Chalic vs. TotG

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iLuan

11-11-2010

So I've been reading guides and some of them said to get Tear of the Goddess (for MP Reg purposes). Now I see Chalice of Harmony which is equal or better in terms of MP Reg. So why do people advise TotG instead of Chalice? The mana pool increase? Also, this question excludes upgrading the TotG intead Arch Staff.

Orharnah

11-11-2010

Honestly, a key factor for getting the Tear is because it can be upgraded. I feel that getting it early allows your mana pool to grow for later use as manamune or arch.

SomniumProxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2010

You really need more factors than that to make a decission. It depends which champion you're playing, and more importantly - what does the enemy team have.

Chalice is quite a good item if you have to face mages, as chalice + mercury boots will give you very nice resistance without having to invest in a full MR item.

iLuan

11-11-2010

I main Nidalee. So some guides/friends say Chalice others say Tears. Help?

SomniumProxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2010

If you're playing AP nid, it would be better to use Death Fire Grasp instead (and if you really need it, tear of the goddess).

For damage Nid, well - she really doesn't need that much mana for DPS, the mana you get from sheen should be enough.

PunchGroin

11-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuan View Post
So I've been reading guides and some of them said to get Tear of the Goddess (for MP Reg purposes). Now I see Chalice of Harmony which is equal or better in terms of MP Reg. So why do people advise TotG instead of Chalice? The mana pool increase? Also, this question excludes upgrading the TotG intead Arch Staff.
Tear has two upgrade paths - manamune and AA staff, and both are great. AND you keep the mana boost you got from having a tear the whole game. I grab a tear on every caster I play now. Now, manamune isn't really my favorite item, I really only like it on characters that rely heavily on their autoattack AND have mana problems. (Miss Fortune is a good Example) With most the phys. I play I get a chalice, mostly because that + merc treads gives an extremely respectable amount of MR very early. My Go-to pantheon build is Chalice-Merc Treads- Sword of the Occult - BV/Randuins (Hes a hero I think needs to be able to take some hits, especially with a snowball)

crusinn

11-12-2010

Get the Chalice if the other team is heavy on casters. Otherwise, I tend to get TotG.

xpsychedelico

11-12-2010

Keep in mind the regen for TotG is slower than Chalice when you're low and it takes awhile to build up your mana pool, Chalice provides a quick fix to early game mana issues, and can easily be sold late game for another item slot -- especially if you have mana regen runes. Early game, the regen from Chalice is superior to TotG, late game, TotG is better than a Chalice due to the upgrade. Your choice always depends on what you need and how the enemy team is, as Somnium mentioned.