Buying teir 1 runes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cdizzl3

11-11-2010

Should I even bother with tier one runes?

Should I just save my ip for champs?

colloquial

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

11-11-2010

Tier One runes give you ~50% of the benefit of Tier Three runes for ~8% of the cost. Personally I recommend buying a tier one rune with every level. They are dirt cheap and give you a little over half the benefit of a full rune book. This still leaves plenty of IP for champion purchases.

Once you hit level 20 (or level 30) you can slowly start replacing the Tier One runes with Tier Three runes, using the combiner once you have enough spares.

Don't bother with Tier Two runes.

MaR10s

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2010

I never bothered with T1 runes. Their effect is minimal, if you consider that you don't have many slots available. IMO just save IP till lvl20 and buy T3 runes.

joshiez

11-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by colloquial View Post
Tier One runes give you ~50% of the benefit of Tier Three runes for ~8% of the cost. Personally I recommend buying a tier one rune with every level. They are dirt cheap and give you a little over half the benefit of a full rune book. This still leaves plenty of IP for champion purchases.

Once you hit level 20 (or level 30) you can slowly start replacing the Tier One runes with Tier Three runes, using the combiner once you have enough spares.

Don't bother with Tier Two runes.
This!

SomniumProxy

11-11-2010

colloquial is right. Furthermore, and tha main reason for me why T1 is good is that you get to test if you actually like the runeset you've chosen. A lot of new players aren't sure what runes to get, so they just pick something based on suggestions or a random choice. Often, later they feel they could have made a better choice. That's why testing a T1 runeset in levels 14-22 helps you figure out if you really like it or not, and if you don't, you don't really loose a lot of IP.

Stillhart

11-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaR10s View Post
I never bothered with T1 runes. Their effect is minimal, if you consider that you don't have many slots available. IMO just save IP till lvl20 and buy T3 runes.
The best way to take advantage of runes at low levels (<10) IMO is to just stack the same type. Get all flat health or all crit or all mana regen, etc. It's not efficient, but you'll notice 6 health runes more than 2 health, 2 dodge and 2 ArPen (for example). They're cheap enough that it's not a waste of IP.

EDIT - BTW I agree with the guy who said to buy tier 1 and then replace with tier 3.

SamuraiPizzaNeko

11-11-2010

just dont.

Stargazer314

Recruiter

11-11-2010

don't buy runes until teir 3, you'll just be wasting money because teir one doesn't give you much boost.

ForeverAngels

11-13-2010

seriously dude, tier 1 arent worth it, during your early stage you will always be changing your mind on who you want to play and stick to. i waited till level 20 to get teir 3, plus tier 1 runes dont really 'buff' your champion much anyway.

so if i were you, just focus on playing champs and then worry about runes when your level 20 and have chosen a champion you want to "main and master".

Hope this helps

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

11-13-2010

I would recommend buying more 'generic' runes, ones that are useful in several sets. (T1 of course, ignore T2, save for T3 and slowly replace.)

Runes I think would be useful for a lot of champions:
Quintessences: flat hp.
Marks: magic pen, armor pen.
Seals: scaling mp/5, dodge or scaling health.
Glyphs: flat cdr, flat/scaling AP.

I suggest flat health quints because they're the best general quint; they help every champion, especially early game to give you protection from harrass and ganks. Glyphs I'm not really sure about, I don't play a lot of physical champions, and flat/scaling depends on when you want the ap.