How do I master Yi?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lain Experiments

07-19-2010

I've been having on and off games on Master Yi lately...Seems like the only time I can do so much with Yi is when our team has the upperhand, this also counts for team fights. The only time I am effective as a "cleanup" in team fights is when our team has taken 2 or 3 of the enemy team out, if the fight is in the opposing teams favor then I will always die after coming in. If I don't come in after a losing teamfight I would get the occasional "where were you" question. Sure I can backdoor occasionally, but a smart team would be able to send one man off to defend it. Is the new Yi just not as good as the old one?

Here's the builds I normally run on Yi in order:

My starting item depends on if I am jungling or laning.

Lifesteal Sceptor or Cloth Armor+Red Pots>Madreds Razors>Mobility Boots,Wriggles Lantern,Youmou's Ghostblade, Infinity's Edge

Sometimes I get quicksilver's sash due to the cleanse nerf.

If I jungle i use Smite+Ghost, if laning Cleanse+Ghost

Skill Build is R>E>Q>W

I always hit the jungle and try to get most neautrals once I get razors and try to gank once I have red buff. In teamfights I never come in early if I know we do not outnumber them by more than two people, I always come in middle or end depending how the situation is going. The only time I can get away with getting in the fight and dropping DPS is when our team is chasing, if this is not the case by the time I get in the team shifts focus on me once I start attacking the squishy. Should I just stop playing Yi and buy one of the other heroes that do the job better than he does?(Stealing Towers/Cleanup/Escape)
I think he is a strong cleanup hero and all but any champ can do that when the team fight is already won right?

xDiamantx

07-19-2010

No quicksilver sash, don't jungle with yi unless it's really neccessary.

Don't start with vampiric scepter.

Cloth armor is meh, ok I guess if you are going to jungle but if you're not jungling get a doran's shield or a long sword + pots.

It might be better to lvl more meditate or alpha strike if all your gonig to use alpha strike for is chasing. Use meditate when you get snared.

If you are planning to be a powerful late game than you lvl more alpha strike then anything, alpha strike makes you powerful early game.

If you want to do some damage early game than max E first.

Items I go with

Doran's Shield/long sword
Boots
Brutalizer
Avarice blade
Cloak of Agility
Stark's Fervor or make Infinity's Edge
Finish Stark's or Infinity's Edge

Upgrade to Ghostblade somewhere in there.

I get Last Whisper if enemy has a lot of armor
I get Banshee's Veil if they are full of CC
I get guardian angel if i am targeted a lot

Skater901

07-19-2010

There's plenty of Yi guides, you should have a look at some of them.

Me personally, I know the problem you speak of. I think a lot of your problems could be solved by getting a better tank tbh. A tank's job is to protect the squishy DPS champions and try to protect you from all the disables and damage the enemy team would like to drop on you. Heroes like Blitzcrank are really good, they can pull a squishy from the other team to you guys then you can Highlander and kill them without much danger.

EDIT: Also, if they have more than 4 disables, seriously consider getting Mercury's Treads.

xDiamantx

07-19-2010

The current Master Yi guides are either outdated or low ELO.

Serjhe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-19-2010

Learn how to play AP Yi and just roll an opposing team and not care how good your tanks are and meditate/Zring when you get focus fired.

pyrokinetiq

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-19-2010

normally as Yi i start building stark's first, then if i'm going to farm or backdoor i get tiamat's for the aoe damage (you can kill a creep wave in 2-3 hits late-game) then just anything that suits my build, at that point unless my team is failing miserably i can wipe the other team out

Omnicis

07-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater901 View Post
Me personally, I know the problem you speak of. I think a lot of your problems could be solved by getting a better tank tbh.
this is wrong.
the tanks job is to first initiate.
if you die after he initiates, its your own **** fault for coming in at the wrong time.

WithoutSkill

07-20-2010

Offense masteries, runes you fancy most. Exhaust + ignite/ghost

Start : Longsword + pot

Razor
Vamp scythe
Berserker greaves
Zeal
Bloodrazor
Starks
Banshees veil
The BF sword item you fancy most
Phantom dancer

Itzu

07-20-2010

Have Heal + Ghost ( Both for running away and chasing Champions)

No Rejuvination Bead
Berserker's Greaves
Sword of the Divine
Recurve Bow
Infinity's Edge
2 Recurve Bow

Level 1: Wuju Style
Level 2: Alpha Strike
Level 3: Meditate
Level 4: Wuju Style
Level 5: Alpha Strike
Level 6: Highlander
Level 7: Alpha Strike
Level 8: Wuju Style
Level 9: Alpha Strike
Level 10: Wuju Style
Level 11: Highlander
Level 12: Meditate
Level 13: Meditate
Level 14: Meditate
Level 15: Meditate
Level 16: Highlander
Get Highlander for the rest of the levels.

When you go into battle with a Champion(s) use Wuju Style then Highlander then Alpha Strike on them.

Rejuvination Bead is a waste of 200 Gold.
His Attack Damage is good enough with Infinity's Edge and his normal Attack Damage.
Master Yi is a Speed Champion so Attack Speed is good for him.

Vasimr

07-20-2010

play some more and you'll find your way