Death, the Reaper of theFallen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShininGeek

04-23-2013

I like this champ concept. the transform being his passive is quite interesting

SoullessMidget

04-24-2013

Could call him Grimm, or Azrael(Being the Angel of Death)

SSLRranma

04-26-2013

Ok. I'm going to try and look over the stuff individually, then as a whole to see how well they mesh together.

So first are the stats. His health is around the Varus/Ashe/Kat level so he shouldn't be too tanky. I can't review essence as there is no description for the resource system here, so thats going to make this much harder. His armor seems VERY low for a melee champion, Magic resist seems to be about the norm. Even i it is thematic, his move speed is WAY below the lowest champions. You mightwant to boost it to 300. Range seems to put him just outside the normal melee range? His base attack speed makes him around Blitz's, but with the gains per level he'll be around caitlyn's level without any item or runes/talents. His base damage is in the upper-end, but the gains per level are the lowest. Over-all it seems to be some kind of Melee caster if had to judge from stats alone.

-------------
passive: Ok, so it's some kind of mobile karthus passive? With the current move speed(280),this bumps his normal move to 340(Mal, Mord, nunu level). Essence is explained a bit here. So its a resource that renews itself when your pretty much not turtling. Looking at it i think Scythe form may be too broken. the phys damage reduction is WAY too high, and it seems to encourage "charge in, die, then revive with some HP". Its like you combined Karthus's passive with Tryn's ult and added in a move speed buff. This seems to be more like an Ult then a passive. One that needs a high cooldown.
------
Q1-the range puts almost all champions(Exceptions being Tristana at 18, Twitch and Kog using their range abilities) in range for this in a close quarter team fight if they use their Autoattacks. The numbers on the base damage seem about right, but for an AoE that size i think the AP ratio might be WAY too high. You get about 6 or 7 stacks a wave. The cooldown could stand to be higher for the damage it deals.

--------

Q2- The numbers on the base seem way too high again. The range and base damage make it better then shen's dash. Everything else seems fine though.

--------

W1- Passive is fine, but the active is WAY too powerful and does WAY too much. I would static the damage return to 20%, as not even thornmail returns that much.

--------

W2- passive has WAY too much range. and requires a new timer to be made in game. the range decreases over time but it seems to be WAY too much. 5000 distance is a lot. The active seems to honestly be pretty useless. So far you only got 1 damaging move, so unless the other two in scythe form are damage, the spellvamp may as well go to waste.

----------
E1- the revive power is way too strong, but the heal is fine. But i dont really see death as a healer. Kind of doesn't make sense theme wise.
----------
E2- The max damage seems WAY too high. I dont even think Karthus can do 300 with his defile. Speakingof which, is it an area on the round, or an area around the scythe?
-----------
R- Passive needs a cap and speed needs to return faster. The scythe power seems fine.
------------

Overall - I dont think i like the character. It seems like you wanted to make a support, but it has WAY too many revenge-kill things on it. It would be kind of unfair to be honest. Its a character people would pick for anti-pub stomping and just get picked by people who want to pub stomp. And a lot of the skills seem WAY too overpowered and need major tweaking. The passive is too strong as well i think. This needs a lot of work before i can give it a favorable score. 2/10.

High Lord Bunny

04-26-2013

I'm with SSLRanma on this one. On the whole the numbers for damage are pretty high and the abilities are quite... automatic. I like the idea of managing his stacks depending on the situation, but having them result in "Enemies within 400 units of you are Rooted while you have stacks of The Dead" causes problems for both parties. Managing these stacks becomes a moot point if they're just used up the instant that you get them rather than being able to hold onto them for a short period of time. Also, let's assume you Q into a minion wave as Scythe form to poke the enemy Kassadin. You come out of the spin, he's taken damage and he can't retaliate. However, the snare wears off and he decides to be trade back. You pop Death's knell and he's silenced for 5 seconds as long as he follows. After the 5 seconds you're probably back at tower and he can't do anything. Repeat entire process 25 seconds later (or less) for exact same results. That's not counting the passive from the ult or the fact that if you have any CDR and maxed Q first you can just spin to win for more snare if he even gets close to you.

My suggestion would be to have him have less CC in general. He's currently standing with a Fear, a snare, a silence and a passive slow that deteriorates slowly. I think having the stacks last longer so he can activate the CC while in need would be much more useful than having them be automatic.

And that's my two cents.

Drake O Dagger

04-26-2013

I'll respond to this wonderful detailed review in a bit when I have more time, but thanks a lot. Azrael is intended to be a Support/Assassin (despite how weird that combination is). He was made as an experiment for an immortal champion who was ultimately nerfed into the ground to this point. The original was immune to Physical Damage, and it was always my intention for Scythe form to be very anti-phys, with a lot of his threat coming from the ability to kill people the longer they've lasted. Is the damage a bit insane in some areas? Yes. But consider his LIKELY damage output. Death's Knell is a ground-targeted AoE, not a PBAoE, so it doesn't move, and can be avoided, thus reducing the actual damage taken significantly. And the odds of a person living for 10 min aren't that great, and if they are, they're probably stomping you to death, at which point this helps counter the snow-balling.

Rumplefugly

04-26-2013

Azrael's armor, magic resist and movement speed are way too low. If he was ranged I'd be willing to overlook this but as a melee champion he is rendered unplayable by these current stats. In my opinion his armor and armor growth need to be buffed to 15 base and 3.5 per level, his magic resist should have a 1.25 growth modifier, and his base movement speed should be around 325-330.

I'm going to be straight with you: Azrael's passive is written poorly and makes no sense. You say he uses Essence as health while he's in scythe form, but then he also regenerates health? Or is he regenerating Essence? And he spends Essence/Health to use his scythe abilities in both forms? "Essence" doesn't communicate what this resource is or how it's spent. How is it different from mana or energy? The resource mechanics alone need to be rewritten so it is clear to the reader how this champion's abilities are gated.

Mechanically, the Scythe form is ridiculously broken. The percentage of physical damage reduction Azrael gets for free would cost any other champion thousands of gold. According to you, he regains "30% of his Health 7 seconds after dying." I thought his Essence becomes his health? Why is he getting more health? Why does this passive have no cooldown?

So he gets an additional 30% health on top of the Essence that's converted to Health, and then recovers another 60% Health over six seconds, then can switch back to his base form? Compared to Anivia and Zac, this is completely ridiculous and broken as all hell. My advice would be to scrap this passive entirely and make switching between his base abilities and scythe abilities his R like Nidalee, Jayce and Elise. From there, you can come up with a passive that complements switching between those two playstyles that isn't so flagrantly unbalanced.

I'm not trying to be mean, but this passive is not good champion design and really bodes poorly for the rest of Azrael's kit.

This ability gives Azrael yet another resource to manage called "The Fallen." After 20 creeps or 2 champions die within 1000 units of Azrael, this ability deals its max damage to one enemy and fears them for 2 seconds. If you want Azrael to have a single-target nuke with a fear component, you'd be better off just giving him one instead of this ability that has gimmicky mechanics behind its design for no discernible reason. Why should Azrael have to wait for 20 creeps or 2 champs to die for him to use his nuke at maximum effectiveness? It makes no sense.

Also, why does this ability cost Health?

This ability is a line skillshot that deals lots of damage to the first enemy hit and reduced damage to subsequent enemies hit. If Azrael kills an enemy with this ability, he gains a stack of The Dead (oh boy! more resources to manage!), which roots nearby enemies for 0.5 seconds per stack, with a maximum root time of 3.0 seconds. Stacks decay every 0.5 seconds.

It sounds like these stacks are used up the moment you build them, which raises the question: Why would I ever want to build up stacks of "The Dead" if I can't hold onto stacks long enough to proc the root?

Why does this ability cost Essence? I thought Essence was his health in this form? Is this champion intended to use it's health as a resource, regardless of what form it's in? If so, why differentiate between Health and Essence if they're both functionally the same resource?

The passive ability prevents allied champions from appearing on an enemy champion's minimap if they're at low health and within 400 units of Azrael.

This is a stupid ability and I will tell you why: Even if a low-health champion is close enough to Azrael to be affected by his passive W, as long as the enemy team has sight of Azrael through the fog of war via creeps, wards or their teammates, the enemy team will still be able to see that low health champion. Effectively, this passive ability is completely worthless.

As for the active, that is way too much damage resist and sustain on one ability. The fact that it costs Health instead of an actual resource means anyone who lanes with Azrael has access to permanent sustain. That's overpowered and bad design.

It's like you took the reveal component of Twisted Fate's ultimate ability and made it even more broken. What possessed you to think that resourceless, passive sight of the entire enemy team once they've spawned for 2 minutes wasn't completely broken?

You know what? I'm done reviewing this champ. I tried to be nice and throw you a bone but it's clear to me that you don't know what the **** you're doing. Azrael's kit is a bunch of overpowered garbage with unclear, convoluted mechanics that probably seemed cool to you but show absolutely no consideration of in-game power, balance or counterplay in their design. I have better things to do with my time than explain to you in detail why this champion is a broken mess. Based on your post history, it doesn't seem to me like you're interested in hearing honest criticism anyway. I hope that attitude takes you far in life.

Drake O Dagger

04-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplefugly View Post

Azrael's armor, magic resist and movement speed are way too low. If he was ranged I'd be willing to overlook this but as a melee champion he is rendered unplayable by these current stats. In my opinion his armor and armor growth need to be buffed to 15 base and 3.5 per level, his magic resist should have a 1.25 growth modifier, and his base movement speed should be around 325-330.

I'm going to be straight with you: Azrael's passive is written poorly and makes no sense. You say he uses Essence as health while he's in scythe form, but then he also regenerates health? Or is he regenerating Essence? And he spends Essence/Health to use his scythe abilities in both forms? "Essence" doesn't communicate what this resource is or how it's spent. How is it different from mana or energy? The resource mechanics alone need to be rewritten so it is clear to the reader how this champion's abilities are gated.

Mechanically, the Scythe form is ridiculously broken. The percentage of physical damage reduction Azrael gets for free would cost any other champion thousands of gold. According to you, he regains "30% of his Health 7 seconds after dying." I thought his Essence becomes his health? Why is he getting more health? Why does this passive have no cooldown?

So he gets an additional 30% health on top of the Essence that's converted to Health, and then recovers another 60% Health over six seconds, then can switch back to his base form? Compared to Anivia and Zac, this is completely ridiculous and broken as all hell. My advice would be to scrap this passive entirely and make switching between his base abilities and scythe abilities his R like Nidalee, Jayce and Elise. From there, you can come up with a passive that complements switching between those two playstyles that isn't so flagrantly unbalanced.

I'm not trying to be mean, but this passive is not good champion design and really bodes poorly for the rest of Azrael's kit.

This ability gives Azrael yet another resource to manage called "The Fallen." After 20 creeps or 2 champions die within 1000 units of Azrael, this ability deals its max damage to one enemy and fears them for 2 seconds. If you want Azrael to have a single-target nuke with a fear component, you'd be better off just giving him one instead of this ability that has gimmicky mechanics behind its design for no discernible reason. Why should Azrael have to wait for 20 creeps or 2 champs to die for him to use his nuke at maximum effectiveness? It makes no sense.

Also, why does this ability cost Health?

This ability is a line skillshot that deals lots of damage to the first enemy hit and reduced damage to subsequent enemies hit. If Azrael kills an enemy with this ability, he gains a stack of The Dead (oh boy! more resources to manage!), which roots nearby enemies for 0.5 seconds per stack, with a maximum root time of 3.0 seconds. Stacks decay every 0.5 seconds.

It sounds like these stacks are used up the moment you build them, which raises the question: Why would I ever want to build up stacks of "The Dead" if I can't hold onto stacks long enough to proc the root?

Why does this ability cost Essence? I thought Essence was his health in this form? Is this champion intended to use it's health as a resource, regardless of what form it's in? If so, why differentiate between Health and Essence if they're both functionally the same resource?

The passive ability prevents allied champions from appearing on an enemy champion's minimap if they're at low health and within 400 units of Azrael.

This is a stupid ability and I will tell you why: Even if a low-health champion is close enough to Azrael to be affected by his passive W, as long as the enemy team has sight of Azrael through the fog of war via creeps, wards or their teammates, the enemy team will still be able to see that low health champion. Effectively, this passive ability is completely worthless.

As for the active, that is way too much damage resist and sustain on one ability. The fact that it costs Health instead of an actual resource means anyone who lanes with Azrael has access to permanent sustain. That's overpowered and bad design.

It's like you took the reveal component of Twisted Fate's ultimate ability and made it even more broken. What possessed to think that resourceless, passive sight of the entire enemy team once they've spawned for 2 minutes wasn't completely broken?

You know what? I'm done reviewing this champ. I tried to be nice and throw you a bone but it's clear to me that you don't know what the **** you're doing. Azrael's kit is a bunch of overpowered garbage with unclear, convoluted mechanics that probably seemed cool to you but show absolutely no consideration of in-game power, balance or counterplay in their design. I have better things to do with my time than explain to you in detail why this champion is a broken mess. Based on your post history, it doesn't seem to me like you're interested in hearing honest criticism anyway. I hope that attitude takes you far in life.
:/ Okay, this I'll take care of right now. I do appreciate honest criticism. What I hate is this kind of criticism, which basically amounts to (by the end of this post at least) "this sucks, scrap it", without really providing me with anything positive out of the entire mess.

Ignoring the fact that your arguments are proven false by several REAL champions (Warwick's ability to detect is in some ways MORE powerful than Azrael's for example), you also seem to be seriously misunderstanding the entire champion. I could spend the next 5 minutes of my life dissecting your entire post to prove where you're wrong, but I'm just going to move on and clarify what I can, and hope you can at least be less of an ******* to the next person who's champion you review.

Rumplefugly

04-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake O Dagger View Post
:/ Okay, this I'll take care of right now. I do appreciate honest criticism. What I hate is this kind of criticism, which basically amounts to (by the end of this post at least) "this sucks, scrap it", without really providing me with anything positive out of the entire mess.

Ignoring the fact that your arguments are proven false by several REAL champions (Warwick's ability to detect is in some ways MORE powerful than Azrael's for example), you also seem to be seriously misunderstanding the entire champion. I could spend the next 5 minutes of my life dissecting your entire post to prove where you're wrong, but I'm just going to move on and clarify what I can, and hope you can at least be less of an ******* to the next person who's champion you review.
If I'm misunderstanding the champion, it's because you've done a terrible job communicating how this champion is intended to be played. To anyone with a rudimentary understanding of this game's mechanics, your champion is blatantly overpowered.

Warwick's ability to detect is countered by the fact that he has no burst, no way to initiate aside his ultimate, and can only win fights by out-sustaining his opponent over a prolonged period of time. This champion is not Warwick, it's a Mary Sue hodgepodge of broken mechanics and has no place in League.

Drake O Dagger

04-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplefugly View Post
If I'm misunderstanding the champion, it's because you've done a terrible job communicating how this champion is intended to be played. To anyone with a rudimentary understanding of this game's mechanics, your champion is blatantly overpowered.

Warwick's ability to detect is countered by the fact that he has no burst, no way to initiate aside his ultimate, and can only win fights by out-sustaining his opponent over a prolonged period of time. This champion is not Warwick, it's a Mary Sue hodgepodge of broken mechanics and has no place in League.
GTFO of my thread if all you're going to do is neg all the posts in it. BTW, I disagree with you on Warwick's ability being "countered" like that, as it hardly makes a difference if it's burst or sustained in the long run. Regardless, unlike Warwick, Azrael doesn't perma-reveal them either, so Warwick's effect is still stronger.

Rumplefugly

04-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake O Dagger View Post
GTFO of my thread if all you're going to do is neg all the posts in it. BTW, I disagree with you on Warwick's ability being "countered" like that, as it hardly makes a difference if it's burst or sustained in the long run. Regardless, unlike Warwick, Azrael doesn't perma-reveal them either, so Warwick's effect is still stronger.
Confirmed for knowing jack-sh*t about League. Good luck with your future player concepts.