I just don't get Amumu.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cryohazard

12-08-2009

I like playing tanky, disruptive characters. Favorites of mine include Singed, Alistar, and the good Doctor. But after buying Amumu, I just can't seem to get into a groove with him. Nothing I try seems to work- I can't even decide on what skills to get when.

How do I use the little guy? Initiating gets me destroyed (unlike with Singed or Alistar) and I can't stay in the fight for long or do surprising burst damage (like Mundo... or Singed again) nor lane effectively against any ranged champs. His ultimate is nice on paper, but Cleanse makes it completely and utterly useless. He has among the lowest attack power in the game, an utterly baffling skill set, and, well, help.

MuscleMemory

12-08-2009

Hes all about AoE, tantrum and his toggle (forgot the name). Sunfires synergize well, he's kind of a ganker/roamer

wildfire393

12-08-2009

Bandage Toss is a ranged nuke, stun, and initiator. Generally take one rank in it either first or second.
Despair is Amumu's big damage output later in the game. Since it does a percentage of their HP in damage, it is especially effective at taking out tanks. Make sure to toggle this on whenever you are about to Q someone, unless you are desperately short on mana. It can also be used to farm through creep waves and neutral monsters fairly quickly, even when facing multiple promotes, super minions, or even the Baron. You generally want a point at levels 4, 8, and 10-12.
Tantrum is Amumu's bread and butter skill. It has a medium cooldown, low mana cost, decent damage output, and good Area of Effect. And getting hit reduces the cooldown, so it's great for farming creep waves as you can draw aggro from the whole group to reduce cooldowns massively, then spam it to take them out. It also gives some damage reduction to make this more viable. To further make this strategy viable, take the defensive masteries that provide another 2 physical damage blocked and 2 reduced damage from minions.
His ult wins team fights or forces your opponent to burn all of their cleanses right away (which then opens them to being raped by the subsequent Pirate/Fiddle/Nunu/Katarina/whoever AOE ult). In teamfights, your goal is to bandage into the middle of a group with Despair on, fire off your ult and a tantrum, and then depending on how well your team took advantage of this, either chase down stragglers with despair/bandage or gtfo.
His melee also deals a massive MR debuff, so make sure you whack people with it when you're trying to wombo combo them out.

Ghost as a Summoner Spell helps a lot for this, as you can get in and around champions easily and get out easily when you need to. I generally take Fortify as my other summoner spell since I'm deep in Defensive mastery tree anyways, so I can pick up improved fortify, which is vital to a team's success.

As far as item builds go, there are a couple of options. You always want boots of swiftness, but after that there are a few paths.

Tank/Mage: As he has all spells that scale at least somewhat with AP, you can stack AP items on him. Ideally you want 1-2 rods of ages for the HP and MP, then maybe a Rylai's Crystal scepter. Lichbane works well as a lategame item to turn all of your AP into further damage. Rod of ages - Rod of Ages/Rylais - Rylai's/Void Staff (further MR Debuff) - Lich Bane - Zhonya's if you get this far.

Tank/Physical: He's fairly good at stacking health, and Atma's can turn this into a surprising amount of physical damage. With Trinity Force providing you the capability to do 2.5x this whenever you spam a skill (read: often), you can do some pretty serious damage. Warmog's - Warmog's/Leviathan - Force of Nature - Atma's Impaler - Trinity Force

Sunfire Tank: As he already applies a hefty -MR debuff, stacking Sunfire Capes is a fairly effective way to boost your aoe damage output. Sunfire Cape - Sunfire Cape - Force of Nature - Any two other tanky items, or maybe Void Staff for more -MR.

Guthrek

12-08-2009

The thing you might not get from those posts (although totally right about playstyle) is that amumu is barely a tank until he gets midgame items. Alistair, singed and dr mundo all have abilities that make them regen more or resist more, and they also have a much higher health gain than amumu.

For the first maybe ten levels, you're a ganker and an aoe disabler. It's much more hit and run than other tanks; you intiate, but not because you can take the damage, just because you're so ****ed good at it. After that you assumedly will have stacked some health/armor/mr (early sunfire, warmogs, force of nature or just a couple of little mr items) and Then you can just run in circles in the middle of five people. Amumu's damage is deceptively large late game. I find people tend to ignore him a bit because he's not attacking them and he's hard to kill (If itemized right), but the amount of damage your despair/sunfire cape(s) put out is fantastic. Then you clean up stragglers.

p.s. there's also a psychological factor to him not being focussed much, imo. he just doesn't look as dangerous as a 6 feasted cho gath.

Knight Kinetik

12-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrek View Post
The thing you might not get from those posts (although totally right about playstyle) is that amumu is barely a tank until he gets midgame items. Alistair, singed and dr mundo all have abilities that make them regen more or resist more
Tantrum's passive effect gives Amumu some resistance to physical damage, which is pretty handy during the early laning phase of the game.

occultism

12-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrek View Post
p.s. there's also a psychological factor to him not being focussed much, imo. he just doesn't look as dangerous as a 6 feasted cho gath.
Plus he can hide inside 6 feasted chogaths character model and be despairing the **** out of everyone.

Sefam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2009

Amumu is a great hero. However, without any kind of teamwork, he is completely useless . His skills are very powerful but can't manage to do much alone.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2009

Does stun and silence disrupt Curse of The Sad Mummy (his Ult)?

bobsmiththethird

12-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xocolatl View Post
Does stun and silence disrupt Curse of The Sad Mummy (his Ult)?
no it not a channel

Kelvan

12-09-2009

AP is horrible on him, sunfires give you survivability and far more damage per gold