An Observation on Irelia's Finalized Design from a Game Development Standpoint

1234567 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Garion

11-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelphy View Post
My opinion of the new art...

Good:

Nice attention to detail, love the ornate look of her armor and weapons.

New "headgear" looks nice.

Fits with LoL's art and other characters much better.

Bad:

Her new art needs to darken the color scheme, she can have Ionian colors without this tacky bright red color. Ionian Yi's skin has a better red.

Her hair should at least have a few pieces hanging down in the front, or bangs imo, otherwise with her current hair, it highlights her forehead.
This would alleviate complaints of her head being too large.

Daggers, why orange? It goes with nothing else.

Face needs to be more badass in general, less young, lips need to be smaller.
is this the only thing u post?

Adelle

11-11-2010

It's actually multiple shades of blue vs red, silver and cream.

Silent Reaper

11-11-2010

I still want the Original Concept lol

Peach Plum Pair

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2010

Janna already has something like those sleeves hanging from her G-string.

carIos arco

11-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarlordLucifer View Post
tl;dr Lazyness.
u made me lol

$ carlos $

Dresgar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Bad Idea View Post
A few things that would NOT have worked if her original design was used for the final model:

1. Irelia's Hair

2. [B]Irelia's Sleeves
1. what are you talking about dude? there are several ways you can do that.
-her hair could easily be made with a single polygon and the appropiate texture with alpha and then animated as if a particle.
-You can make each ?strand? of hair (sorry I do not know the word) with a separate polygon and then animate the polygon as normal geometry
-The problem with the above solutions is the possibility of losing detail because technically it would lack volume or depth, so the best solution would be to model it like a regular low polygon mesh and animate it using the method you prefer, in my case I would simply do a new IK chain.

2. That part of the design is unpractical, but can be done same as above, to avoid clipping you using a IK chain with pole vector.

3. I do agree with you on the swords tho.

Lance Eliot

11-11-2010

Finally someone with a brain.

A Bad Idea

11-11-2010

re: Remodeling for 'Laziness'

For those of you who missed the whole point, let me reiterate again; modeling out Irelia's concept design in small scale would result in a cluttered model that would be difficult to animate. Sona can get away with it because her model doesn't demand a lot of movements; she floats, and she only uses her arms in slight gestures for her animations. Assuming that Irelia will be doing melee combat, her animations would demand a wide range of movement. Having boat sails for sleeves makes it impossible to depict swift movements and martial arts moves. I am doing combat animation for a friend's project right now, and I can say that if my character model were to be viewed from a top down bird's eye view and she had boat-sail sleeves, that it would be nearly impossible to make her look good doing martial arts moves. I'm not saying it's impossible or difficult, I'm just saying that it wouldn't look correct, and that her motion would be hard to communicate because of all the flowing fabric obscuring it. It's a production decision that enables Riot's animators to portray the character through motion.

re: "Darker, Brooding Blue/Silver Irelia" vs "Youthful Red/White Irelia"

I don't know anything about Irelia's writing or personality, but the Riot art team would have come to a consensus about how best to portray their character. When I think 'Captain of the Guard', I personally think it works better to have 'Bright, Courageous and Charismatic' than 'Dark, Brooding and Mysterious'. I can't speak out for why people seem to be offended by the color. Ionian Master Yi seems to have a good reception and he uses the same color scheme. I think it has good synergy with the colors they've chosen to depict Ionian backdrops, which often have warmer colors that range from peach, to pink, to crimson. Having her be Tron Blue would sort of clash, in my opinion.

A Bad Idea

11-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresgar View Post
1. what are you talking about dude? there are several ways you can do that.
-her hair could easily be made with a single polygon and the appropiate texture with alpha and then animated as if a particle.
-You can make each ?strand? of hair (sorry I do not know the word) with a separate polygon and then animate the polygon as normal geometry
-The problem with the above solutions is the possibility of losing detail because technically it would lack volume or depth, so the best solution would be to model it like a regular low polygon mesh and animate it using the method you prefer, in my case I would simply do a new IK chain.

2. That part of the design is unpractical, but can be done same as above, to avoid clipping you using a IK chain with pole vector.
Ah rigging language, good to see someone who knows what he's talking about. Rigging hurts my brain though, so I can't do it =(

But that's not the point. The hair and the sleeves could be rigged, but their design obscures her silhoutte. It would be difficult to tell where her face is, what her arms are doing, and what motion she's performing. Even if I had that model rigged and I DID animate combat motions onto it, it would just look like a pair of flags waving around.

Adelle

11-11-2010

And I've linked a great blog about why the silhouette is important for anyone who cares to read.

1234567 ... 13