Is Blitzcrank worth it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

This 0ne Guy

11-12-2010

Hi guys i just started playing this game like a week ago and i wanted to kno if blitzcrank is worth it. I got Heimerdinger cause i like his skills and hes great support. But i hate how squishy he is. I wanted to change it up alil and started lookin for another char and found Blitzcrank interesting.So my question to you experienced players is that if hes worth the 6k? Is he actually a good char? And if he is what type of item builds is best for him?

R66Y

11-12-2010

You don't see him around much anymore. Most of the time he is built as an AP type champion, although hybrid build are used sometimes. His signature move is his rocket fist grab, which pulls an enemy to your position. Good players can/will dodge this however, but with a little practice on landing this skill shot it can be a devastating opening to a fight (grab some poor carry from the other side of a wall and pull him in, stun him, and laugh as your team melts him). His grab also gives him a threat in the laning phase, since you can pull careless champs past their minions and into tower aggro (for serious rage, work with a singed. Laugh as you flip/pull someone from mid lane all the way to your tower).

Personally, I've had fun when playing him, but I wouldn't recommend him as an early buy for someone unless they've given him a go and really liked him. I'd suggest waiting on him until you can give him a spin during a free week.

Memorylame

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2010

Blitzcrank has been responsible for a good portion of rage quits at low levels....

Lethal Culprit

11-12-2010

He is good against people who play poorly and without much care. It will be very easy to pull people on low level games and dominate with him, but the better the players you face, the less you will be able to pull. I personally wouldn't recommend him.

Take a look at Galio. Very high damage for a tank.
I build him as followed:

Chalice
Merc Treads
Banshee's or Randuin's Omen (Depending on enemy team)
Then the other one of the two (Unless they don't have any physical damage; skip the Randuin's then)
Aegis of the Legion (Unless someone else of the team takes that)

Other viable options:

Guardian Angel, Sunfire Cape, Thornmail (Only against VERY Physical damage heavy teams), Abyssal Scepter

Force of Nature is also nice if you need even more M.Resist, but I'm personally not a big fan of that one.

This 0ne Guy

11-12-2010

Thanks for the help guys. I think i will wait for him to be free. But is dodging that grab really easy? I mean i play with heimer. And im pretty good at predicting where people will run and land the grenades. Is it noticeable when the grab starts or something?

R66Y

11-12-2010

Early on you may hit a lot, but the long range shots and grabs through walls will become harder as people you face get better (I can usually dodge long range shots in the open and can use minion in lane to basically stop it from hitting me). Add into that flash or similar abilities and it becomes much harder.

WeAreLegion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris773 View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I think i will wait for him to be free. But is dodging that grab really easy? I mean i play with heimer. And im pretty good at predicting where people will run and land the grenades. Is it noticeable when the grab starts or something?
It's easy to dodge every skillshot. Skillshots are made to be used in clutch situations. What makes it obvious when an opponent is going to use a skillshot is
1) the direction that they position their champion; Opponents will usually face the direction of what they want to do. You can use this to your advantage by keeping zoning in mind. Keeping allied minions between you and the enemy skillshot is the most consistent counter.

2) They start running towards you randomly; There won't be any last hits they're going for so it looks like they want to skillshot you. The best choices in this situation are to employ erratic movements, and use your escape mechanisms. In most cases, it's not a good idea to counter attack even if they have low health. Champions running towards you excitedly is a good hint that you're getting ganked by another lane.

3) they sit in the bushes to "go around" the minions. The solution is simple, run to the other side of your minions outside of range.

Opponents often know these strategies, and are especially wary of a blitzcrank grab, so mind games your opponent by making them play cautiously.
Blitzcranks grab in combination with his powerfist is a pretty deadly placement, stun, then knock up combination, and you'll see people get a banshee's veil just to avoid the initiating grab.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

11-13-2010

I find picking up a champion that is 'easy to dominate with at low levels' very detrimental in the long run. While you might feel you're learning a lot, all you're really learning to do is take advantage of mistakes that won't be very common in the near future. Playing a champion that is strong but doesn't use 'gimmicks' like stealth or blitz's grab train you to play a lot more aggressively and less cautiously than you should be. When they do learn not to stand still and let you grab them with a blitz grab, you will be back where you started, without having learned anything really useful out of your games, against players who have been improving constantly.

This isn't to say pick champions who are underpowered, but make sure you're not only doing well due to a mechanic that they haven't learned to counter yet (burden of knowledge).