[Guide] My BFF Soraka

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GingerGiant

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2009

I've had a lot of success with Soraka lately, and I noticed there are not very many guides for her in the forums. This will hopefully fill the gap.

I'll be covering my own personal build, as well as guidelines for other builds. I'll also tell you how NOT to build her.

[In Progress]

Index
1. Spells
2. Summoner Spells
3. Items

- - -

Spells

Passive - Concecration

Champions near Soraka get +16 Magic Resistance. Sweet.

This is a very solid passive. Your lane mate doesn't have to think so much about MR gear, and your team gets a little extra defense against magical AoE once the team fights roll around.

Q - Starcall

Soraka blasts people around her with purple meteors, dealing damage and lowering magic resistance. Awesomesauce. (20-35% AP)

This is good for farming. It's also your primary trigger for Innervating Locket, which, ironically enough, has the same cooldown as the Locket. You can also be a pain in the butt and get Rylai's Scepter. Rylai's Scepter makes Starcall useful, especially when you're helping your friends chase someone down. Otherwise, Starcall gets a little under-powered late-game.

W - Astral Blessing

Soraka heals someone for some amount, and gives them a +35 armor buff for the next 8 seconds. (100% AP)

Healing aside, 35 bonus armor can really help your teammates in the early-game if you are fighting against physicial damage champions. It's cooldown is a little long, though. Definately worth getting to level 5.
To keep this spell useful, you HAVE TO GET AP. 9 seconds is a long time to wait between casts, so every cast needs to be worth it, especially when your friends get really high life totals.
E - Infuse

Soraka restores MP to an ally, or deals damage and silences an enemy. (75-85% AP)

You WILL max this spell! It's absolutely invaluable! It's good for harassing, and Silence can stop spells once they've started (like Fiddlesticks' Crowstorm, or Katarina's Death Lotus). It's also INSTANT, and great for finishing off a tower-hugger with low life.
The damage is increased by AP, but the mana is not.

R - Wish

Soraka heals all her BFFs at once. (200% AP)

This is great for saving your friends, especially if the other team has a Karthus in their ranks. It also has a relatively short cooldown. But, it's safe to wait until maybe 10 or 11 to start putting ranks into this, because you probably won't need it until team fights start... Unless your teammates are feeding.

Spell Build:

1. W - Astral Blessing
2. E - Infuse
3. W - Astral Blessing / E - Infuse
4. W - Astral Blessing / E - Infuse
5. W - Astral Blessing / E - Infuse
6. W - Astral Blessing / E - Infuse
7. W - Astral Blessing / E - Infuse
8. W - Astral Blessing / E - Infuse
9. W - Astral Blessing / E - Infuse
10. W - Astral Blessing / E - Infuse
11. Wish
12. Wish
13-15. Starcall
16. Wish
17-18. Starcall

The damage/healing/mana on Soraka's spells don't scale well each level compared to other spells, so a single point spent astray will just give you an underpowered spell.

You won't need Starcall until you have an Innervating Locket, and you won't need a Locket until you have a solid AP base. Innervating Locket is great for Soraka, but it doesn't heal enough to save lives. Your lane partner can use the gold from minions a lot more than you can, anyways.

As I mentioned before, I hold off on wish unless the other team has Karthus. If your teammates are noobs, then Wish is not strong enough to save them. It's best used in team fights, when EVERYONE is dieing, and saving EVERYONE means the life you heal will give your team the time to kill the other team.

- -

Summoner Spells

Clairvoyance:
This is useful. You can spot ganks well in advance, check on the Jungle Monsters, find out who's sharing your lane, or reveal champions hiding in the bushes. It has a short cooldown to boot. You can use it constantly, and is constantly useful. After fortify, Clairvoyance gets the biggest improvement from masteries.

Fortify: Someone on your team needs this spell. It can be used to kill greedy champions who chase you into your tower, and to save other towers. Every good team has two champions with Fortify.

I would also consider getting Teleport. Boots of Mobility are a good alternative.

- -

Items

I've numbered the items with the order you want to get them.

Early-game

1. Mana Manipulator
2. Blasting Wand
3. Boots (-> get *Boots of Mobility if gold is readily available)

Mid-game

Mana Manipulator
Blasting Wand
Boots -> *Boots of Mobility
1., 2. Blasting Wand -> Zhonya's Ring

End-game

*Boots of Mobility
Zhonya's Ring
1. Mana Manipulator -> Innervating Locket
2. Archangel Staff
3. Guardian Angel
4. Rylai's Scepter (if time provides)

Explanation

Mana Manipulator keeps your mana up, and your friends' mana up. Get it.
The early Blasting Wand boosts your healing power at a good price, and will hold you over while you buy boots of Mobility.

The boots will get you places in lieu of Teleport, and help you escape. Soraka has one of the highest starting run speeds.

Zhonya's Ring is the strongest AP item in the game. Getting it early means you get more out of your other items.

Innervating Locket boosts your survivability. By now, you'll have maxed Astral Blessing and Infuse, and have at least one level in Starcall. Starcall happens to have the same cooldown as the Locket. Together, these are great for pushing a lane. As an added bonus, you can take 20 mana off Starcall's cost.

Archangel Staff is just pure goodness. You cast your spells a lot more frequently than most heros (particularly with Starcall), so you'll get a lot out of it.
Guardian Angel... You are Soraka. You do not need to die, but it may happen.

Rylai's Scepter is great combined with Starcall. The health is wonderful, too.

- -

To be continued...

Rudeboymike

12-08-2009

One thing worth mentioning aobut Starcall, It is what allows you to get your assists on team kills, since you are the support character without any real damage.

RompeCabecito

12-08-2009

Starcall is also great for harassment and lane control. I guess it falls in a different play style, but without taking at the very least a level or two in Starcall you are seriously gimping her ability to keep opposing laners honest.

Rudeboymike

12-08-2009

I don't know if its really that useful for harassing. Her auto attack has ridiculous range and is just as good at level 1-5. Good players aren't scared of starcall and will just stun/kill you. Use your mana for healing

Granted, if you are sitting on full mana.. shoot away. Full mana and not using it is as worthless as no mana at all.

wildfire393

12-08-2009

Couple problems with this guide.

1. No starcall at level 1. As you say yourself, it loses most of its usefulness lategame. You REALLY want one rank of this at level one to last-hit creeps, harass (when 60 damage and -8 MR is a lot)
2. AP Ratios. AP ratio of Starcall is .25, AP ratio of Infuse's Damage is .6
3. Astral Blessing. The time of the cooldown is a base of 10, and the time of the armor buff is 12.
4. You generally do not want to wait until 10-11 to get wish on a Support build. At the very least, it gives you a second heal to spam in a tight spot.
5. Item selection. Zhonya's is never a first-choice AP item on any build, particularly a support one. It "makes your other items more worthwhile", but it's so expensive and inefficient that you nerf yourself until you get these other items. You need to start off with a Rod of Ages, then probably Archangel. You can easily get 700+ mana from the staff and another 725 from Rod, which gives you over 50 AP just from the mana to AP passive from these two items and your starting Mana. Rod gives you another 80, and Archangel's gives you another 45, giving you a total AP of close to 200 from just two items, in addition to the added survivability of the Rod (very important). Zhonya's becomes potentially worthwhile at this point, as it now gives you 100 AP base + 10 from mana, taking you to 300, then the 25% takes that to 375, which makes your heals very effective. Frozen Heart also becomes a very effective item at this point, cutting down your cooldowns significantly, providing 500 extra mana for more AP, and giving a lot of survivability from the Armor.
Innervating locket I have found to be underwhelming on Soraka, especially on an AP build, where you'd rather have AP to make her spells more effective. You can turn Manip into Soul Shroud for full 40% reduction with the Frozen heart and more HP for survivability.
Rylai's I have found to be underwhelming as well on Soraka. You're better off making another Rod early for more HP, much more MP, and the same AP. Starcall barely slows at all, and unless you have max -CD you'll never be able to keep up the slows. Infuse has a good amount of slow, but only for 1.5 seconds, and its cooldown is large enough that this isn't relilable. Save Rylai's for people who have a spammable single-target nuke.

Benoit

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2009

Fail @ Spell Build

MulletPower

12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboymike View Post
I don't know if its really that useful for harassing. Her auto attack has ridiculous range and is just as good at level 1-5. Good players aren't scared of starcall and will just stun/kill you. Use your mana for healing

Granted, if you are sitting on full mana.. shoot away. Full mana and not using it is as worthless as no mana at all.
While I'm not the best player I find an early Starcall irreplaceable in any Soraka build. It allows me to completely dominate against any melee hero during the laning phase and I often break even against some of the best ranged harassers.

In fact the main reason it's so good is because (like you mentioned) they aren't scared of it. Which lets me slowly whittle away their health while getting last hits and not gaining any creep aggro. Then if they get too cocky I can finish off their low health with a quick infuse or even better my lanemate can get an early kill.

Like I said I'm not the best or most experienced player but with a single point in Starcall I can deny exp/gold with the slow but safe harass that Starcall provides. To top it off putting a point in Astral Blessing at level one can be avoided by playing defensive and/or getting a couple health pots. Just make sure your lanemate knows they wont have your heal to back them up early on.

My only other input on the guide itself (that wildfire hasn't mentioned) is that I find Mercury's Treads irreplaceable. But then again I play with a more defensive Soraka build, it's just the 1 movment doesn't seem worth dropping the MR/CC reduction in any Soraka build. Remember you can't support when you're cc'd/dead.

wildfire393

12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletPower View Post
My only other input on the guide itself (that wildfire hasn't mentioned) is that I find Mercury's Treads irreplaceable. But then again I play with a more defensive Soraka build, it's just the 1 movment doesn't seem worth dropping the MR/CC reduction in any Soraka build. Remember you can't support when you're cc'd/dead.
Merc Treads are a necessity on Aura-Stacker Soraka. The kind of Soraka that uses some combination of three or more of Aegis of the Legion, Frozen Heart, Soul Shroud, Innervating Locket, etc. That Soraka needs to be in the fray at all times, and Merc Treads lets you walk right out of ganks.

AP Soraka needs faster boots. Either Swiftness or Mobility, you have to be able to stay near your allies to heal/infuse but away from your enemies to not die. With the AP build, if you get hit with any CC, it doesn't matter if you can negate the last 40% of it, odds are they'll be able to kill you in the first 60% because all you've got for survivability is maybe a Rod of Ages and maybe a Rylai's.

The other thing to note is that Soraka does not have one of the fastest move speeds in the game. She has 310. This is faster than the "base" of 300 (held by Ashe, Ryze, and many others), but there are people with 315, 320, and even 330 (Jax, for example).

Laina

12-09-2009

I find that sticking to a particular build with Soraka isn't the best.

I adapt myself according to who I'm laning with and the needs of my team.

I usually have my mana feeding build and my health feeding build.

If I'm going to have to constantly heal, I'm going to focus on AP and CC items.

If I'm going to need to feed mana, I get a mana manipulator and start with Infuse.

AsherZaine

01-20-2010

I approve of your skill build but why is there no cd reduction 40 percent CD is god like on soraka I usally get Frozen heart 500 mana armor and 25 percent cd and slows enemey champs attack speed by 25 percent this pretty makes you able to tank physical late game
I do get the locket most of the time but sometimes i buy banshee veil for **** and giggles usally i dont get past my boots and those two items i buy a starks if no one has one it helps quite a bit