having trouble with Kassadin

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GENERAL NUTBAKED

12-09-2009

I am having trouble with Kassadin. I was reading guides and his spells looked amazing, and the guides showed that you could do really well with him. So I spent my IP on this dude and I just cannot use him well.

I typically play a tank/support Morgana, or physical dps such as Ashe, Yi, and Teemo. Even playing Tank Morgana, which I am really good at, I seem to do more substantial dps. But with Kassadin, I am just struggling to even do damage.

It seems like everybody just stacks MR, or the innate MR is just enough to negate my damage. I typically get boots of mobility and zhonya's ring, and then try to get magic penetration items and archangel's staff. But my gold is slow, my kills are few, and my assists are mediocre. My deaths are the only redeeming factor, with my ultimate I dont die much.

I tried everything. with 200-220 AP, I can get most people from 100-60% with Q and E, 50% with riftwalk. Even when I charge riftwalk, I end up just getting them to like 35-40% and then going oom.

Experienced Kassadin players: What am I doing wrong? Why can't I put out the dps that you guys boast about, and how do you guys keep farming and keep gold flowing with your builds (I have tried all of them and I just keep sucking)?

And it seems like even Teemo nowadays gears like a tank. Or stacks lifesteals and just outheals my damage.

J0ko

12-09-2009

As Kassadin, you can't usually take a player's life at full health, so don't try. Instead, harass with your sphere until they're at about half health or so (depending on how squishy they are, wait longer if they have lots of health). At that point, riftwalk into their face and unload a prepped force pulse on them, while getting an auto attack or two off if they aren't dead yet. If they run, riftwalk to them and attempt to finish the kill.

Kassadin's biggest strength imo is his riftwalk. It can really take players by surprise if you use it right. With some practice it can be really OP.

As for farming, use your null sphere to last hit creeps that are out of your range, and if force pulse becomes charged, and you can't get a decent angle on an enemy, go ahead and use it on back row creeps.

Hope that helps. Good luck and have fun with Kass. (Also, Morgana ftw. She's my other main. :P)

GENERAL NUTBAKED

12-09-2009

my sphere seems to consume too much mana to use it to hit backrow creeps AND harass. It seems like most other classes could farm creeps while harassing and managing their mana better

J0ko

12-09-2009

What item are you starting with? I always get meki pendant (mana regen) + 2 hp pots, then upgrade to chalice. It's a great item for very little gold. Don't be afraid to recall and heal if you get your lane pushed to their tower. Getting teleport really helps with this. Just recall every time teleport is up and you have enough gold for your next item or you need to heal.

GENERAL NUTBAKED

12-09-2009

i've used tele/heal, tele/exhaust, and tele/smite. Not sure which is more useful. I dont typically have a problem with people outrunning me, im s o ****ing mobile. But yeah, chalice is a thought. I use it on morgana since its imba, too. I get catalyst b/c I can get Rod of Ages easier that way.

I just feel really weak when playing Kassadin, like even if i'm fed, a fed melee will do more damage.

J0ko

12-09-2009

I always go ignite/tele, with my masteries in the offensive tree. Ignite really helps in hero harassing, and the whole getting them weakened enough for a riftwalk/pulse combo to kill them thing. Plus, with the ignite mastery you get 10 free AP while it's on cooldown, which can really make a difference in early game.

GENERAL NUTBAKED

12-09-2009

I will try these suggestions after my final today and get back to you. hopefully they will make it a little better for me!

1) harass with null sphere/ignite
2)riftwalk/pulse them to death
3) try chalice for some mad regen/magic resistance
4) go boots of mobility/zhonya's ring

is it worth it to use merc threads for 20 spell pen? also, is it worth it for me to pick up an ignore 40% of magic resist item?

I dumped all my influence points on this guy, i want to make it worth it!!!

J0ko

12-09-2009

I think you're thinking of sorc boots, with the magic pen. I'm personally a little sketchy about what boots to get. Merc boots are the ones with the reduced stun/silence/snare etc duration. They're pretty useful if you find yourself being disabled a lot. Otherwise I would go with sorc probably, since you have teleport to get where you need to be fast enough to not have mobility boots.

And yes, void staff is a great item. I usually get it if I'm feeling offensive. Sometimes you'll need more def/hp though, in which case Rylai's is a pretty good choice. It just depends on the opposing team's hero choices and the situation in general.

Also, good luck on your final! I just took my computer science final. It was ez mode. :P

AIM7Sparrow

12-09-2009

Well first of all I don't think anyone can 1hko combo someone with just 200 AP. Not even Annie. Second of all, Kassadin isn't really meant to OHKO. That's why he has riftwalk. The Senate has a really effective and basic build to follow if you're interested in learning the character. Just keep playing with him and you'll soon learn. No worries. I'd also reccomend my personal guide for more of what to do, tips, and overall strategy with Kassadin. It's very long and in depth though so you'll have to put aside a good 20 minutes to read it. I choose to stack overwhelming amounts of AP though because I feel I'm skilled enough with my spells to not have extra HP. Feel free to sub some of my items out for HP ones but overall I think you'd benefit from reading it.

http://leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=33383

Keep at it and you'll learn soon enough! Have fun!

The Senate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2009

Stack Rod of Ages until you understand the champion. Once you get the 'big picture' of Kassadin, you can experiment with things other then Rod of Ages stacking. That's the best way to learn what Kassadin's item priorities are.