Hello, and champion help...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HotStanGG

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2010

Hello, i'm new the LoL (Been playing for less than a week) and the forums.

Now with the introduction done let's continue on to my question :P

I am looking for a champion to buy and i need help deciding, my options are as listed:

Amumu - Played as him last week for when it was free, liked his moves but i don't like going all the way up front to do damage. I don't have a thing for tanking either.

Fiddlesticks - Found him to be fun and extremely awesome at lower levels, then once i hit level 5 people realized that running away from drain was a great counter...

Ashe - Got fantastic scores with her, recommended, ranged, slows and a cheap price tag.

Shen - He's a flipping ninja, need i say more? But seriously, he can tank and others can dominate with him mid-late game. I am having troubles trying to achieve the same score though.

Akali - My favorite so far, i've been using her for the past 10(?) games, i get scores from 19-1-6 to 7-5-5. She can jungle, sneak around, farm and murder others, although i have troubles killing a tank without teammates.

These are basically all the champions i've played with and liked, how do you guys think of these champions? Overpowered, downright fail at higher-level games, wonderful choice, suggestions for a similar but better champion, etc.?

SomniumProxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2010

Hey, welcome to LoL :P

Rest assured, with the amount of effort Riot puts into balance, all champions are very viable. The point where champion differences come into play is not just level 30, but the top 0,1% of the players in ranked play, meaning you won't have to bother with that for a long time :P

Anywhere before that, if you're good with a champion, then he's completely viable. However expect your playing style and strategies to change multiple times as you gain levels and get better. (this was mainly regarding Fiddle - it's assumed that you'll have a harder time with him once you hit levels 27-30 when people actually buy wards and expect ganks and counter-gank - but even then it simply requires better strategy. Level 5 countering Fiddle... I'm more inclined to believe that simply you're not used to him yet XD)

If you're not comfortable with tanking don't pick Amumu, he's all about that. You'll be required to be ahead at all times and take most of the damage to be effective.

Ashe is classic, keep playing her, she's a good practice champ. You can also note your progress as your item builds, strategies and summoner spells change in time

As always i recommend Nunu to all new players, he's just a great champ to learn the game with ^^

Gaimcap

11-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guesses View Post
Hello, i'm new the LoL (Been playing for less than a week) and the forums.

Now with the introduction done let's continue on to my question :P

I am looking for a champion to buy and i need help deciding, my options are as listed:

Amumu - Played as him last week for when it was free, liked his moves but i don't like going all the way up front to do damage. I don't have a thing for tanking either.

Fiddlesticks - Found him to be fun and extremely awesome at lower levels, then once i hit level 5 people realized that running away from drain was a great counter...

Ashe - Got fantastic scores with her, recommended, ranged, slows and a cheap price tag.

Shen - He's a flipping ninja, need i say more? But seriously, he can tank and others can dominate with him mid-late game. I am having troubles trying to achieve the same score though.

Akali - My favorite so far, i've been using her for the past 10(?) games, i get scores from 19-1-6 to 7-5-5. She can jungle, sneak around, farm and murder others, although i have troubles killing a tank without teammates.

These are basically all the champions i've played with and liked, how do you guys think of these champions? Overpowered, downright fail at higher-level games, wonderful choice, suggestions for a similar but better champion, etc.?

Ignore "higher" levels. You are not a "higher" level. You will probably never be a "higher" level. I am level 30 and have been playing for over a year and am not a "higher" level. Sadly, higher summoner level does not necessarily mean higher playing skill; there are plenty of bad level 30's. If you don't play this game 4-8 hours a day everyday, you are probably not a "higher" level. and If you're not at a super-competitive "higher" level, hero strengths don't matter too much (In other words, don't pay attention to tier lists). As far as I know, the only champion with which that is not true, is Evelynn (which is why she's being remade), she's just terrible once people wise up to her and plant wards/elixirs, but a few people CAN still play her VERY effectively and destroy entire teams before people figure out how to do that.

My impressions in order:

Amumu: Widely considered one of the best characters, let alone tanks, in the game at the moment. Also cheap and easy to use

Fiddlesticks: Used to be a powerhouse, but with the current playstyle, a little bit weak/mediocre.

Ashe: One of the best, one of the cheapest, one of the easiest to use. She's so cheap and good you may as well buy her right away if you like her.. It'll only take like 7 losses or 3 wins

Shen: One of the best tanks. Hard to use though.

Akali: Personal favorite as well. I've probably played her for almost 100 games and she's just fun. Quite powerful against squishier champions but a team of tanky characters makes her cry a little bit. Her survival is VERY dependent on you having to be on the ball and have good judgment.

And yeah, Nunu is cheap and kinda fun. One final bit of advice: They rotate 10 free champions every week. Almost always try a champion before you buy it. If you buy someone because it sounds fun on paper, you may try them and instantly find that you dislike them (it's happened to me), so save yourself the disappointment and, unless you ABSOLUTELY know you'll like them, wait.

Orharnah

11-11-2010

I wanna note that you've got a good range of champs there. I actually want to recommend that you test out a free support champ as that is the only main type I don't see recommended there.

Aside from that, I've always lumped akali, Kassadin, and poppy together in my mind haha because they can all burst the damage like beasts.

I love me some fiddle, if you like his CC-ness, try someone with a stun (Sion etc) if u like his silence try that (kass or Leblanc) if you like his caster/AP damage (Annie, ryze or veigar) and personally my favorite Mage is Malzahar, but a lot of people do not share my love. He is difficult to master and not that popular. I love him though.

Keith Witcher

11-12-2010

Really the game is pretty well balanced and any areas where that's lacking skill can drastically make up for it, thus making anyone a viable option. I'd say use whoever your most comfortable with, while that seems like very bland advice I say that because I used to get a lot of "why are you playing that?!" for my personal favorite (mordekaiser) which i still dunno why people kept calling him unuseful compared to others.

But upon getting my hands on him after awhile it was my comfiest spot and it becomes reflexive to make quick choices without having to analyze "hmm can I take that? what if this happens?". If your truly comfy playing a champ you can make them kick some ass, I've seen people play the "good" champs so awkwardly they couldn't do much and I've seen people absolutely wreck a game using champs I otherwise don't worry about.

So yes pick whatever fits you best, as for the note about buying before you try I half agree with that. I bought vlad for 6300 and I struggle with it because it didn't play like I thought it would. However, sometimes the rotation wont' be the ones you want. If you -reaaallly- want that one guy you've seen on your team before or who's stats seem right up your alley you may consider springing for it. That's how I got morde and I love it to death now (despite that at least one person who reads this post is going to say "lol fail morde").

I think i got carried away there umm...tl;dr = pick Akali if she's your favorite, maybe grab amumu if you play solo a lot and your team needs a tank as a lot of times i see people click the dpsers and lock before anyone can stop them cuz they only think about PKing.

LuciferWhite

11-12-2010

As a note, I don't particularly recommend playing a tank unless you have a few friends to play with. Knowing that if you initiate, (that is, go in and set where the fight happens, so that they drop all of their CC and or burst on you)that your friends will follow you into a fight is an amazing feeling.

On the flip side, you'll find that playing tanks when you're playing alone often results in disappoint when you initiate and no one on your team follows up.

I'm not level 30, nor am I the greatest player, but if you do need someone to play with, hit me up.

And to echo the other people, if you like Akali, I recommend buying her. Play to have fun.

Klompata

11-12-2010

Well, Ashe is great for begginers, and she's very cheap too! I would reccomend getting Ashe, and then when you have enough money go for Akali, since she's your favorite (mine too!), and a lot of fun to play with.

Hope that helps.

HotStanGG

11-12-2010

Thanks for the long detailed answers, guess i'll go with Akali and Ashe.

Thanks guys.