction, so hopefully they help in a fashion. I guess the best path would be to play as many games as possible to get my elo right and not worry to much about anything else as it is out of my hands. Who knows where I'll end up next month.