My Solo Top Main

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Get Physical

03-27-2012

Hello there, I plan to main Gangplank for my solo top.
I build him the "Manplank" way.
Mercs/Atmogs/Maw Of Malmortius/Trinity.
I build depending on who's doing the most decent on the other team.
I'll either go for Atmog's or Maw 1st.
Now i'm asking for advice/opinions.

How do you feel about a this build for a GP lategame?
Is it more viable to build him Critplank or This?
If I catch an AD carry lategame alone will this build allow me to 1v1 them effectively?
for the last item I have strong trouble deciding going either Last Whisper or I.E Or B.T.
which do you guys think is more effective? Or what item would best complete that build?
I never get to finish my builds it normally ends at Trinity BUT incase the game goes on to long I want to be ready.
Last question
Is GP still good in High Elo?
I want to be able to use this guy if I am left with the position of solo top.

Amatzikahni

03-27-2012

GP is so versatile that he's hard to counter. He's viable at all Elo brackets as top and as jungle.

Many people prefer Wriggle's for solo top sustain, but I prefer Philo since it has so much synergy with his kit—E boosts your allies' speed and R lowers your enemies' speed, so Shurelya's makes it possible to initiate whenever you want. Outside of that, I haven't looked at Maw yet but the rest of your build is standard. IE is a must due to his Parrrley crits. The only downside to this kind of build is that you have no lifesteal, but all you should be doing is poking who you can and hitting whoever's out in front for the DoT and the slow; if they split up, then you can chase down the carry but most likely they will slaughter you with no Thornmail once their build nears completion. If you were building more AD carry-like, then you'd want LW and BT for the ARP and lifesteal, and if you were going more tank-like, you'd want more defenses which makes lifesteal pretty obsolete, but what you have is the way I see GP played most. Of course, in different brackets you may be hard carrying and grab such items as PD and BT, so never rule anything completely out.

Due to his W, you should always consider Ionian boots. If they have 4+ CC's, then easily take Merc's. Some champs need QSS for just a single CC, but GP can probably get away with Ionian against 3 hard CC's depending on the game flow and teamfight direction.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-27-2012

I'd agree that Ionic is a good idea for GP who doesnt otherwise take CDR items. This helps have your Ult up when needed as well as quicker Parrley spam and faster heals.

You kinda need some sustain as mentioned. Wriggles is solid and gives huge sustain. Philo gives free gold, helps MANA as well as health.

I prefer Philo too as Reverie is great and will boost your CDR to 30%. Remember that a GP can always level up his Heal and get incredible sustain. This is good vs super high sustain champs that you just can't seem to Parley and get anywhere.
Instead you can use 60 mana to get a 360 point heal and just make it a Farm War. You can Refuse to Lose in this way and force a tie.

Atmog is certainly a good choice since GP makes for a strong bruiser nowdays. That plus the Maw gives you solid defenses, high health, a strong parrley, and a good bruiser.

That will last most of the game right there with boots,maw,atma,warmog, reverie. For your last item, TriForce seems fine. OR you can go for Inf Edge instead. TriForce gives you a guaranteed 160ish damage on top of each Parrley, along with movespeed, AD, AS, etc.
But IE will combo with your Atmas for a 50% crit chance that deals 260% damage!

With 100 base AD, 60 atma, 60maw,80ie thats 300 AD, or a parrley that hits for 780! Owwie.

corallein

03-27-2012

Ionian Boots are terrible. Never, ever buy them on GP. The defensive stats from Merc Treads or Ninja Tabis are vastly superior than getting CDR and nothing else.

arcticnerd

03-27-2012

It all depends on your team comp. I haven’t played much GP but from what I have seen going heavy into dps makes him into too much of glass cannon. You would end up only being able to use your parley for damage and trying to stay away from the opposing tanky dps. That being said I do think that going warmogs – atmas takes far too long to build and doesn’t give enough damage while you are building it. I prefer to go Frozen Mallet atmas instead but that’s just me.

Folly Inc

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallein View Post
Ionian Boots are terrible. Never, ever buy them on GP. The defensive stats from Merc Treads or Ninja Tabis are vastly superior than getting CDR and nothing else.
This is wrong. Supportplank gets nothing from merc treads. Nothing. Ninja tabi is barely more viable. Ionian is far superior if you're not building other CDR items, which you're likely not, excepting Shurelia's.

corallein

03-27-2012

*looks at thread title*
Yup, not about Support Plank. Also, Merc Treads are fine on Support Plank, and Ionian still aren't very good. Even as support, more defensive stats is better and CDR is lackluster.

Let's look at what pros build on non-tanky, ranged caster supports!
http://iemhanover.leagueoflegends.co...tch-aaa-vs-clg
Sona: Merc Treads
Janna: Merc Treads

Why? Because that CC reduction and MR can still save your butt, and CDR adds very little.

Urek Mazin0

03-27-2012

corallein is right, ionian boots are bad on gp, the only case where you might consider building them is if you are stacking gp's, but then again that as well is a bad strategy in the current meta, since top is no longer a lane that sits afk, it needs to have some presence and help when dragons come, or in case of counter jungle.

gang plank, to be honest with you, is not that often seen in high elo, at least as top. the thing is, there are so many champions that can beat him in lane, and gp doesnt have the strongest of team fighting power. so basically, if you fp him, they can counter you with malphite, who has an inmensely stronger team fight power, or pantheon who has much more prensence in the map than gp with merely his global aoe. pantheon is a much better anti-carry than gp as well. either way not only he is beaten in lane, he is also beaten in other areas where you think he'd excell.