5v5 help- is Hiemerdinger still viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Merlin4JC

11-14-2010

Hey all,

Still fairly new to the game; i do alright in 3v3 but in 5s I turn into a feeder who is probably on many ignore lists >.<. I've heard about a nerf to Hiemerdinger and alot of people are telling me to find another champion. Is Hiewmerdinger still viable in 5v5?

If so, any advice anyone could offer in playing him would be greatly appreciated. All the guides I have seen are pre nerf. Thanks

xpsychedelico

11-14-2010

In the current metagame, Heimer doesn't quite fit in as well compared to the rest. He was popular when push orientated teams were around, Sivir, Alistar, Heimer and Taric were a pretty ridiculous combo. Unfortunately these champions received some direct and indirect nerfs, bringing their effectiveness down.

Heimer can still be played as a pusher/defender/mage, but it is definitely harder. I would recommend you put less emphasis on his turrets, and focus more on his rockets and grenade. If you look at the WCG tournament, one of the teams picked Heimer and I think it was for the finals. You should probably watch the video and see how you can adapt your playstyle to something similar to that, where Heimer is more than just a turret nesting caster.

ClownInMilkTruck

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2010

Unfortunately, the turrets are the basis for the char, his ult is built around them, you can still play a game around heimer's turrets, but your play in relation to them and your placement of them must be excellent, letting people kill your turrets and drain away your mana while you hope the turrets last hit is not a viable way of playing heim, every time they make a move for a turret, harrass, at the very least you'll be marked as an annoying heim and you'll draw the whole team's attention to mid because whoever is laning against you will start complaining about their inability to kill a squishy, which will at least help the rest of your team push, hopefully.

Asymptotic Ape

11-14-2010

I played a game the other night where our team pushed hard early, and then we ran into a brick wall. Luckily we had a team of Amumu, Heimerdinger, Master Yi, Morgana, and Taric. Even though the game took forever and the other had double our kills, we won. Why? We steamrolled the first line of towers very early (before 12 minutes), and so even though they beat us in nearly every team-fight, and their carries (Kog'Maw and Ashe) could rip us to shreds in seconds, it was a war of attrition which they ultimately couldn't win. (I even tried to call a surrended at one point, which proves that you should NEVER do that just because your team has been feeding). After the early game, whenever they took down one of our towers, we took one of theirs. I played Heimer, and while I was not the central reason we won (that would be Yi's amazing backdoor skills), I put the pressure on big-time early. I drove Ashe out of mid lane easily with rockets and turrets. I brought the first tower down by the 8 minute mark I believe. Then Taric/Yi's lane took down their lanes tower. Then we all pushed top and downed that tower. Rinse and repeat. Even though the other team ended up being massively fed, it didn't mean anything because we could just suicide into a tower and minions would do the rest. Of course this was a low level game, but it proves that people underrate Heimer (and Yi).

One thing I've learned from both playing and watching the WCG finals is that rockets early are amazing. You only need 1 point in grenade early (meaning before Upgrade). If I'm going solo-mid with Heimer I almost always get rockets first. Turrets are very mana intensive and if they get picked off it sucks. You should still have 3 levels in Turrets by the time you get your ult, but don't just level them first because everybody tells you to.