How do you get LOTS of gold?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maji

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2010

I am semi new to LoL, only lvl 8 atm. And I see people posting all these builds of items that are insane amount of gold. What is the best way to go about getting gold? I usually play Annie, and soon Morgana as soon as I get enough IP. Is my best bet to just minion kill or try to float and gank?

R66Y

11-12-2010

The best way is to learn to last hit creeps. Whenever you deal the killing blow to a creep, you get gold. Learn to focus on timing your attacks to always deal the finishing blow to maximize your gold income. This will give you a good foundation to build your champion and hopefull start getting some champion kills and snowball from there.

WeAreLegion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2010

1) Farm lane minions (last hitting)
2) Kill enemy champions (outsmarting, outzoning, outplaying)
3) Destroy enemy buildings (pushing)
4) Farm jungle creeps (off jungling, jungling, dragon, baron)

The worst way to gain gold is:
a) Greed Mastery in the Utility Tree: 6 gold per minute. that's 240 (~10 minion kills worth) gold for a forty minute game. do yourself a favor and put your point into ANYTHING else.
b) Gold/5 items: Don't be fooled, these take a long time to pay off for the stats that they give, even if you sell them or get more than one. Most champions have core items you should try to build.
c) Quintessences of Avarice: 720 gold (~30 minion kills worth) of gold for a forty minute game. You would have to forgo use of any of the other amazing bonuses given by quints to use them.
d) the flat passive gold gain in game: This should be obvious, don't wait in base for more than twenty gold. kill a single minion and then buy.

Uncle Gazpacho

11-13-2010

Simple, learn how to last hit and get kills/assists. Not trying to be an ass or anything, just stating the obvious. Hit people who are going to die if you're not already hitting them and it's possible to do so without putting yourself in danger. If you kill them, you kill them, it's a team game, you getting a kill instead of your teammate hurts them [the other team] just as much and helps your team just as much. Killstealing is something only selfish pubbies care about.

When I was level 8, I was in the same boat you're in. Then I played Nasus, who has to last hit in order to be decent since his Q gets more powerful with last hits and it's his main source of damage, so I had to either last hit like a boss or lose. Far be it for me to tell you how to spend your IP/RP, but buying Nasus and mastering his Q could be very helpful.

In general, it helps to keep a mental picture of how much health your attacks take off melee and caster minions' health bars, let your minions hit their minions down below that threshold, and hit them for the gold. I guess that's really just the definition of last hitting, but sometimes an explanation can be helpful. Just autoattacking stuff, however, is not. I find that the less I autoattack, the more last hits I get, at least early game. It gets to the point later on where your attacks do huge chunks of damage to minions and your minions hardly do any damage at all, so getting last hits is waaaaay easier, but it's still good advice to let your minions do most of the work, since autoattacking is for pushing, and just pushing for no reason is bad and gets you ganked. The optimal position for a lane you're not pushing is pretty much right under your tower with your minions getting attacked and your tower firing on their minions. If that's the case, the usual protocol is hit-tower shot-hit for casters and towershot-towershot-hit for melee minions.

Also, a note Jungle creeps, especially the ones with buffs (Dragon, Baron, Drake, Golem are the major ones): Kill them as early and often as possible. When they respawn, a skull comes up on the minimap. Go kill them again. Those buffs win games, and the gold doesn't hurt either. I just wish someone told me about that when I was level 8. Noooooobody kills neutral buffs at level 8, at least on TT, can't really speak for 5's

Azista

11-14-2010

Last hitting gets easier as your level gets to around 4-5ish / AoE helps a **** LOAD imo

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

11-14-2010

One thing to keep in mind is that the builds people suggest are ideal builds, and that most games will end before they finish it, sometimes even before they finish their second or third big purchase (not counting boots or doran's items etc).

Last hitting is insanely important though. Learn not to push early (there are exceptions to every rule, but know why you are breaking it if you are), and only hit creeps to get the killing blow. Harassment and last hits should be done together, don't focus on one so much that you ignore the other; sometimes you will prioritize one, if you can zone them out of experience range you don't need to focus on last hits as much if doing so will allow them to come back in range.