Getting used to TF in Ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Exc3ssion

11-21-2010

So I basically consider myself a TF mainer as I basically play my strongest with him. And I've been 30 for a while but never gotten into ranked but thinking of starting solo queue or with a friend. I have a few friends who eventually will be doing 5v5 premade with but that's not happening atm.

(I know I probably won't always get TF, and be able to build him AP in a game this is basically if I can, i know how to play quite a few other character's in different roles.)

So my build starts out with a doran's ring.

Then I got onto, mejai's, sorc boots, lich bane, nashor's, Then. If the game is just faceroll I grab a ZR if not I go with a defensive item. Most games don't last that long anyways.

I do realize if I'm getting pwnt by something everytime, that I would adjust my build accordingly but that's my core.

Skill Build i start with pick a card, then piority of R > Q > E > W.

Masteries are the usual 9/0/21

Runes I'm using are
Red - mpen
Yellow - mp5/lvl
Blues - ap/lvl(not full yet need like 4 of em)
Quints - Flat AP

does that look any good?

Thanks in advance, I take all advice in consideration!

A Retarded Clown

11-21-2010

I would say...quints should be hp since those help tfs early game quite a bit.

Build wise, using lich bane with just mejais and nashors is kind of gimmicky since I find lich bane is only better than sheen when u have 250 AP or more. I would go nashors, NLR, BW, BW LICH, then zhonyas.

Defensively, last item should be abyssal, rylais, RoA or smth of the sort. I'm experimenting with ditching zhonyas for AA staff...since that gives decent flat non reduceable ap and also since already getting lich bane and RoA.....it wouldn't hurt.

Exc3ssion

11-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daethr View Post

Build wise, using lich bane with just mejais and nashors is kind of gimmicky since I find lich bane is only better than sheen when u have 250 AP or more. I would go nashors, NLR, BW, BW LICH, then zhonyas.

Defensively, last item should be abyssal, rylais, RoA or smth of the sort. I'm experimenting with ditching zhonyas for AA staff...since that gives decent flat non reduceable ap and also since already getting lich bane and RoA.....it wouldn't hurt.
Yeah I heard HP quints were the way to go to help survibility, bought my AP quints on a whim, working on getting hp after my glyphs.

Good point about lich bane, I used to actually grab sheen, nashor's, then lich but as I got better at managing stacks I started getting lich faster.

So basically you say grabbing the base AP items then building them later would be better? If I were to have say like, getting lucky and getting 16-20 stacks on my SS that would justify grabbing lich quicker though wouldn't it?

TheAutomaton

11-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daethr View Post

How is Lichbane only better with over 250 AP?
Lichbane is 1:1 bonus damage equal to your AP
Sheen is 1:1 bonus damage equal to your Base Attack, not including items.
At best Sheen will deal like 100 bonus damage

Exc3ssion

11-21-2010

109.11 bonus damage on attack

Edit: at 18

PwnSword

11-21-2010

yeah, lich is not worth building until you have at least 200 ap, reason being the cost... why spend so much more for less than 100 more damage every 3 seconds... money is better spent on another ap item first.

A Retarded Clown

11-21-2010

Yes but I find paying 2k extra gold for an extra 100 damage early on is not too great because, you can manage easily without and instead make it so...that when you merge youritems, your suddenly hitting hard.

Yeah if you have 16 -20 stacks then def go for it, but I always try not to depend entirely on mejais, cuz tf;s kills are mostly luck, if your team is doing very badly, those stacks aint gonna be easy, or if their doing very good and raping they wont come easy either since you dont come in to finish ppl off.

If you have 16-20 stacks before lich bane tbh, your build from then on doesn't really matter too much...your cruisin =D

but when you don't get too many stacks then there's an issue, which is why Im experimenting with aa staff.

tf snowballs well, so if you go straight for lots of basic ap items, your gold will suddenly come in alot faster than u can spend at will.
It's that early to mid phase where you really are sort of cash strapped and need all the money for your gold you can get.

Ofc...late game, even a fed Ap TF does not carry so darn well as other chars (shaco rofl...good lord what a carry he is)..but idt tf will ever be viable as a straight carry...he';s more complex than that.

Exc3ssion

11-21-2010

True, True. Thanks for all the advice item wise. Are going w/ ap/lvl glyphs and my skill build good?

A Retarded Clown

11-22-2010

how much ap do they give? Mana regen are best since u get nashors, if u want more ap and dont get nashors then I would get cdr glyphs.

Exc3ssion

11-22-2010

I have mp5/lvl seals atm. They give in total once I finish my page 18 AP at lvl 18.

And to add would mp5 really be all that neccesary? I mean once I get hp quints and no longer have my ap quints then i could understand early game. But with them my blue cards are giving their mana back right at lvl 1. So with my seals I can manage to chain wild cards/blue cards for harrass and can build it up slower if I need to gold card.