Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Some questions by a new player

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tybalt Capulet

12-07-2009

So I'm new, right?

Well, I played DoTA, but I wasn't exceptional, and it's been a while.

I've been playing games against bots, and I think I'm getting decent with Ashe, though I'm sure that character is probably considered a cheap character, or something to that extent.

Should I keep playing bot games to get a better grasp, or would it be better if I played games against people?

What's the best ranged character?

What are the best items for a ranged character to start with?

With Ashe I found it necessary to get something that makes mana and something that increases your attack speed early on. I haven't dabbed much with the increases to HP. Does this sound like a stable method?

Does vampirism stack?

Guthrek

12-07-2009

your first batch of games in newbie island you can probably get away with stacking damage items, but against better players you Need to get some hp items. Go play real games or practice games with people, bot games are only useful to actually understand what all of your moves do, and they still don't teach you how to use them against players who have brains. The bots in this game are terrible.

"Best ranged character"?. probably corki or twisted fate, but every character is viable. Ashe is good, stick with ashe for a while. She's straightforward. Twitch absolutely dominates in low tier games. a key point to LoL over dota is that it's harder to carry in this game. There's more emphasis on team play, so don't try to go rambo because it probably won't work.

Get used to people calling you a feeder and a newb and swearing a whole bunch. You probably will be for the first few games, and while the LoL community is better than dota, it's still the interwebz. Go through the guides and strategy forum to find guides for the heroes you want to play, the item builds are invaluable when you're new.

p.s. welcome to LoL.

Guthrek

12-07-2009

Oh, yeah, anything that doesn't say "Unique" before it stacks. Orb effects are a thing of the past. You could get well over 100% lifesteal (although it would probably be really stupid).

Tybalt Capulet

12-07-2009

Thanks.

wildfire393

12-07-2009

Quote:
Tybalt Capulet:
So I'm new, right?

Well, I played DoTA, but I wasn't exceptional, and it's been a while.

I've been playing games against bots, and I think I'm getting decent with Ashe, though I'm sure that character is probably considered a cheap character, or something to that extent.

Should I keep playing bot games to get a better grasp, or would it be better if I played games against people?

What's the best ranged character?

What are the best items for a ranged character to start with?

With Ashe I found it necessary to get something that makes mana and something that increases your attack speed early on. I haven't dabbed much with the increases to HP. Does this sound like a stable method?

Does vampirism stack?

Playing against players is better, as it will teach you about getting ganked and strategies where characters do more than just stand in the middle of their lane and spam their abilities until they die.

The best Ranged DPS character is generally considered to be Corki. He can reveal stealth, has an AOE rapid fire attack that reduces armor, an escape mechanism, and great DPS output. Cardmaster is another good ranged character, but he's more of a Mage/Range than a pure range, as many build him AP.

Best items depend on character. For Ashe, a Meki Pendant is a decent bet to stay in lane longer, especially if you are too low of a summoner level to have MP regen runes or clarity. Boots are also a must. You probably eventually want to upgrade these items into a Chalice and Boots of Swiftness. After that, the two "required" items on Ashe are Last Whisper (attack damage, attack speed, and massive armor pen to increase your output) and Infinity Edge. After that, it's really up to you. Bloodthirster adds more damage than any single item in the game along with great lifesteal, which lets you win against other physical DPS champs. Black Cleaver shreds armor and adds a lot of damage, which is great against armor stackers. Stark's Fervor provides a bit of each (lifesteal and armor reduction) while losing its pure damage output for more attack speed. Likewise, Malady adds a lot of attack speed and stacking extra damage per hit with some lifeleech. Generally only a single lifeleech item is required (unless their team is like Corki/Ashe/Tryndamere/Master Yi/Tristiana or something), so play around with these and see which you like the best. Phantom Dancer adds further move speed, Crit Chance, and attack speed while providing a handy dodge chance (also good against Physical DPS champs). If you find yourself facing down a lot of magic users, Wit's End gives some Magic Resist as well as Mana Burn, and a good chunk of attack speed. If you're up against tanks who stack a lot of HP (Warmog's, Leviathan, etc, especially on someone like Mundo or Chogath), Madred's Bloodrazor is a good item for damage and attack speed.

Basically there are two basic builds for Ashe. Either you can stack items that do Attack Speed (Malady, Madred's Bloodrazor, Last Whisper, Wit's End, Infinity Edge, Boots, for example) and be in the thick of it the whole time, or you go hit-and-run, relying on massive damage crits to take someone out of the equation each time you duck into combat (an example of this build would be Infinity Edge, Bloodthirster, Black Cleaver, Sword of the Occult, Last Whisper, Boots) with the guaranteed crit on your first hit due to your passive. This also gives you a more powerful Volley for AOE damage, as the damage from volley is based on your base damage (which, with the above build, will be +300 with a fully stacked Bloodthirster and Sword of the Occult)

Vampirism does indeed stack, but it isn't considered a great strategy to do so, as your survivability depends entirely on being able to constantly attack. Against any champion capable of stunning, blinding, or otherwise stopping your attacks, you are in trouble.