Learning to CS for non laners

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotHavoc

QA Strategist

04-30-2013
1 of 5 Riot Posts

Okay, I wanted to open up a little discussion for people to talk about good tips to get better at CSing while laning. I personally am not very good, as I main Jungle, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs some good pointers so fire away.

What do you guys do to help yourselves get better as a laner and make sure that your creep score is good, while still looking out for ganks and other opportunities.

[Edit to clarify the original question as there may have been some confusion]

DashOfLoyalty

04-30-2013

When I'm CSing in lane, I always wait til Im 100% sure I'll get that last hit. If the minion's health is getting low, but Im not entirely sure one auto attack will kill it, Ill wait for my minions to get a hit on it before attacking it myself.

M I A Pikachu

04-30-2013

Use the phreak method.
go mid with no runes and try to hit 100 cs by ten mins aka perfect cs IN A CUSTOM GAME

just keep doing that with your favorite champ till you get really good. im up to 90~ cs .
cant do that in an actual game but it helps

Ophirr

04-30-2013

Predict the unit's health. Look at your attack damage (60, for example) and click on the unit to see it's health (left click, not right). When it's health is lower than your attack damage, right click. I found this to be really helpful for a long time, until I just kind of developed the sense for it.
Just be careful when you have the situation where it's a mob of caster units on one minion, as they'll take it down in chunks, so you have to predict it and time it right.

slamor

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotHavoc View Post
Okay, I wanted to open up a little discussion for people to talk about good tips to get better at CSing. I personally am not very good as I am main Jungle, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs some good pointers so fire away.

What do you guys do to help yourselves get better as a laner and make sure that your creep score is good, while still looking out for ganks and other opportunities?
Here is how CS works under turret. You wait for a full HP melee minion to take two hits and then it is ready for a last hit. If it is a caster minion, it may need 1-2 hits depending on your AD. Soraka starcall also makes last hitting caster minions under a turret super easy. 1 star call and auto attack kills a caster minion if a turret hits it.

slamor

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by M I A Pikachu View Post
Use the phreak method.
go mid with no runes and try to hit 100 cs by ten mins aka perfect cs IN A CUSTOM GAME

just keep doing that with your favorite champ till you get really good. im up to 90~ cs .
cant do that in an actual game but it helps
It is possible to take the wraith camp between minion waves to get 100 CS without perfect CS.

Quackas

04-30-2013

You can improve your cs by playing more. Their are no short-cuts in league or life.

edit: I suppose I wasn't being very helpful, if you are having difficulty timing your last hits get attack speed marks (most suggest more ad 2 last hit but I find attacking faster will get you more...usually ppl attack 2 soon or 2 late if it is 2 soon you might get another attack in, if attacking 2 late you wouldn't have gotten it with more ad anyways.) or if you cannot win by out cs'in your opponent continually harass them so they are more focused on you than the creeps.

CJTHeroofTime

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-30-2013

You can't learn to CS and look out for ganks and other opportunities. Well, you can, but if some aspect of that doesn't come to you naturally, you're gonna waste a lot of time.

You have to learn one skill at a time.

Start with last hitting. Your goal is to be able to last hit so naturally that you don't have to think very hard about it, if at all, so that you can think about your minimap, your lane opponent/s, junglers, etc.

To learn last hitting: Custom game, go to a lane with a champion you want to last hit with. See how many last hits you get in 10 minutes. Try again. You'll probably do a bit better. Try again.

It sucks, but that's how you learn a skill. If you have to choose between a little bit of practice every day vs a lot of practice occasionally, a little bit every day will help you improve faster, as everyone has limits as to how much practice can benefit them at any given time. I personally like to do a quick custom before I play ranked games just so I know I'm not cold when the game starts.

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-30-2013

I just guess, mostly; I'm not very good at CSing.

While last hitting is way harder in DotA, I'm still better at it; one of the reasons is that I can stop my attack animation more easily in DotA than in LoL.

Also, in DotA, the creeps have a little tick on the very far left side of their health bar...while it aesthetically doe nothing to let you know when to CS, I think it serves as a better accent, visually of when a target is low.

I'll be honest...given that Riot is all about presentation and simplifying things (ie: loss of control indicators mean it'll be easy to overlap CC); I'm honestly a bit surprised Riot hasn't added a "now!" mark (or at the very least implemented colors for the HP bars) for creeps.....I wouldn't support this, at all, but I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been done.

Zaphery

04-30-2013

For caster minions under a turret, hit it once at full health with auto attack, tower shot, and finish with auto attack.

To above: yeah it's weird, I also find it a lot easier to last hit in dota than in league. It might just be that the auto attack animations are more reponsive?