The right champion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darkmana

12-09-2009

After playing for about 20 games I've been having some issues playing LoL. So far I've played as two champions: Sion and Ashe. But so far i just can't seem to do very well in-game.

I know the matchmaking system is kinda broken and keeps pitting me against players who are far more skilled than I am but still.

Whenever i play Scion I'm generally not that effective though I've been thinking of trying a nuker build for him since I've had it used very effectively on me before.

Whenever I play Ashe i do relatively well early game but then get ganked like crazy later on. This is partially due to my inexperience with map watching and due to Ashe being a primary gank target but i tend to die way too much.

So what im trying to say it that I need to find a champion (if at all possible) that is more friendly to a player who hasen't touched DotA in his life besides a few LoL games.

I don't think being a ganker or a tank would be the best idea since a bad tank can ruin a game if he doesn't initiate fights well enough and gankers require you to be very good at radar watching.

Any help you guys can give would be great. (PS please don't flame me for being new)

Willz0r

12-09-2009

No worries about being new, most players started out as scrubs in either Dota or LoL. If you aren't into being a tank or carry ( ganker) there aren't many options, you could try a support ( Soraka, Alistar for heals) or disabler ( Has a stun, silence, slow ect). Also, the more you play the more you're map awareness increases.

Check out the guides on this forum for the champions, the well written ones help a hell of alot.

Darkmana

12-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willz0r View Post
No worries about being new, most players started out as scrubs in either Dota or LoL. If you aren't into being a tank or carry ( ganker) there aren't many options, you could try a support ( Soraka, Alistar for heals) or disabler ( Has a stun, silence, slow ect). Also, the more you play the more you're map awareness increases.

Check out the guides on this forum for the champions, the well written ones help a hell of alot.
Hm good idea, do you know any really good Sion nuker guides?

Panzerfauste

12-09-2009

I recommend playing every champion in the game before you focus on playing sion.. you need to learn how each champion plays so you can play against them effectively. 3 tips to avoid ganks 1: watch the minimap if 2 people are missing get to a tower or allies 2: mid-late game do not advance past the river unless you have allies 3: buy items like phage or catalyst people will almost always zerg the lowest HP hero if its not a premade

Joru

12-09-2009

Trying a wider variety of champions would probably be a good idea. "Play everyone once" isn't as easy to recommend now as it was during the launch celebration, but spreading yourself out and exposing yourself to as much as possible is generally a good idea. You've only seen 5% of them, after all; they might just not match your playstyle.

Ashe is usually the most strongly-recommended champion for newbies, but I'm partial to Annie for that purpose. Disintegrate explicitly trains you to last hit (which I think is a more esoteric mechanic than a lot of DotA vets realize), and being a caster, she's less item-dependent than Ashe, at least during the early- and mid-game, and items are pretty confusing for new players. Properly utilizing her stun takes a higher level of nuance than anything Ashe does, but I really don't think it's that hard to wrap your head around.

As Willz0r mentioned, reading guides for anyone you plan on playing is a really good idea. Especially for item builds, which are incredibly easy to screw up when you just try to wing it. And I think practically every Sion guide is an AP nuker guide, so it shouldn't be hard to find help in that respect.

Strangiato

12-09-2009

I was in pretty much the same place you are. Then I switched to playing Taric (w/ an aura build) and went on a 12 game win streak.

I'd suggest playing support (Soraka might be better for you since she's much cheaper to unlock) and build into aura items that increase your survivability (Aegis, Frozen Heart, Soul Shroud). This will make you more difficult to gank, and you'll still provide a benefit to your team when you group up later in the game.

Darkmana

12-09-2009

Bought Nunu, find him pretty fun though i tend to accidently waste his ulti. Now to find a proper guide for his items. I also have to learn to initiate fights better, half the time i end up dead but its usually because my teammates don't see that I'm initiating and advance too late.

There appears to be quite a few guides on Nunu jungling and i was wondering if anyone knows the best of the 4(?) that are available in the guides compendium. Although they are all similar some have some pretty different choices on certain things.

Vert3X

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2009

I think the best characters to learn to play with are ones who farm well (Ashe, Morgana, Sivir, Nasus, Singed, etc.). The more gold you have the better you can equip yourself and contribute to the team. It also becomes much easier to push the lanes and you're still helping the team (instead of ganking).

Tanks are also really good to play early on as you can get away with more mistakes. I would definitely avoid any carries though. Definately take the minute or 2 to read a guide(s) before playing with the character though.

Xirus

12-09-2009

Well, in addition to champion advice, it sounds like you could use some play tips. Focus on playing a champion that can disable the enemy (slow or a prison or the like), and then mid game/late game follow around the more experiened players if they tell you that it's okay. Ask permission first, as you don't want to piss them off.

Learn the movements from them, but realize if they're in the same bracket as you, they're noobs as well, so be ready to grow past their strategies eventually too. You'll be a lot more likely to get ganks/not die in a group