Trouble avoiding stuns/slow as a Ranged DPS!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Azista

11-13-2010

I do fairly well when playing Miss Fortune but i find that as soon as I get stunned i loose to any melee DPS when they burst/shock me

I've tried to stay in groups but I feel like they specifically target me and I don't know how to prevent this!

I've used this build ->>> http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...ut-there.xhtml

I've had tons of success with it - but still have soo much trouble getting more then 2 hits on any light melee character without getting stun/ganked

Updated: New Information and help from the posts on this thread

1- Never travel alone
2- Don't innate the fight & don't immediately attack after the fight has started
3- Don't Aggro players, avoid attention
4- It's all about Positioning
5- Keep moving
6- Map awareness - if you don't know where they are, don't be in a bad spot
7- Not getting killed by melee DPS comes with experience and practice

What tips do you guys have? Any help would be appreciated!

Carnations

11-13-2010

Get a tank, or a summoner skill that helps you escape, such as Flash or Ghost (or Cleanse).

fooolishfool

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2010

Basically, this is intended. Since ranged have the huge advantage of being ranged, you have to be pretty squishy later on, especially if you don't build defensive items (which help, a lot). As with the list of things you mentioned, positioning is huge, along with working with/getting protected by your team. An extra thing is map awareness - if you don't know where they are, don't be in a bad spot, and make sure you and your team are buying wards so that you do know where they are. Summoner skills are also really useful, Flash and Ghost are always what I take on ranged carries, since they really do keep you alive when you make mistakes (which you will).

Azista

11-13-2010

Thanks guys! I was thinking about going mass dodge to help this out - ill try it out and yeah i cant wait till i unlock flash lol thanks again!

YummyCheese

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

11-14-2010

To be fair, that guide probably isn't that accurate. Manamune probably delays your IE (which that guide doesn't even suggest!) too much, and you can get buy without the mana regen. It also doesn't even mention green/red elixers (which are incredibly important!).

Finally, it tells you to get ignite, which is a horrible summoner spell on MF: you should probably be getting flash or cleanse as your second.

As for not getting killed by melee DPS, it should come with experience and practice. You've mentioned all the important points.

Ackiel

11-14-2010

IMO ranged dps should always carry cleanse, thats my opinion, and if thats still a problem
then get a guardian angel sir.

xpsychedelico

11-14-2010

Firstly, don't immediately attack after the fight has started. Look for champions near you that have already locked on another target, and attack them. Pay attention to all the enemy champions, if one of them is moving towards you, run back, don't let them get in range to use any CC on you. And even if they do manage to, say Jax leap striking as you move backwards, he will likely end up behind your team's lines and get killed quickly as he's too far from his teammates. Even if you should focus their squishy, if he is too far away, you should never put yourself at a disadvantage when trying to take them down. Settle for second best, at very least someone else will die quickly first and you can then move on to their carry.

As for her ult, don't fire it off the moment the fight has started, avoid attention, and when everyone is busy and grouped up, use it. If you can, fire her ult behind a wall or terrain that impedes them from closing in on you easily. Again, if you notice someone coming towards you to stun or break your channel, it's better you break it yourself and get away than get stunned and killed. Cleanse is also very helpful.

Also, I've found that stacking bloodthirsters on MF is better than rushing an IE, as her main damage in fights is her ult, the quicker you get attack damage, the more damage your ult will do. That's just my preference, you can try it out and see how it goes for you.

Azista

11-14-2010

I am very sucessful now with getting Manamune, Ninja Boots, Bloodthirster, Phantom Dancer, and then Infinity Edge in that order, and wow..

With some runes into dodge and crit, I notice my basic attack is crazy good and I can even toe to toe Melee DPS since I dodge 35% of their hits

Dodge is really underrated and helped me out tremendously

PS- I need Manamune simply because I use Make it Rain with every minion attack wave