Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Karthus: The Good, The Bad, and the Ultimate

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SwampZero

12-08-2009

Quote:
Proletaria:
And what would you suggest in it's place? Heal + your first health pot pretty much prevents any early backing unless they bring a second champ to gank you at mid (and you happen to not notice his approach). Maybe ghost, but heal is a far nicer spell for the team and for staying in the lane. I stick by my opinion on that.

Heal isn't an escape mechanism, you're right. If you're using heal when you are *being* ganked, you're doing it wrong.

clairvoyance.

rally.

fortify.

team spells that are good for the team irrelevant on who has them, or if they're specced up or not.

Clairvoyance especially, since no one ever gets it, and it owns.

Proletaria

12-08-2009

Quote:
SwampZero:
clairvoyance.

rally.

fortify.

team spells that are good for the team irrelevant on who has them, or if they're specced up or not.

Clairvoyance especially, since no one ever gets it, and it owns.

If who has team spells is irrelavent then all of those are equally irrelavent. Only heal and rally really effect you personally, and as you mentioned it's a very minor thing applied just to your own champ. So what exactly is the point?

Arguing Karthas is best suited to take the less self-benefiting summoner spells is pretty flimsy. I'd espcially question leaving off teleport. If you are clearing multipul lanes (which is very easy with defile after level 7 or so) of minion waves you're going to need to back for mana and buying item upgrades quite a bit. Reducing your downtime getting to the team's location, or anywhere else important feels more valuable than rally.

So although you might be a tough guy in the lane with fortify and rally, the amount of time you're gone traveling back and forth from the base is something you need to take into account. I'll try switching up the summoner spells for my next few games and see how it plays.

@Fuzzy, my apologies for the trash talk, but those terrible carries were on my last nerve.

Brontobeuf

12-08-2009

1. Runes.
-Adapt your runes to your gameplay. If you spam LW then you may find some use in mana regen runes.
-Adapt your runes to your items. The two new items for CD red add 25% and some good early to midgame itemisation (Haunting Guise & Deathfire Grasp).
-Adapt your runes to your masteries. You can have 9% CD Red in masteries, as well as 21 in utility and the 15% magic resist reduction (awesome).

Meaning that you can just drop all but 6% CD Red runes.
This leaves you rooms for mana regen, more survivability and magic penetration.

2. Sumonner spells.
Teleport is fine.
But heal is a ****. Play better, start with potions or a health regen pendant and you will be allowed to play something more usefull like Ignite, Smite (improve it) or Clairvoyance to check if dudes are waiting with low life behind towers.

3. Items.
You should give a try to the two I've mentioned in the 1st ยง. Great great items really.
After, it depends on how good (or bad) the game begins and what are your opponents. Btw, it's sad that scepter doesn't work on him.

4. Skills.
Wall is a must have, and maxed asap (lvl 13/14 is ok). I personnaly buy it at lvl 2 and start with Defile instead of LW. I don't like LW.
With a wall, ignite and defile 2, I can kill a guy (or two) at lvl 3.

5. Profit. Nice guide anyway, this is a very hard hero to master. I love him.

TrickyCat

12-08-2009

Quote:
Proletaria:
Except that early on your mana regen is fine unless you're frequently using defile to push a hero out (which is going to drain you chalice or not). The MR is nice, true, but I don't see how it trumps sorc boots.

1) If you want to get chalice, you get mana drained from lay waste spam, that's when it shines. Remember, it make syou regen faster with the less mana you have. It can be handy.

2) You can get boots and a chalice if need be.

3) Sorc boots are terrible. They are not worth the cost. Better of with boots of mobility or Merc Treads.

4) Clairvoyance is awesome and directly affects your character. it's basically a "check lizard and golem" to see if you can get a nice gank in or not, among many other things you can do with it.

Overall, I find your guide to be a little preachy and you admonish other decent options as if they aren't good enough or your preference is better (it's not.)

Proletaria

12-08-2009

Since when does the scepter not work on him? I heard it not only worked, but stacked with the wall debuff, but my information could be dated. Also, Ignite is pretty bad in comparison to heal imo. You aren't going to see many heroes get away with a sliver of hp as karthas, players will know that doing so invites you to ult them so the benefit of ignite (I suppose getting them in range of the ult kill could prove useful) over something else seems pretty low to me.

Thanks for the tips about runes, i'm still pretty nubish about that particular aspect of the game.

Skills. I don't know how you can't like lay waste. It's really the greatest tool in your arsenal if you know how to aim it well. Not only that, but it allows you to have mana efficient laning between defiles that will quickly drain you dry and leave you either helplessly oom and waiting on regen, or pilling back to base more than you should. I agree wall is great, but i'd hardly level it over defile or lay waste. The wall is a great initiator, and the debuff is gravy, but defile and lay waste are your consistant damage (and unlike wall they don't have much of a cooldown to wait on).

Thanks for the more constructive feedback. I agree, karthas is great fun, but certainly takes a lot more to master.

Proletaria

12-08-2009

Quote:
TrickyCat:
1) If you want to get chalice, you get mana drained from lay waste spam, that's when it shines. Remember, it make syou regen faster with the less mana you have. It can be handy.

2) You can get boots and a chalice if need be.

3) Sorc boots are terrible. They are not worth the cost. Better of with boots of mobility or Merc Treads.

4) Clairvoyance is awesome and directly affects your character. it's basically a "check lizard and golem" to see if you can get a nice gank in or not, among many other things you can do with it.

Overall, I find your guide to be a little preachy and you admonish other decent options as if they aren't good enough or your preference is better (it's not.)

First, you can spam lay-waste enough to both last-hit every minion and harass an opposing champ without a chalice. Lay-waste isn't a mana hog, defile is. Secondly, sorc boots are far from terrible but i can see the merit in the other boot options, it depends on your opposing team make-up really.

I never disputed clairvoyance as being useful, but having it in duplicate (or on a team with card man) isn't going to benefit the team much more than the small gains of any other summoner spell. Again, really depends on your makeup and who is getting what on your team. I don't see karthas as a mule for the utility summoner spells, but i'm sure you could play him that way without much problem.

I started (and ended) my guild saying i just wanted to get my ideas out there and discuss the champion. Sorry if it sounded preachy, it was not intended to be so.