[Guide] Kassadin - The Void Walker

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LostLegend

12-07-2009

[Update] 12/08/09
~ Corrected Strategy & Walkthrough Sections
~ Added Lv 18 End Stats

Tired of playing defensively? Still waiting for your AP items? Hate running out of mana? Like running into the action and coming out with just scratches then ready to kill more? Well it’s your lucky day; prepare to meet the true Void Walker.

If you’ve been searching for guides on to playing Kassadin better, you will quickly notice that every one of them focuses on AP and if you believe just that, then you might as well stop reading now because I’m about to throw that logic into the garbage.

I have tried different AP builds and it just doesn’t feel right and that’s because there are actually too many faults in the process that work against his character design. This style of playing is slow and you have to relay on team mates to damage them enough for you to kill anyone but even then your completely left open because you’re most likely out of mana after. So, once you attack and they are still left standing, you are ****ed whether you missed or didn’t do enough damage, its all or nothing because your physical damage is too low and your attack speed also too slow. Basically, there is no back up plan for you once you fail, sure you have a lot of HP but its not like they can’t stun, slow, blast the **** out of you since they have MP and you do not or they just run, not like you can catch them.

But to be fair, lets look at the qualities of my (I guess dps/hybrid) build and an AP build plus the negative parts.

AP Build
+ Burst Damage
+ Decent HP/MP
(Anyone want to add here?)

- No Nether Blade = Running out of MP
- AP items cost a lot
- Cannot kill a full HP champion
- Dies very fast even with HP stacking
- Pretty useless until mid level+
- No mana when you need it
- Can’t kill creeps till late game
- Low survivability
- Needs a REALLY good team

My Build
+ Decent HP
+ Minimum 290 MP (For all 3 skills)
+ Nether Blade (Don’t believe this is ****, because it isn’t)
+ Nearly infinite Riftwalk
+ Tank a Tank (That’s right a TANK and then kill him/her)
+ Kill jungle creeps at lvl 10
+ Kill minions efficiently without mana
+ Actually damage a building
+ Low cost items
+ Overall useful in a team fight
+ Cause confusion since people already thinks Kassadin = AP
+ Can jump right into the front lines
+ Stay out longer

- No Burst Damage
- Virtually no AP (unless you want some)
- Needs a decent team
(Going to need help here too)

Skills

Void Stone - Passive: Reduces 15% ability damage taken and converts it to attack speed.

Null Sphere - Active: Shoots a purple ball that tracks and usually connects within 1-2 seconds causing magic damage and silence. You will be leaving this skill at level 1 until you max everything else, the main purpose is for the silence and the damage is just a bonus.

Cooldown: 9 seconds
Mana Cost: 70 / 80 / 90 / 100 / 110
Magic Damage: 80 / 130 / 180 / 230 / 280 (+? per AP)
Silence Duration: 1 / 1 / 2 / 2 / 3 seconds
Range: 700

Nether Blade - Passive: Steals mana by % of target’s mana for every physical attack that connects and gains twice the amount stolen. This skill is VERY important for this build unlike every other AP build out there which seem to think this skill is useless, very wrong on that one. You will be levelling this skill behind Force Pulse and Riftwalk.

Mana Cost: Free
Mana Drain: 2 / 2.75 / 3.5 / 4.25 / 5%

Force Pulse - Active: Shoots a blast of mini blades in a cone shape that damage and slow enemies for 3 seconds, requires 6 charges to use (when anyone nearby uses an ability = 1 charge). AP builds use this skill for its strong damage and slow down, the same reasons here but more for the slow effect especially at the beginning of a game.

Cooldown: 5 seconds
Mana Cost: 80
Magic Damage: 60 / 120 / 180 / 240 / 300 (+0.8 per AP)
Slowdown Rate: 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50%
Range: 400

Riftwalk - Active: Teleports you to the select location and causes area magic damage. Cast the skill again within 7 seconds of the last cast to add 60 / 90 / 120 magic damage but also costing 100 more mana. This will be your main skill for starting up a fight, damage, movement and escaping.

Cooldown: 6 / 5 / 4 seconds
Mana Cost: 100
Magic Damage: 60 / 90 / 120 (+? per AP)
Slowdown Rate: 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50%
Range: 700-900

Items

Malady
+15% Lifesteal
+40% A-Spd
Unique: Physical attacks add 5 bonus damage each time the target is hit by any champion (stacks up to 6 times)
Price: 1890

Berserker’s Greaves
+25% A-Spd
Unique: +2 M-Spd
Price: 920

Frozen Mallet
+775 HP
+20 Damage
Unique: Physical attacks reduce target's M-spd for 2.5 secs.
Price: 3290

Banshee’s Veil
+500 HP
+400 MP
+60 MR
Unique: Blocks one negative spell every 30 seconds.
Price: 2715

These are the main items to this build, getting them in this order is what I have been doing. As you can already see the important starting stat here is attack speed and you will know why later but you can probably already guess. The two last item slots are free for anything you may need and if you are still craving AP, you can put them here now. I have filled the last two slots with an Infinity Edge and Phantom Dancer from a practice game which I prolonged just to test them out. I must say it was quite insane, 500+ critical every 2-3 hits, 1.8 hits per second, you do the math. Of course you will never make them both in a real game, but if you wanted to try making at least one of them I would recommend Phantom Dancer; cheaper and overall better.

Walkthrough

Lv 1-6
Start off by buying Vampiric Scepter, and a lane preferably with someone long range and avoid long range enemies. At this point just try to level up and use the life steal on minions to keep the lane in control. Use Force Pulse when you can to push back enemies or kill minions.

E – Force Pulse
W – Nether Blade
Q – Null Sphere
E – Force Pulse
W – Nether Blade

Lv 6-12
At level 7 or 8 you should have Malady now and can pretty much guarantee a kill with an ally that can stun plus using the stack damage of Malady and Riftwalk. By level 10 you should have already completed your Berserker’s Greaves, from here kill as much as you can to gain gold for the Frozen Hammer. Get the right prerequisite item for the job, get the Phage if you’re lacking damage or if you’re having problem surviving, get the Giant’s Belt. You may also kill creeps in the jungle if you want including Ancient Golem for the mana regen buff.

R – Riftwalk
E – Force Pulse
W – Nether Blade
E – Force Pulse
W – Nether Blade
R – Riftwalk

Lv 12-16
By level 14 now, Frozen Hammer should be done and you should be killing, harassing every lane possible especially those who are completely alone. Make sure to charge Riftwalk at least 2-3x and Force Pulse before launching an assault.

E – Force Pulse
W – Nether Blade
Q – Null Sphere
Q – Null Sphere
R – Riftwalk

Lv 16-18
You should be near or finished making Banishing Veil, once that is done you will be ready to take on anything. You should be noticing by now whenever you have killed a champion your mana is either maxed or half way if you’ve killed them with a Riftwalk. That is because Nether Blade is draining 50+ mana per a hit meaning you are gaining 100+ mana back and you would hit them 6 times in 3 seconds, thats 600+ mana back before Riftwalk is even ready. As long as you are hitting a champion your going to always have mana ready, meaning an endless Riftwalk, at least till you hit your max mana limit.

Q – Null Sphere
Q – Null Sphere

End Stats (With the 4 items)
Health: 3112
Mana: 1440
Damage: 140
Ability: 10
A-Speed: 1.519
M-Speed: 385
Armor: 71
Resist: 112

Strategies

1 vs 1 - You can either have Riftwalk or Force Pulse charged or not for this, having it would just make it a faster kill. Jump in with a Riftwalk, Force Pulse or Null Sphere after then just keep attacking till Riftwalk is ready again. Usually, if this is the first time they have encountered you 1 on 1 they will most likely sit and attack, big mistake there. If they have a stun it won’t work on you at the start of the fight thanks to Banishing Veil which blocks a negative spell every 30 seconds (A blue ring around your Champion depicts when it’s on). After about 3 seconds they will start noticing that you are barely getting scratched because of the life steal from Malady. They will begin to run, you may use Null Sphere here if you have it available to prevent a stun but it won’t really matter because here comes the last step. So, you’re stunned, no biggie because once they start running they will quickly notice that they are slowed from Frozen Hammer and no matter how long the stun is all your going to need to catch up is a Riftwalk. They are either dead with that last Riftwalk, if not just give chase hacking and slashing and no worries they aren’t going to be able to counter back because they are probably out of mana!!! All thanks to the almighty Nether Blade.

1 vs 2 - This time you’re going to need Riftwalk charge to 4x basically leaving more than enough mana to use your Force Pulse and Null Sphere. If you know both of them have a stun then make sure to Null Sphere one of them once you rift in preferably the one you are not attacking first. Aim for the lowest HP target first, getting rid of them quickly so the rest of your HP can be focused on the other guy. Avoid rifting if possible when its recharged unless you can hit both targets because you want to let loose 720 magic damage for the second guy at the start and a Force Pulse that should be charged plus Null Sphere to stop all their attacks. From here its basically back to 1 vs 1 tactics except Riftwalk is going be 840-1080 magic damage now. Once they are dead, you should be at around 10-40% of your HP considering who you fought. Start killing minions to replenish or if your team members need help, reset your Riftwalk and start recharging towards your target.

1 vs 3 - You aren’t going win this fight, your purpose is to distract and possibly take one of them out and reduce their life as much as possible. Using the same tactics as 1 vs 2, target the weakest and Null Sphere the strongest attacker in there to reduce the damage you take. Basically hold your ground till you team rushes in, from there you may continue to attack or save your life by rifting and if you escaped you can also rerift back in with the stacked damage you have accumulated.

Conclusion

Well that’s pretty much it for my guide thanks for reading; hopefully you have enjoyed the mind trip and have a new perspective to Kassadin. Please do try this guide for free and if you’re not 100% satisfied that this build is better or more versatile than an AP Build, then please send your complaint here so I may throw it in the garbage. Just joking, but seriously people need to try this because I’m only level 12 and I have no idea what Masteries are best or even how much a difference having a full rune book may help, so the testing and feedback are appreciated and thanks.

Also, if there is any incorrect information in here please do tell and don't mind the grammar, I know its ****.

AIM7Sparrow

12-07-2009

Right off the bat I noticed something drastically wrong with this guide. I just skimmed ahead and noticed in the 1vs2 section you mention charging your riftwalk to x5 before engaging. I'm wondering how you even have the mana to null sphere and force pulse them after doing so, let alone charging your riftwalk to x5 stacks in the first place. Riftwalk alone takes would be as follows: 100 + 100(2) + 100(3) + 100(4) + 100(5) = 1500 mana. You're only mana item is an unimpressive +400 banshee's veil.

It's tempting to try and go mana-denial with Kassadin via attack speed and HP but it just doesn't work. Even if you somehow do manage to pull it off his mana steal is against one character at a time. It'll take a good 5-7 whacks to make a big difference. Factoring in a gracious 1.5 attacks per second and that's around 8 seconds of ideal, uninterrupted attacking time to just affect a single champion. If you can somehow face an enemy that doesn't stun, silence, or micro better than you and still be able to out damage them with your sub-par physical attack then something is wrong with the people you're playing against. Not to mention, completely useless in team fights.

Oh and your first point into force pulse is absolutely the wrong pick. There's no way at level one you are going to be getting enough charges to make use of it since you can't even charge it yourself. Null sphere is the correct choice for easier and more reliable farming/harassment.

LostLegend

12-08-2009

The strategy section is for lvl 18 and supplying me with the base mana at lv 18 helps too. I only remember a game where I had 1900 mana at end of a game and thats where I got it from of course another mana item could of done it.

True, that at lvl 1 Force Pulse most likely wont be charged, but thats why you get it so it already has charges before lv 2, and even Null Sphere is just as useless at the start as well. Even more so because it does like a tick and silence is 1 sec, while I have Force Pulse charges early.But no matter what build you go with for Kass, your not going to plan to kill anyone till you have Riftwalk anyways.

AIM7Sparrow

12-08-2009

level 1 goes into null sphere to last hit creeps. you are melee after all and you'll take punishment from getting too close to your enemy. it's not to try and kill your opponent. and there's really no other way I can explain how force pulse is wrong. at lv 1 everybody has only one skill. it's not like people spam skills at level 1 so force pulse literally is useless. "having it charged by the time you reach level 2" means absolutely nothing. there's really no debate on the issue, first point into force pulse = fail.

JunkRamen

12-08-2009

Void Sphere at 1, no questions asked. In the face of any kind of zone control or harassment Kassadin really needs help getting those last hits.

wildfire393

12-08-2009

Might I suggest that Wit's End is a good item for this build? You get more attack speed, more mana drain, and more damage, while still getting a little survivability from the MR it provides.

AIM7Sparrow

12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire393 View Post
Might I suggest that Wit's End is a good item for this build? You get more attack speed, more mana drain, and more damage, while still getting a little survivability from the MR it provides.
does wit's end proc on kassadin's netherblade? to be honest even if it did thats a whopping 4 mana a hit max. pass. this isn't what kassadin was made to do. Riot says he has "may build routes" but he really doesn't. AP is what you should be going with him. Anti-caster MIGHT work and I'm actually currently experimenting but again, AP hands down wins over anything else.

Eungomi

12-08-2009

I love this build. With this build I found him to be alot like Anti-Mage from DOTA. Hit and run style really fits him perfectly. Riftwalk is more like a blink with like 3 sec CD here. Also I'm amazed at how much mana NB can steal from magic users. People who got tired of Super Mario style Kassadin should try it out.

Charmicarmicarmicat

12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperness View Post
does wit's end proc on kassadin's netherblade? to be honest even if it did thats a whopping 4 mana a hit max. pass. this isn't what kassadin was made to do. Riot says he has "may build routes" but he really doesn't. AP is what you should be going with him. Anti-caster MIGHT work and I'm actually currently experimenting but again, AP hands down wins over anything else.
Ye, theres no way you can successfully build kassadin as anything but a caster.

I can see how wits end and netherblade can burn manafast in the early/middle stages, but wouldnt you rather want damage, mana and survability? In 95% of the case, the answer is yes.

JunkRamen

12-08-2009

Going "Mana Drain" as Kassadin is laughable. Even the tankiest of tanks have trouble autoattacking someone more than a few times per battle, and spending gold on iaspd and stuff like Wit's End is definitely not making your tankier. The question becomes weather you'd rather go toe to toe with Annie/Ryze/Anivia for the 10 seconds or whatever you need just to OOM them or if you'd rather hit and run/burst them down in spurts of a couple seconds to actually kill them.