I ragequit last night...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stillhart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2010

...after my team surrendered early. I have officially decided that I hate quitters way more than I hate people who talk smack or feed. You can't ruin my game by talking smack cuz I can just /ignore you. You can't ruin my game by intentionally feeding because I like a challenge and I know you'll get banned after I report you. You CAN ruin my game by ending it before the outcome is decided.

We didn't even have a single inhibitor tower down. We lost a couple team fights in a row by about 30-35 mins and they ****ing gave up and surrendered. The point of the game is not to win the most team fights, it's to destroy the nexus. It's odd to me how many people fail to realize this simple fact and the implications of it.

I have won MANY games 50+ minutes in when we were losing the whole game. All it takes is ONE mistake by the enemy team late game and you can roll right on thru and win. In fact, those wins are far more satisfying than forcing a surrender at 25-30m.

I was really pissed off last night and I don't think I'm going to team with those guys for a while until I cool off. I don't remember the last time I got that angry at a video game. >.<

EmissaryShadow

Emissary of the League

11-10-2010

I factor how badly we are losing when I decide to surrender or not.
I don't like surrendering much, but when I explode in two seconds as the tank and my team doesn't lay more than a scratch on the enemy.

I'm not a competitive player, I don't particularly care win or lose, I play for fun, and watching the enemy pad their kill stats is not fun when I can't do anything about it.

Personally I'd rather go play another game where I can at least attempt to win than hope for a critical error that drags the game out for another 20 minutes.

But to each their own. I don't really see why this was in new players other than the fact you dislike General.

Siegman

11-10-2010

Unless there is something fundamentally broken like a 3v5 situation I would rather not surrender and see where the game goes. I can sympathize with you. Unfortunately, this is often a minority stance. One or two bad things happen and people just give up.

However, often I just won't vote so that I'm not forcing people who don't want to play to play. I will always vote no though if someone gives up and stands at the nexus or intentionally feeds. There's no way I'm rewarding that behavior.

Good luck out there, hope you find some tougher friends to play with!

Stillhart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncasedShadow View Post
I don't really see why this was in new players other than the fact you dislike General.
Because new players need to understand that there is only one win condition: destroying the enemy nexus.

Losing fights sucks, but you can still win the game even so. You can learn from your enemies when they're good. You can adapt your build and your strategy to counter them. Stats don't matter, destroying the nexus matters.

Yes, I understand that getting aced gives them plenty of time to destroy your towers and get to your nexus. But before 45-50m they're not going to win just from acing you once or twice. I've come back from many a slow start by farming up a good counter-build and taking advantage of enemy mistakes.

I'm hoping new players will realize that there is more to playing this game than winning team fights. That playing a support or a tank character and having ****ty stats but winning the game is more important than playing a carry and killing everyone and still losing. That surrendering early is doing yourself a disservice since you're denying yourself the opportunity to learn.

EDIT - Oh and they might also find that coming back and winning a 60m game that you thought you were gonna lose is WAY more satisfying than forcing a surrender at 25-30m.

ClownInMilkTruck

11-10-2010

Unfortunately free to play games tend to attract bad players, if someone is not good, quits a lot, ends up having a negative experience most of the time, and gives the excuse of "it's just a game" for how badly they play, they're very likely to end up on a free to play game where they can spend their time disrupting others and sucking without it feeling like it "matters" because it took place on a free to play. Sorry, welcome to LoL, start adding the good ones to your Flist

Stillhart

11-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SooperSmurph View Post
Unfortunately free to play games tend to attract bad players, if someone is not good, quits a lot, ends up having a negative experience most of the time, and gives the excuse of "it's just a game" for how badly they play, they're very likely to end up on a free to play game where they can spend their time disrupting others and sucking without it feeling like it "matters" because it took place on a free to play. Sorry, welcome to LoL, start adding the good ones to your Flist
While I don't necessarily agree with the cynical sentiment, I do find your line of reasoning very interesting. It's what I like to think of a "economic" thinking since I learned to think that way in my econ classes. Primary effects, secondary effects, cause and effect that aren't obviously related.

By your logic, a pay game like HoN or DOTA2 will have a community of better players since it's not free. I've never played DotA or any other MOBA so I'm curious if that's actually the case. My gut instinct is that it's more of an internet thing than a pay/free thing.

ClownInMilkTruck

11-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
While I don't necessarily agree with the cynical sentiment, I do find your line of reasoning very interesting. It's what I like to think of a "economic" thinking since I learned to think that way in my econ classes. Primary effects, secondary effects, cause and effect that aren't obviously related.

By your logic, a pay game like HoN or DOTA2 will have a community of better players since it's not free. I've never played DotA or any other MOBA so I'm curious if that's actually the case. My gut instinct is that it's more of an internet thing than a pay/free thing.
The thing about pay to plays, is that the people playing aren't just "players", they're "customers" who can demand compensation for a negative experience depending on the situation and the service, bad and disruptive players tend to get flagged quickly, because keeping the game experience free of ruination is part of what people are paying for, and keeping the community free of cheaters and ******s can only result in more players coming to the game, win for the player, win for the company, lose for the morons who need to find something better to do than act like ass clowns towards strangers on the internet. Come on, you know ur momma taught you better.

Stillhart

11-10-2010

Thanks, that's some good food for thought. To take the discussion a step further, it's looking like F2P with micro-transactions is becoming the norm for multiplayer online games. At what point can I claim to be a paying customer with the commensurate status? I've paid $40 into this game so far, does that mean I deserve a special queue separate from the F2P players? Will that queue be full of players with more skill or a better mindset? When there is no more pay barrier, can players ever "demand compensation for a negative experience?"

ClownInMilkTruck

11-10-2010

That's a good question, what really constitutes the difference between mere player and customer when both kinds of players exist on the same system, and can achieve roughly equivalent things whether paying or merely playing? I'd love to hear a riot perspective on this, since it's their system.

5pak

11-10-2010

It's funny, over half of the matches where the surrender option comes up, my team has gone on to win. I see it as a hopeful omen unless we've lost two inhibitors and they're not even down a single base tower.