"I play a tank but I'm so afraid to get hurt"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Noobshock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2010

I play Kog.
So many games, I'm laning with a tank, happen to get caught in a CC, and the tank just runs away as fast as he can instead of helping me DPS to at least kill one of the attackers, if not both (which can be done a large majority of the time with Kog's dps, even somewhat early).

So most of the time, they leave Kog to take the hits and die without contributing any damage/pressure, the funniest being when they die shortly after b/c they hesistate to run all the way back and get CC'd and killed as well.

I'm just growing impatient with tanks who seem more scared to take hits than I am with my 10 hp and slow speed.

Noobshock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2010

Basically this rant is really a thread to help new players realize that SOMETIMES, it's really ok to go ahead and take hits/fight. Especially if you are laning with a champion who is all about high dps but cannot escape. Don't be so scared.

R66Y

11-10-2010

As a tank player, I feel your pain. Those that have played with me know that I will dive into any situation that looks like our carry will be killed and do my best to pull him out still kicking. Unfortunately, I often see two things happen.

- The carry gets out at the expense of the tank, followed by the team ragging on the tank for "feeding"

- The carry tries to kite the oppopnents and ends up getting us both killed as I have to keep engaging to save them

I can understand why some tanks are hesitant to make the right play, as it often feels unrewarding and unappreciated. Best advice I can give is when a tank bugs out on you and leaves you for dead, take a second while your respawning to tell them that if they will engage next time you can probably get the two of you a kill or two. If they continue, then just assume they will play like they are made of glass and adjust your game (I know, tanks that run and won't initiate are rather worthless, but you can work around them).

Finally, when a tank does something right, tell them! I probably get a thank you/good job once in a blue moon, but when I do it makes the game more enjoyable. More importantly (at least from the carries perspective) it also makes the tank more likely to do more of the same action that got them the attaboy in the first place.

Orharnah

11-10-2010

Honestly. i find it is beneficial to ask for a lane partner who is "Bold" or "aggressive" and that way you've covered that before the game begins haha

DriftingSmoke

11-10-2010

Come on guys, LoL is a RTS with RPG elements, it's not Gears of War, getting killed is not the end of the round, if you're playing a tank / fighter, ACT LIKE IT, show some balls, help a teammate, pound some face, don't keep running like ur a caster, pffft.

Kyuketsuki

Recruiter

11-10-2010

Playing tank is like playing an offensive lineman in football, it's a thankless job and when you screw up that's normally the only time you are in the limelight. Yes it's hard to decide when to engage or not, but that's the tanks decision. Other than that people don't like dying and typically in an engagement the tank sets himself up to die so the team can win. Main point is some people don't want to tank but chose a "tanky" character so the team could look more complete.

Good luck and love to the mummy who gives all the hugs forever.

Maleficant

11-10-2010

I'm not cut out to play a tank because of what R66Y posted. He's correct in that there's such a fine line between initiating and just feeding that takes a very special person to do properly, as well as a confident team that will follow the tank in and not leave him for dead.

Siegman

11-10-2010

Normally when I play a carry with a tank I try to adjust my play to what the tank is doing. If he's conservative, I adjust. While I would sometimes like him to do things differently, he's doing the job that I didn't want to do this time, so I try to cut him some slack. Always feel badly for the tanks that get crapped on for being the guy willing to take one for the team.

fooolishfool

11-10-2010

Two points.

Firstly, tanks are really squishy at low levels (before items they aren't really tanks), may not actually have their CC to much of an extent, and in general aren't super awesome in a lane (this is why many tanks jungle). Initiating is much more of a late-game concept once they actually have the tools to do it and the itemization to stay alive. It sucks to be stuck in a lane as a tank early, you can't really do anything, you die if they look at you, your partner is probably autoattacking which puts you in a terrible position, etc.. Expect your tank to initiate later in the game when they have items, sure, but early on remember that a tank in a lane needs your support more than anything so that they are able to fill their role later on. And please don't autoattack and push your creeps away from your tower - it makes a crappy laning experience 1000x worse.

Secondly, why are you getting caught in CC and dieing to start with? As Kog, it is your job to 1) stay alive and 2) farm. You should probably have Mid (and if your tank is in a lane, they probably want the support champion with them), but if you don't, you definitely shouldn't be in a position that gets you killed. Focus on last-hitting, out farm your opponents, don't die, wait for them to do something stupid (because they will) and let your tank taunt them under your tower or similarly for some easy kills, but absolutely don't do something that gets you killed.

(Also: don't get angry at your team members under any circumstance - rage in chat is the fastest way to make your team play worse and to guarantee a loss. Be nice, be supportive, don't argue, don't let your team members argue, and you will find yourself winning many games you otherwise wouldn't have)

TheNerfBat

11-11-2010

I find that this situation happens at the lower levels, and especially when the lane partners are true PUGs. Since I dont know my lane partners tendencies and playstyle, I cant read their minds or actions as perfectly as I could if I knew the person and played a lot of games with them.

Easiest way to resolve this. Find/make some friends and learn to play with each other. Other than that, you'll get more mileage out of learning and adapting your playstyle to your lane partners.