The steep newbie learning curve

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

itsSlicer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezialn View Post
It's not that steep. It's just something you get good at with experience.
It's pretty steep. Not this particular game, but DotA like games have a learning curve thats equivalent to the knowledge of how every single champ in the game works.

I guess you're right about certain aspects of the game like map awareness being picked up through experience, but after about 15 games in (I never played DotA) I got the general idea after losing a lot and getting yelled at by my team mates. My map awareness definitely got a lot better even after that, but the hardest thing was playing different champs and actually knowing their capabilities so when I face them I don't get screwed over.

Then again, learning the champs is experience. And it is a learning process. So...steep learning curve? Lol.

My advice is to just play 3 champions you like in the free week, occasionally a champion you have trouble facing against. Then in the next week play another 3 champions mainly and some occasionally champions you want to learn about. Just playing all the champions disorients yourself, but you can definitely and should read up on all the champions abilities. Items is just guides and playing a lot.

I actually still haven't played quite a few champions after playing nearly 300 games: Mundo, Singed, Tryn, Tristana, Nasus, Scion, Taric, Karthus...wow, didn't even realize how many I haven't played. I played enough against them that I know exactly what they do though and how to play against them. Karthus I almost never see in a game though.

Kelin

12-10-2009

You don't have to play a hero you cannot kill yet, just familiarise yourself with the hero. For example, as a kassadin I used to have big problems with fiddlesticks. His fear and silence combination used to wreck me heavily. Just look the abilities up in the game database, look at the cooldowns and mana cost and keep it in mind. Fiddle is still a pain for me, but I do know what to expect and how to counter his ulti (silence him in the blinking fase).

This counts for almost all heroes (like ashe, know the short cooldown of her arrow of doom. You need cleanse to survive. Know that her arrow spray doesn't go through minions so hide behind them)

And this goes on and on for every hero.

Proletaria

12-10-2009

The learning curve isn't steep at all. I hadn't played dota in years when I had a friend introduce me to LoL and after about a month I had the hang of things.

I wouldn't say you could MASTER the game in no-time flat, but you can become relatively familiar with the various aspects of the game (enough that you just need more experience in games to hone your skills, practice timing, and experiment with builds) fairly quickly.

Play solo games, play with your friends who know the game better, and read guides/try to pick up on acronyms. That is the best way to start.

Razerwind

12-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proletaria View Post
The learning curve isn't steep at all. I hadn't played dota in years when I had a friend introduce me to LoL and after about a month I had the hang of things.
Sorry but "about a month I had the hang of things" is a steep learning curve.

FrankMcCrank

12-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razerwind View Post
Sorry but "about a month I had the hang of things" is a steep learning curve.
If you think 1 month is steep you should go back to my little pony games.

Razerwind

12-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMcCrank View Post
If you think 1 month is steep you should go back to my little pony games.
Har. Look at videogames as a whole. Most videogames can be beaten in a weekend. Other game types are once you get the controls down, you're fine. Some FPS have a high learning curve but it doesn't hinder you that bad (TF2) in the beginning.

But saying that LoL's 1 month learning curve is normal is a joke. Most games are done and over in a month. Yes this is a persistent game that you could play for years, but for someone to get into the game and truly understand how it's meant to be played, 1 month is a lot of dedication.