Ranked Matchmaking

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stillhart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2010

Hey so I know you can start playing ranked at L20 if you're in a 5v5 Premade. Does it still use your summoner level when matchmaking or does it only use ELO? I wouldn't mind jumping into some 5 on 5 but if I'm gonna be at a distinct disadvantage because the other team will be all L30's, I'm not going to bother.

Sammm

11-11-2010

I'm pretty sure its only elo, which is why you're only allowed into 5v5s, so you can only put your team at a disadvantage if they're willing to let you. You will be at a disadvantage without those 10 extra runes and masteries.

Every team you face will likely be all 30s.

Stillhart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2010

Yeah that's kinda what I figured but I wanted to confirm. Anyone know 100%?

Sammm

11-11-2010

Well what i mean is even if my thoughts on elo arent correct (which like i said, im PRETTY sure).. most people dont want level 20s anyway, and most level 20s are thinking like you. So you'll likely end up against 30s regardless of whether or not matchmaking takes level into consideration, because of a lack of level 20s playing.

Waiting for somebody in the know for the first part, too.

dyl

11-11-2010

I'm fairly certain that the ability for people below level 30 to join ranked games, premade or not, was removed in a recent patch.

Stillhart

11-11-2010

Last I checked, the button was still lit up for me when it was greyed out before 20.

Regarding my personal situation, I have RL friends who are 30's and they'd play with me if I asked. Finding a group isn't the question or the concern. I just want to know if it works similar to Normal mode where it takes both your level and your ELO into account.

Where's Kismet when we need a red response? lol

colloquial

Emissary of the League

11-11-2010

It will not take your level into account. You will start off at 1200 Elo, just like everyone else, and move up and down from there. You will be at a disadvantage and face a majority of level 30 players.

But if you want to play them, play them. I do not think the disadvantage is all that much, and if your friends are ok with it why not play. You could always give it a try and see if you like it.

xpsychedelico

11-11-2010

What colloquial said. Everyone starts off at 1200 Elo in ranked, and you either go up or down. It's a bad Elo range to be in, for the sole fact that your enemies in a premade could be full level 30s with 200 more games' experience than your team.

It's worth giving it a try, if you don't enjoy it, you can hold it off and try again when you feel more ready.

Stillhart

11-11-2010

Thanks guys, appreciate the info.