Janna or Sona as support

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zellular

11-09-2010

I am a new player and I am looking for a good support character to play and i'm down between Janna, Sona, or any other good support, looking to mostly help my team excel with stuns, buffs, heals etc.

Kyuketsuki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-09-2010

Try taric, he is currently one of the best support champs. Armor buff/debuff, Damage buff (and self heal), a heal and a stun fantastic for all around.

Sona is also great with spam heal, it's kinda sad though current meta is aggressive against healers since they typically don't build much health.

Circle of Manias

11-10-2010

Agreed, Taric does wonders for a team. He heals, and stuns, AND gives armor. between Janna and Sona, probably Sona

xpsychedelico

11-10-2010

I'd suggest Janna just because Sona is easy to play and doesn't have the same "YES I totally did a clutch save there" feeling because her buff/heal spells can't be targeted.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=92349 This guide is really good and is on Janna and how to best use her as a support champion. Janna provides her team with a lot of utility and her ult is a great refresher after a won fight.

Taric is also a good choice if you want to be more durable, most support champions are fragile.

ANDRETHEGOD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2010

I would pick Sona, for 3 reasons:

1st: She is very easy to play, and somehow, she is also fun : )
2nd: She has everything your team needs, Heal/armor, magic resistance buff; Extra movement speed buff; Area of Effect stun...
3rd: Her damage is very good at early levels, allowing you and your lane partner to harass the enemies.

As a second pick, I would buy Taric, he has a Stun, nice heal, Armor buff and alot of pushing power.

I feel like Janna needs to be mastered before you can start to play her effectevly, I wouldn't recommend her to a new player. Sona is much easier

Stalos

11-10-2010

Janna is the most effective support when played well. She can save a whole team from a bad situation with her ult and tornado and still get away with her passive speed.

Or she can solidify a lead by pinning people down with her Tornado and Snare.

Her E gives a 50 damage steroid to a carry w/ a substantial shield along with it and can peel off melee from your ranged carry (seriously playing melee against Janna makes you want to bang your head on the wall) especially ones without any escape abilities like Kog'maw and Ashe.

Otherwise, Sona is the safer choice because she is much easier to play effectively.

P.S. I'm biased because I hate Sona and think she is boring to tears, and Janna is my main.

Orharnah

11-10-2010

I play both of them:

1) Janna is more powerful IMO I feel she is Better

2) Sona is easier and a great support.

That's my opinion haha

dyl

11-10-2010

Sona is generally considered to be the best support champ around at the moment, mostly because of her ability to constantly have 3 auras pretty much. The downside is that her playstyle is extremely simple, and not very fun in my opinion. Also, I personally consider Janna to be the most powerful support champion in the game, because I feel her utility is very varied and strong, and her ultimate is potentially more teamfight-changing than even the popular AOE disables like Amumu.

My personal favorite is definitely Taric though, he may not be the best after all the nerfs he's been through, but he's still darn good, and fabulous to boot. Not to mention he can also function as a semi-tank which no other support can really do. Other champs have support aspects (Zilean is arguably "support" and good at it), but those are the big 3 at the moment. Soraka is... well Soraka is still okay but wouldn't be my or most people's first or even second choice for support. I would recommend try Taric while he's free this week and try to decide based on what playstyle you like the most.

MaR10s

11-11-2010

Sona is easier to pick up if you haven't played support before, and she is very strong without being difficult. She is considered OP, and is probably going to receive some minor nerfs. Also, she complements the currently popular AOE-Press R to win teams, and generally she is always a good pick.

Janna is harder to master, but a team with a good janna does not die. Ever. Even if she has no items, her skillset allows her to support superbly. Her ult+cleanse is a hard counter to AOE teams, which is kind of rare (the only other is Gragas), so that makes her even more valuable.