[Guide] Janna - Multi playstyles

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SomeoneRandom

12-14-2009

I am at school, so maybe ill post some more when I am back at home, but it just annoys me seeing these threads made by people who have no idea what they are doing... so i just lashed out randomly :P

And as was said earlier she is best as a physical carry / support hero, but its not super consistent as to how well you will do, team winning is fine, but you either get 0-3 kills or 15-20 lol rarely in between

As for taunt and cleanse you obviously have no idea how cleanse works... it keeps debuffs off for 2 seconds... you cant cleanse out of taunt but if you PREEMPT IT the debuff will never show up and you wont be taunted, I do it all the time

Oriyen

12-14-2009

This pic was taken a day before I wrote this guide. I was planning on adding pictures in but the forums don't support the format so I never put them in, but here is a link.
http://img98.imageshack.us/i/4outof5.png/

Note this is also my 2nd account that I mainly use to practice in I figured I'd write a guide for Janna because she is very underplayed. Ill take the bashing and just turn it around to more info as I want this guide to be a go to guide rather then my opinion. I just started it, the community is gonna finish it. So I'll get this guide updated with the changed suggested mainly in the offensive play style Ill also update the community suggestions for items.

*Edit* the game above the 4 out of 5 in the picture was a fiddlestick practice game I lost. Point was for Janna so no need to show it. I'm currently have been playing fid. trying to master him up. Also note just because I won 4 out of 5 does not mean I'm the only reason for the team to win while Janna does help it still is a team game. Sometimes you win for the fact the other team lost teammates to a rage quit or dc others games you could lose for the same reason. I only posted the pic to make you satisfied that I'm not a complete ****** with Janna. But its a team game my other 4 team members played well and I supported them.

SomeoneRandom

12-14-2009

I can honestly say I am surprised by those results, but that aside, I guess I will post a quick summary on the build that I use and why...

---------------------------------------------------------

I guess I will start off with the pre-game... This as well as many things I will say matters on your team... Usually I play with 2-4 friends, if they are heroes that do not require neutral buffs (Not Tryandamere / Fiddle / Yi / Amumu / Kassadin) I will go this build:

0/21/9
Defense:
Hardness : 3/3
Resistance : 3/3
Evasion : 4/4
Strength of Spirit : 1/3
Nimbleness : 1/1
Willpower : 1/1 (will save you so often...)
Veteran Scars : 4/4
Ardor : 3/3
Tenacity : 1/1

Utility:
Perseverance : 3/3
Good Hands : 1/3
Expanded Mind : 4/4
Utility Mastery : 1/2

The summoner skills for this build are Ignite / Cleanse

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the other options if my team doesn't have our usual TF or we have a high amount of support I will go this spec:

9 / 0 / 21
Offensive:
Deadliness : 3/3
Archmage's Savvy : 1/3
Sorcery : 4/4
Archaic Knowledge : 1/1

Utility:
Perseverance : 3/3
Good Hands : 1/3
Expanded Mind : 4/4
Utility Mastery : 2/2
Meditation : 3/3
Quickness : 3/3
Intelligence : 3/3
Mystical Vision : 1/1
Presence of the Master : 1/1

The summoner skills for this build are : Clairvoyance and Cleanse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The final option is if one of my friends is playing a hero that benefits from the neutral buffs more than me... usually someone will go Tryandamere who absolutely needs the lizard to ramp up early or one of the casters who needs the -CD more than me

9/21/0
Offensive:
Deadliness : 3/3
Archmage's Savvy : 1/3
Sorcery : 4/4
Archaic Knowledge : 1/1

Defense:
Hardness : 3/3
Resistance : 3/3
Evasion : 4/4
Strength of Spirit : 1/3
Nimbleness : 1/1
Willpower : 1/1 (will save you so often...)
Veteran Scars : 4/4
Ardor : 3/3
Tenacity : 1/1

The summoner skills for this build are Ignite and Cleanse

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, for the summoner skill reasoning...

Ignite - This will get you so many kills in the course of a game it is amazing... Usually when you lane with zephyr you will run up to a hero and shoot Zephyr then get 2-3 auto bots before they get out of range, once you do this 2-3 times they should be low enough to pop in do your combo and end with an ignite, usually I can grab 2-4 kills before I go back to town the first time

Cleanse - I can't even begin to talk about how overpowered this skill is... if you aren't using it for every hero ever you really should be, it got buffed BEYOND BELIEF... it will be nerfed again soon so use it while you can!!! They never made the cooldown longer, so at maximum it will be a 70 second cooldown for you, or if your utility down to a 85 second cooldown (More often than every offensive summoner skill)

Clairvoyance - In a premade VS premade game map awareness wins you games... with the improved talent in utility plus the top end of the tree you end up having this spell up every 42.5 Seconds and it lasts 10 Seconds, that is 23.5% of the time that a portion of the map is revealed!!! I usually have a Twisted Fate on my team with Clairvoyance and the utility build so it usually is not needed, but if you don't have one on your team PICK IT UP!!!

-----------------------------------------------

Runes: You will see many people talking about lots of weird random runes... the only real important runes for Janna are health, she is very frail but with Cleanse, Veteran's Scars and health quints and Seals you should have quite a large health pool, especially early on (which is when you are getting kills!!!)

Seals : 4 flat Health + 5 Health / level
Marks : 9 Crit Chance (helps free up items later) or 9 Health / level
Glyphs : Many options here, something defensive is fine Health, Armor or Magic Resist, or you can go with Mana Regen (DO NOT GO MANA REGEN PER LEVEL... by the time it is good enough you NO LONGER NEED MANA REGEN) I personally have 9 Magic Resist runes here
Quints : 3 flat Health

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the skill build, this changes from time to time based on how the game is progressing, generally by lvl 6 you should know the pace at which your getting kills, if the game is mostly going to be ganks, or if its mostly team fights.

If you are constantly in team battles you will want to stop leveling up Eye of the Storm and get a point in your ult at lvl 6 for the knockback and heal, as well as a point in Howling Gale a bit earlier.

If the game has degenerated into a gank war before you hit lvl 8, get a point in howling gale earlier to help escape

All that aside, if the game is going how you want it to be (early on able to lane, getting multiple kills early with your amazing zephyr + auto bot power!!) This is the general build:

Zephyr
Eye
Zephyr
Eye
Zephyr
Eye
Zephyr
Monsoon
Zephyr
Howling Gale
Monsoon
Eye
Eye
Howling Gale/Monsoon until end

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Item build: This is another thing that changes often, but has a general "frame" so to speak... you want a few key items and the rest are interchangeable

Sword of the Divine : This item is REQUIRED for every build... the damage output from this item is insane not to mention it DOES DAMAGE TO TOWERS!!!! With this you will be a pushing god (I feel that I kill towers faster on Janna than I do on Sivir)

Stark's Favor : This item is required for late game, you are a dps build, but you still want to support your team, if nobody else is getting it grab it 3rd or 4th depending on how much gold you are gaining

Some sort of damage item : You only need 1 damage item, with Eye of the Storm your +dmg is high enough already, you will usually end up around 150-200 by lvl 18, so with 1 damage item you have enough
This ranges and I have been trying different possibilities, the more recent experiments are Tiamat, and Rageblade but the tride and true items that definitely work so far are Infinity Edge, Frozen Mallet, Bloodrazors

Mercury Treads or Berzerker Greaves:
This is another that varies based on the team, if you see they have so many snares and stuns that you wont be able to shield and cleanse through then you will want mercury, otherwise go Berzerker for the added attack speed. Since you have zephyr and tail wind you really don't need mobility or swiftness

Phantom Dancer: This has everything we love... dodge which keeps us alive, more attack speed, and just enough critical to be paired with infinity edge and runes that we dont need anymore

Final item can be a number of things based on how the game has gone... my favorites are either Banshee's Veil, Gaurdian Angel, Wit's End, Malady, or a 2nd Phantom Dancer

The build I go most often is as follows:
Meki Pendant + 2 Health Pots
Recurve Bow
Boots
Sword of the Divine
Mercury / Zerker
Recurve Bow
Malady or Starks depending on team
Frozen Mallet
Phantom Dancer
Sell Meki Pendant for any of the final items

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Playstyle

My teammates rarely want to go mid, so usually when I am playing Janna I get to solo mid. I will start by talking about this

As most people know about soloing you MUST establish dominance early on, usually I will go straight to their tower and /dance, this will usually provoke them to come forward and which point zap em with a zephyr and start the auto-bot battles!

Because of your massive starting health you can solo almost all carries that tend to go mid at lvl 1, just cleanse off exhaust if they throw it on you and when they start to run throw the ignite for the kill at least one out of every 3 games I get a lvl 1 kill

However if they do not come to attack you early on, wait for creeps and then proceed to exactly what is said above... zap with a zephyr and auto-bot 1-3 times and then back out

Once you get Eye of the Storm start casting that before you go in for the zephyr, this makes sure you don't lose life to the creeps that swap on you as well as adding damage to your auto bot

Mid-level : By now you should have at least a sword of the divine... look for a lane that is close to a tower... cast Eye of the storm on yourself, RAPE THE TOWER! If you happen to have boots already as well as lvl 4+ Zephyr, feel free to run around and gank, you are the fastest hero in the game, anytime someone is past the river they should die with an allies help

High-level : Usually this will degenerate into team battles constantly... your job in a team battle is 2 things, snare with Howling gales constantly while also slowing the dps target with zephyr, the key thing to remember about doing this is you also want to try to stay subtle, you want to be the last person anyone thinks about attacking. Achieving this is more simple than you think, if you are the last to enter, often times people will not swap to you. If you hide behind a big scary Cho'Gath, you will most likely not be the first attacked, etc

------

If you happen to go a side lane with someone the ganking should intensify. With two people it is VERY Easy to get kills early, you can both provide nukes to the table as well as an extra summoner skill

-----

Tips: Remember to preempt harmful skills with cleanse, things like rammus taunt, ashe arrow, jax stun, knockups from alistar / chogoth / blitzcrank all can be preempted to do NOTHING

Also remember that you can cast howling gale again by hitting Q, you dont need to wait for it to fully charge, or if you play Janna a lot you can get very good at leading from the bushes... just cast in the grass and then start to gank and usually if you time it right you can get a full howling gale in someones face when they think they are safe

Another thing that I am sure most people know, but incase you don't... you can Eye of the Storm towers to prevent them from dying...

Hopefully that helped a bit with trying the melee build for Janna...

Xyirx

12-14-2009

Just a little question, SomeoneRandom. If you're melee Janna, why wouldn't you want to level up Eye of the Storm to max along with Zephyr before getting lvl 2 Monsoon? It allows you to have more "shield" and increase your damage too. Plus, Monsoon is like a big factor to your mana pool here. I do think that lvl 1 should suffice for getting away from fights. You should save some mana for casting Zephyr & Eye for your kills.

SomeoneRandom

12-14-2009

The most basic answer is that I dont use my ult for knocking back heroes all that often... its more used to team fights and pushing

Around lvl 11, the game has usually turned into 5 man pushes and it really helps to go in with your team during a wave of creeps, back out, full heal the whole team and go back in again, so for that I want more healing from it

Also usually around this time your base mana pool should be in the 1200ish range, so monsooning once in a while isnt a huge deal, but I can certainly see wanting to max Eye first, and probably have done so before, but I just like the utility of more in monsoon over the 12 damage and 50 more absorbed

Xyirx

12-17-2009

I think there're some changes going on @ the latest patch. It makes Janna somewhat stronger.

Xyirx

01-22-2010

Sorry for double post.
I would like to add a support build that I find very useful here.

For runes, use armor and magic resist, except quint which I recommend using fixed health.

For item build, focus on survivability first because
Live = More chance to help your friends escape & kill + defend your tower and gain xp, gold

1st Build:
Doran's Ring
Boots > Mercury Treads/Ninja Tabi
Warmog's Armor
Guardian Angel
Banshee's Veil
Force of Nature
<SELL> Doran's Ring, <BUY> Frozen Heart

Finished Build
Mercury Treads/Ninja Tabi
Warmog's Armor
Guardian Angel
Banshee's Veil
Force of Nature
Frozen Heart

-----------

2nd Build:
2 Faerie Charms
Boots > Mercury Treads/Ninja Tabi
2 Faerie Charms > Mana Manipulator
Soul Shroud
Guardian Angel
Warmog's Armor
Force of Nature
Banshee's Veil/Frozen Heart

Finished Build
Mercury Treads/Ninja Tabi
Soul Shroud
Guardian Angel
Warmog's Armor
Force of Nature
Banshee's Veil/Frozen Heart

-----------

Both build are similar, except that the second one is better when you're laning with a mage. You give them more CDR and mana regeneration.

Chai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2010

Crit DPS Janna:

Item Build:
1. Berserkers
2. Zeal > Phantom Dancer
3. Avarice Blade / Second Zeal
4. Madred's/Last Whisperer
5. Infinity Edge.

Pulling off 100% crit at 450 damage per hit to champions is quite satisfying. I have a 2:1 win ratio with her with an approximate kill:death:assist ratio of 2.5:1:2.

Will provide screenshot if there are doubters.

Patronud

06-03-2010

Seems like some great builds. I will share mine too then ^^

AP Janna (and yes it does work)

I normaly go either Sapphire Crystal, 1 mana pot 1 healing pot or Amplifying Tome, 1 mana at start depends on if there is call for a gank and the other heros

1 a. If I go amplifying then I go Mejai's Soulstealer and get some kills on it (get it early game if it looks like you can get some assists if not then its a waste of gold)

1 b. If I go the Sapphire Crystal I normaly go Tear of the Goddess so then for either boots or blasting ward depending on the other team.

2 a. If i get good assists and kills I get more gold so I go for boots mostly socceres.
then Glacial Shroud if I need armor or Spirit Visage if i need magic resist.
sometimes I i go directly for more ap either in form of Tear of the Goddess and then Archangel's Staff or Zhonya's Ring.

you can also go Rod of Agies if you want more hp.

2 b. Archangel's Staff will be the first thing i go for after the boots.
then I go Glacial Shroud (gives mana and armor) if it seems it will be a long game i go after Rod of Agies or Zhonya's Ring. If not then I go Fiendish Codex and Frozen Heart.

This all depends on how well you play and who you are teamed with.
Janna can hit very hard with maxed howling gale and if you get Mejai's Soulstealer maxed with Zhonya's Ring, Fiendish Codex and Frozen Heart then you can solo most not so feeded heros.

now that there is twisted treeline also i like to go with my a build for it almost always, but guides will not tell you much its only for suggestions. find out what works for you and start analysing your opponent as well as your own team. If thier team play is better you stay supportive (with this build your shield and and monzon ability will also be very effective).
down side with this build is that your going to go back and heal mana sometimes but on the up side when Tear of the Goddess has been used enough you'll have tons of mana.

Hope anyone can use just a bit of this.

Cya in game
Patronud

Caldrik

11-22-2010

Ive occasionally tried going pure ap with Jana, and it works quite well if I get off to a good start. I start of by getting a sapphire crystal and 2 hp pots. Turn it into a tear asap, it will allow you to spam your abilities for a long period of time. After that, either get boots or start working on the z ring. After you get the z ring just build AA staffs. Eventually I sell my boots for the final AA staff. With the complete build, you will have 1200+ ap. Throw in the golem buff for CD, u will be able to rape any1 that gets near you with howling gale and zephyr. Your ult will be able to heal your entire team no matter how much health they have. And your shield will block even the strongest nukes.

The only problem is that it takes a lot of gold to get going and the build ramps, but if you get a few kills early on, you should be able to start killing an entire line of minions with howling gale, so farming should help with this.