Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Karthus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Serra

12-07-2009

He's an expensive champ so I rarely see him anymore...so I got him to be a bit different heh.

Anyone have any tips, etc.?

Lay waste takes some time to get used to...a lot of time.

I start with sapphire crystal/2 health pots.
--> Catalyst.
then Boots of Swiftness
then Tear

then I don't know...glacial shroud? rylais? kage's pick to deathfire?

Does ryalis go well with lay waste? I know there's the wall but the CD on that is pretty long.

I've also been maxing defile before lay waste.
So at lvl 6 I have 1 lay waste, 1 wall, 3 defile, 1 requiem.
The lay waste is weak but I'm full on mana and if they get greedy/I lane with a disable, then there can be a kill.

Anyway. Karthus: Discuss.

EnronTheGreat

12-08-2009

There are a few good Karthus guides out there to give you a good start. I can give you a few pointers as a lvl 30 karthas and former warcraft 3 high ranking solo player (although im having fun with Shaco atm)...

You might want to consider starting with dorans ring first. Although the dorans items are usually kind of nub you might think, it fits Karthus very well and can give him the lasting power to stay in the lane longer. Also i tend to pick up a Tear first before Catalyst. (This is in addition to starting out with loads of hp runes and a decent amount of -cooldown runes)

Second, you want to keep your lay waste on par with your defile. Lay waste is your bread and butter skill, with a co-dependance on defile to maintain mana efficiency/regen. I'ts going to be hard to get those kills with a lvl 1 waste. 1 rank of wall usually lasts me till i am forced to level it. After catalyst and boots ( i go sorc boots for the pen) i usually build a rod of ages or void depending on how the team is doing, then gear mainly for -cooldown and +ap.

Also, DO NOT WASTE YOUR ULT. Try to save it for those moments where killing someone is up to you. *i.e, not kill stealing*. Try to use your range to your advantage, only using defile if you absolutely need to. It just doesn't pay to get too close usually. Hope those help, and check out the guides! Happy hunting.

SwampZero

12-08-2009

Why would you even get any AP on Karthus?

It only has a 1:1 on your ulti, which is arguably the single worst thing about Karthus atm. All the rest are 0.25 or so.

Just build him in order to abuse his aoe damage. Like fiddle, only he can use it for way way longer.

RamboBatman

12-08-2009

Quote:
SwampZero:

It only has a 1:1 on your ulti, which is arguably the single worst thing about Karthus atm. All the rest are 0.25 or so.

Just build him in order to abuse his aoe damage. Like fiddle, only he can use it for way way longer.

If you're building him to abuse Defile you're going to need mana, and lots of it. Also, since you're willing moving into close range you're going to need some more HP. Sounds like RoA and Archangels Staff fit the bill and, coincidentally they both give AP. Also Voidstaff is probably a must-buy on Karthus as a couple of MR items can really gimp his damage.

Joru

12-08-2009

Quote:
SwampZero:

You're ignoring the fact that Lay Waste has a cooldown of one second. That means that spamming just Lay Waste applies 25% of your AP in damage per second per target, or 50% if you manage to hit only one target with every one. Annie, spamming both Disintegrate and Incinerate every cooldown, will deal 22.5% of her AP every second.

So even without touching Defile, Karthus has between a slightly and hugely better AP ratio than Annie at maximum possible skill, ultimates and for both notwithstanding.