Jungle Yi or Laning Yi

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fiver

12-09-2009

When I play Master Yi, I'll normally jungle. However, I have been thinking that it might be more effective to lane, or at least lane for a while without building for a jungle character. Does anyone think one is better, and if so, why?

Kalledon

12-09-2009

I always lane with very minimal jungling. I seem to level faster and get more money by staying in lane.

Argent Shaman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2009

I would suggest laning until about 3-5 on Yi, with this it allows you to get some much needed levels to get skills and gold/items (Mandred's Razor) which will allow you to have a much easier time jungling and allow you to gank much easier.

Really either way is viable just having Yi start out at level 1 in the jungle can be rough.

Fiver

12-09-2009

I've played an insane amount of Yi, and I've gotten the jungle down rather well. I pretty much stay on pace with people who share a lane, though I'm not sure of the value of the extra solo over being able to help control a lane early. Not having to get madreds allows for chalice first, which decreases the number of trips back to the base.

TheTruhan

12-09-2009

Both laning and jungling has their benefits. As you know, jungling..well it's jungling mainly for gold and the fact you get an extra solo lane. But usually you get out-leveled. But the money sometimes is worth the while. In the history of me playing Yi, never have I went jungling coz my build ain't really suited to it. This method is recommended to those who are more focused on late game domination with pure omgwtf items.

Laning doesn't mean you get more gold, but it does keep you tracked with your team's and enemy's level and that is if you don't die or by the maximum died 1 time. Laning real benefit comes in the fact you can TRY to kill the enemy champs, getting both gold and exp. Not only that, you put pressure on the enemy. If you have successfully kiled your enemy a few times, certainly the enemies in your lane would be pressured, in terms of level and gold. I always pick laning because I like the idea of putting pressure, and my build is for early-mid-late domination.

Fiver

12-09-2009

Yeah, getting early kills does change the dynamic of the game. I really never run into a problem with levels, as I am on pace or better 99% of the time with those in lanes, with usually #1 or #2 in creep kills (though some creeps arent worth much). The fact that my mastery tree and summoner spells can be changed to make me more useful tot he team is what I am talking about. Yi is one of the best pushers in the game, and probably the best tower killer. Having him in a lane might mean an early tower or a kill. Getting exhaust might be helpful for that. Instead of madreds, I can go chalice and spam alpha strike to get gold. I can go for boots over vamp early.

AeonMax

12-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
]Yi is one of the best pushers in the game, and probably the best tower killer. Having him in a lane might mean an early tower or a kill.
This is why I stick with the lane. I don't think jungle farming is more productive than lane farming (except for the buffs of course, but you can get those as needed), so I think it's better for the team if Yi mainly stays in the lane, keeps the pressure on, and takes down towers.

Fiver

12-09-2009

What summoner spell is the best for laning with Yi? Ghost/Flash/Exhaust/Cleanse/other

AeonMax

12-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
What summoner spell is the best for laning with Yi? Ghost/Flash/Exhaust/Cleanse/other
I think Cleanse, in its current incarnation, seems to be the best summoner spell in the game at the moment. Two seconds of CC immunity is enough for Yi to do some serious damage, or escape it.

I usually take Clarity as my second summoner spell for the mana on demand. This way I don't need to divert gold into mana regen, and can help my lane partner with mana as well. I'm sure others will prefer Teleport, or Ghost, or Exhaust for different reasons.