[Question] Alistar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tryndabeard

12-07-2009

So, I've had this idea in my head for awhile, and have been bored recently. So I wanted to test it out. Did okay on the test realm verse bots, but then again..what doesn't?

The idea is instead of having Alistar go straight tank. Have him pick up some damage or attack speed items. Sorta like have him as an off tank, with more damage then he normally has. Can't really think of a good build to try, though.

Anyone have any ideas?

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2009

you should read the bulldozing with alistar guide on this forum by Doctor Awesome. Pretty much what you are looking for. It is IMO, the better way to play him this patch, but he just is not as good as other champions because he can not push as quickly or as hard as other characters and can still die quite easily if you don't build him to tank.
He has decent damage, but very slow attack speed even with a good item stack, his abilities do not do much to minions so he is hard to farm with. Otherwise yes, he hurts when he hits.

sdjaks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2009

Try picking up Nashor's Tooth, it's practically made for him, and really helps out his attack speed. It also works really well with Sheen because of Roar's reduced cd.

Gigarayzor

12-07-2009

Alistar's damage is pretty pathetic. That said, going pure tank makes him just stand around like a useless cow in most fights. I find you're best off either getting a lot of aura items to help your team (Aegis of Legion, Stark's Fervor, Innervating Locket, etc.) or gettting AP items to improve your heal and damage through your spells.

Necrax

12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryndabeard View Post
So, I've had this idea in my head for awhile, and have been bored recently. So I wanted to test it out. Did okay on the test realm verse bots, but then again..what doesn't?

The idea is instead of having Alistar go straight tank. Have him pick up some damage or attack speed items. Sorta like have him as an off tank, with more damage then he normally has. Can't really think of a good build to try, though.

Anyone have any ideas?
actually attack speed scales horribly for the money on alistar because of his extremely low base attack speed.

i've taken him as my main lately and my basic conclusion is this: give him mana, mana reg and cooldown reduction and he can be devastating.

my main 2 main items are chalice and frozen heart or even just glacial shroud. this gives you the mana, mana reg und cd reduction he needs. i often dont get anything else but boots.

i've also tried an alternative AP build on normal games and succeeded. his skills scale extremely well with AP and as long as you give him mana and mana reg it doesn't really matter what you do. the important thing is time your abilties correctly and you will be a decisive force in team battles.

i really love to play him...either ppl underestimate him or they fear him, both helps you a lot.

Slide

12-08-2009

As has been mentioned, due to his extremely low base attack speed, +atkspd% items arent worth their weight in gold.

If you want to play Alistar you just need to get used to the idea that you are not a killer. Your main jobs are to tank, set up kills for your teamates, and save your carries who have a high bounty.

Ive rece3ntly realised that people dont understand that last part. Allow me to explain as it is essential to a good Alistar.

As Alistar, most of the time you will be getting assists, not kills. This is good, you are not a carry and can do well with a small ammount of gold. Your carry is better of with the extra money. This means you do not rack up a bounty. Between no bounty and your ult, stun, headbutt, cleanse and ghost you are the PERFECT candidate to save your teamates. If you can keep your carry, who has a 1000g bounty, from dieing and die in his place (or even get away considering the tools available to you), youve just done a VERY good thing for your team. It is an essential part of playing Alistar.

As far as items, my build is chalice, ninja tabi, sheen. Thats it. Its pretty much all you need too. In games I do normally get to a 4th item, but it is usually completely dependant on the other teams makeup. Either force of nature or frozen heart. These items allow you to do your job without costing an arm and a leg.

What Alistar does:

Set up kills.
Pulverize->Heabutt is probably the best set up in the game for a kill. Make use of it. Ghost comes in handy here as well. It helps a lot in positioning as you have no collision so its a shorter route to behind the enemy champ. It can also be used to chase to get those couple last hits in. Very effective early game as you can take a couple hits from a tower and still get out with ghost on.

This is your number one priority. You should lane with a carry and feed them kills. Most games you shuold be able to feed your carry 3-5 kills before level 6. Make sure not to KS them. You can subsist on assist gold, your carry cant.

Tank/Save Allies
The first part is pretty self explanatory. You have a large health pool naturally, you heal, you stun and you headbut. All of these are great abilities for tanking and playing around in 5on5's. With cleanse and ghost, even if things go badly, you have a really good chance of getting away.

Saving allies is more complicated. I outlined the generl Idea of why you should do it, but how can get pretty complicated. The general rule is, chances are, its better to save someone else. If your playing well, you will have no bounty on you (as your only getting assists) and can afford to die. What I generally do is lead with headbutt to get in fast and knock back teh closest chaser to your ally. This will generally get the enemies o focus on you. If its 5 of them, youll need to pop ult or cleanse to rid yourself of the CC. If not, just pulverize the lot of them. While they are stunned, you run. If you havnt used your ult or cleanse, this is mopst likely where you will have to. Pop one or both depending on the amount of CC, pop ghost and laugh all the way back to the fountain.

Aside from that, headbutt by itself can save a lot of your teamates. Always be on the lookout for the save. Its important, but it will make your teamates love you. Which, can be better in the end.

Destroy Towers/Push Lanes
Your last job. The fact that your are naturaly tanky coupled with a chalice and tabi and your heal makes it very easy to ignore harrassement and concentrate on pushing the lane. Heal also keeps your creep wave alive. This allows you to get to towers with a very large creep wave. Activate your ult (+ flat damage) hit the tower with your sheen bonus (should be around 200 damage), pop heal, attack with your sheen bonus (again 200 damage) pulverize the enemy creep wave, attack the tower with your sheen bonus (anothe 200), heal is up again, pop that and attack with your sheen bonus (again, another 200), youll then get one normal attack in before your ult wares off. That was nearly 1000 damage youve done in the space of your ult. Pretty decent for someone who attacks as slow as molases.

In Any case, aside from those 3 things, Alistar doesnt do much. If you cant find satisfaction with these, Id suggest switching champions. No matter what build you try, someone else on your team will be far more effective with the gold from the kills. Dont gimp your team by taking them. Alistar is a team player above all else. Learn to love it.

nicosharp

12-08-2009

To piggy back on what quickslide said - I completely agree with Alistar's role in games now. However, I would suggest a different Item build if you want to go full support.
1- Mana Manip
2- Boots --> Mercury Treads
3- Soul Shroud from manip
4- Glacial Stone --> Frozen Heart
5- Aegis/additional mana regen (tear of goddess works well as does chalice)

Masteries
0/9/21 - XP Gain, cause its essential, Movement speed, cause its ' ', and you need greed! You will want a point in clarity, and a point in ghostwalk. (You don't need evasion in defense, just get 3 in magic armor, and 3 in armor, then 3 in improved regen)

Runes
You want to focus on armor and mana regen. The Quints should be of Avarice - You need every penny.
(If you don't have blue clarity runes which i totally suggest you get, this build might not be for you, as Chalice is just great on a low mana alistar.)

This build is quite attainable in a 25minute game, and the cooldown reduction and team support power that you provide is where you shine. The HP and armor from the items is a nice bonus.
With the Soul Shroud you will be at 20% cooldown reduction. Your lanemate is free to spam skills (provided they use mana), and you can be there to keep them up with mana manip and clarity.

Pay close attention to what your team is picking hero wise, Alistar fills a small niche in the game now, and can not be the teams only tank. If you lack dps, pushing power, or a solid tank initiator (like Singed/Malphite), I would suggest you do not pick Alistar.

IMO Alistar's best lanemate is Sivir.

Cryohazard

12-08-2009

I find that any champion with a good ranged snare or stun goes really well with Alistar in laning, because it gives you leeway to go in and hit them with the pulverize.

The key for item builds is cooldown reduction. Alistar's autoattack is so incredibly slow that it aint doing **** to enemy champs without Sheen procs. In fact, you can forget dealing damage altogether excluding the one-two. So the key is to spam those skills as much as possible- so you need a good mana pool, and as close to max cooldown reduction as you can cram on. Frozen Heart is perfect, it's practically made for Alistar. Deathfire Grasp is a bit gimmicky, but it's certainly nice to have since Alistar doesn't have many options for offense. Atma's Impaler is also a bit of a gimmicky choice, but you'll be tanking it up, so that + Sheen will really, REALLY hurt. Let's say you end up with 200 base damage (w/ Atma's), Deathfire Grasp, and Sheen. Deathfire for -25%. Pulverize, that's 300+ (depending on AP). Sheen proc, 400. Headbutt, another 300+. One more Sheen proc on the way back, another 400. And with good cooldown reduction, you can SPAM this (minus deathfire) whenever they allow you in range. They will be TERRIFIED of you, because not only is this a mean burst, you're practically made of steel, and you've just punted them into your carry. With your ult, you can just stroll in next to a tower, tank an entire team and the tower at the same time, Cleanse off any CC, burst on whoever's dumb enough to get close, and... well, you get the idea.

That's how you play Alistar aggressively. Attack speed fails miserably.