Why do people get Malady?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jonny Monroe

12-08-2009

my lane partner normally gets starks. No point having 2. Besides, as Warwick my ult fully stacks malady in 2 seconds.

Bloodba7h

12-08-2009

There are some situations where Malady is more useful than Stark's. I like Stark's much more (in many cases you can't get stacks so why bother?) just to be clear, though.

1. Early game - You can't buy the intermediate attack speed for Stark's as quickly as you can buy the intermediate attack speed for Malady. Attack speed is way better in early game than lifesteal. WAY. BETTER. This matters.
I like to try to save to 1050 for the Recurve but sometimes it's not in the cards and I'm forced back to heal/buy. I have about 800.. so I'll probably buy boots and a dagger instead of recurve if I'm shooting for a build like this.

2. Some champions benefit - Twitch is not invisible with Stark's. Warwick gets stacks pretty quickly. Same with Shaco. Probably other situations here too.

3. Teammate already getting Stark's - Usually you coordinate this at the beginning of the game but it can be helpful if your 2+ DPS champs want more damage and both want lifesteal that one of you get Malady.

..in about 85% of cases, though, you're right.. you shouldn't be getting Malady over Stark's.

Holypope

12-08-2009

in a team fight, even a 2-man, malady is the most damage for the buck. it's hitting for 30 damage not just on your attacks, but other people's as well. To me, that's the big difference. On;y one person on the team needs it, but especially in the mid game, it can make a huge difference.

AeonMax

12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Senate View Post
I can't figure it out. What's so great about Malady?
The price difference, compared to Starks, and attack speed means I can farm better and kill champs that much sooner in the lane stage of the match, as Yi anyway. Starks is a great team item, but can usually be put off until later in the match. Just my opinion, and I'm not a high Elo player.

Morzas

12-08-2009

Malady's only good on Twitch, because he can apply the debuff to the entire enemy team.

wildfire393

12-08-2009

Quote:
I can't figure it out. What's so great about Malady? I keep seeing it on everybody. ****, I just read a Kassadin guide where the OP suggested that it's good on Kass.

I've seen in on the majority of Twitches (Why take over Tiamat?)

I've seen it on a bunch of Trynds (Don't get me started)

I've seen it on Gangplank, I've seen in on every physical carry, from Ashe to Yi to Jax.

Seriously, Malady sucks compared to crit damage. Why do people rush it?
It's easy and effective to build early on Twitch and a couple of other heroes. The starting Scepter keeps you in lane, the daggers help you as you build it (while Stark's Emblem is iffy on a physical attacker) and are a lot cheaper than the Recurve Stark's takes.
In addition, the 5 bonus damage is TRUE damage, meaning it is not affected by Armor/MR, and instead goes straight to HP. On someone who can easily max attack speed (Twitch, Tristiana) or multiply their attacks (Shaco, Warwick, Yi), this is very effective.
Finally, for Twitch, it does not have an Aura, meaning it cannot alert someone to your stealthed presence.

AIM7Sparrow

12-08-2009

I'm liking the reason of starks giving away twitch's presence to go with a malady instead. someone else said his ult can apply the debuff to the whole time too, that also makes sense. but yeah the guy who suggested it on kassadin doesn't know what he's talking about. lol

Aselus

12-08-2009

Quote:
I can't figure it out. What's so great about Malady? I keep seeing it on everybody. ****, I just read a Kassadin guide where the OP suggested that it's good on Kass.

I've seen in on the majority of Twitches (Why take over Tiamat?)

I've seen it on a bunch of Trynds (Don't get me started)

I've seen it on Gangplank, I've seen in on every physical carry, from Ashe to Yi to Jax.

Seriously, Malady sucks compared to crit damage. Why do people rush it?
i'm a Yi player, so i'm going to be explaining why i either first or second Malady 100% of the time(there are VERY few cases where i will not do this that depend on specific enemy party makeups)

1) The build items for Malady are much better then starks, incrementally getting 30% attack speed at 840 gold(with the possibility of lv.1 boots and 15% attack speed) vs 40% attack speed at 1050 is, in early game, a good lead that might yield kills.

2) the 'measly' 700 cost difference gets you that much closer to your second all important survival item (phage) or if it's not needed, to your second attack speed item, in midgame/early game this is a LOT of money, no matter how you look at it, except if you're getting fed, at which point items don't really matter do they?

3) Yi need to have somewhere around ~1.7ish attack speed to be at 2.5 attacks speed while in Highlander, a little more is nice, since it lets him be more effective when out of highlander. This pretty much equates to two item slots for attack speed and 50% is better then 45%, with the advent of sword of the divine these two slots are locked in and the boots slot can be devoted to travel boots (either mobility for backdooring, or swiftness for easier chasehitting). w/ recurse and malady you're at 1.8 (sword of the divine is more late game) and can go for black cleaver right away, or your other damage item of choice.

4) 17% lifesteal is enough to replenish yourself on creeps.

5) what a carry needs on top of hitting aspd limit is damage, especially yi, with the double hit pasive, really i've tried tens of builds for yi (including the previously ever so popular crit build during beta) and what iv'e found is that w/ attack speed a high core damage wins out, especialy early game and late game (mid game not so much, but it's not that long to hit 18 from there). Where trynd has crit damage (and needs crit chance) yi has double attack, so things that increase base damage are win. Starks, does not increase base damage.

6) "What about negating armor, esp late game on the uber-tanks, i.e. singed" - well that's where sword of the divine and black cleaver come in, both adding damage, if the entire other team is tanked to hell you could also get wits end in lieu of sword of the divine, but that 30 bonus armorless damage for everyone in the party will win as far as the malady slot, way more then 3% extra lifesteal, even if it is to everyone.

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2009

giving away your presence isn't a big deal. you don't give it away until you're well into firing range anyway.

Pigsticker

12-08-2009

Due to her passive, at level 18 Tristana actually outranges Starks armor debuff.