[Guide] Twisted Fate(TF), The Card Reader

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

luyiaK

12-07-2009

This is my first guide.

Before you read on any further, LEARN TO GOLD CARD any LEGIT TF can Gold Card 9/10 because it plays a vital role to becoming a efficient Twisted Fate.
For those who don't know the pattern its BLUE -> RED -> GOLD (REPEAT). Also before each card changes to the next one it shrinks then becomes the next card, so be ready to press "W" when you see the RED CARD begin to shrink.

Also, always remember to communicate with your teammates or your attempts to gank will probably fail(As with every other champion though).

Background Information(My POV):

In my opinion, Twisted Fate is not AS effective if he is soloing a lane. He is more of a point guard; he dishes out assist while maintaining to rack up some points and executes the offense. With that said, pair up with another champion that possibly has another stun or slow. Also like a good point guard you must have court vision, in otherwords keep your eyes on the map so you know whats going on in the other lanes so you or your team can get a easy kill with a easily executed gank by Gate'ing in or help them flee by using destiny. Remember TF is a squishy and good teams will target him first, so keep your distance while staying in the fight. For instance, in a team fight you lay down stuns on their dps(usually squishies) while laying down some dps of your own. If you noticed you are getting attacked fall back while picking a card and rejoin the fight or flee depending on the situation.

Runes:

Its really up to you, but I have Mana Regen Runes and Crit Runes(to play off his passive).

Spell Set:

Wild Cards (Q) (Active): Twisted Fate fires 3 cards forward in front of Twisted Fate in a narrow cone, damaging everything in their way and passing through targets.
- Primary choice of harassment early game due to range and great deal of damage, but it is not as useful late game

Pick A Card (W) (Active): Random cards flash over Twisted Fate's head one at a time - blue, then red, then gold. When he uses the ability again, he picks the current card over his head, and the card picked gives a special effect to the attack. Blue causes bonus damage and let's you pick another card. Red causes area of effect slow and bonus damage. Gold (which is the hardest to trigger) causes area of effect stun and bonus damage.

- Best used to initiate ganks, chase, and as well as fleeing.
*IMPORTANT: Try to keep your opponent from knowing you are using Pick A Card by using the brush, because a Gold Card will usually cause the opponent to flee after seeing you get it.

Gate (E) (Active): Twisted Fate opens a portal in time that allows him to teleport to any location on the map and makes the area visible before transporting there. It has a delay of 3 seconds and it can be instant if Destiny is active and a Afected Champion Enemy is in a Location Nearby.
- Best used when you place your Gate in bushes along the river or in your/their jungle, because if you place the Gate in the main lane brush you will be heard/scene

Destiny (R) (Active): Twisted Fate views the Destiny of all his opponents for a short duration. All enemies on the map are revealed and slowed for that duration.
- Like Pick A Card it is best used to initiate ganks, chase, and fleeing.
Second Sight (Passive): Twisted Fate grants the Second Sight to his allies, increasing their chance to critically hit with basic attacks.

Summoner Spells:
Regardless of any scenario I found that Exhaust and Flash are the best when used with Twisted Fate.
Flash: Can be used to flee, initiate a gank, or to chase. For instance, in the brush you have a Gold Card but opponent is slightly out of reach, Flash behind him then stun.
Exhaust: Can be used to flee, or chase. I never use it to initiate a gank because of the Gold Card. Exhaust is best used after your Gold Card stun fades so by the time exhaust runes out you will have another Gold Card up.

Order of skills:

1. Pick A Card or Wild Cards (Depending on the opposing team, BUT USUALLY GO PICK A CARD)
2. Wild Cards or Pick A Card
3. Wild Cards or Gate (Depending how bad you are getting harassed and how many potions you have left)
4. Wild Cards or Gate (If you got Gate at 3, go Wild Cards. But if you went Wild Cards, go Gate) *This will let you go to shop and gateway in without losing much experience.
5. Wild Cards
6. Destiny
7. Pick A Card
8. Wild Cards
9. Wild Cards
10. Pick A Card
11. Destiny
12. Pick A Card
13. Pick A Card
14. Gate
15. Gate
16. Destiny
17. Gate
18. Gate

Items(In order from early-late game):
*Depending on money

This build well help for survivability and team gameplay. You will have more health with Frozen Mallet and also be able to slow so the fleeing enemy won't be able to escape.

1. Meki Pendant + 1 mana pot + 1 health pot
2. Boots or Beserker Greaves*
3. Beserker Greaves or Dagger
4. Brawler Gloves or Zeal*
5. Chalice or Ruby of Health*
6. Belt of Giant or Phage*
7. Long Sword or Frozen Mallet*
The rest is up to you, but here are a few choices
8. Last Whisper or Phantdom Dancer

Early Game(IMPORTANT):

Early game is vital in TF gameplay, due to his spell set most of his kills are going to be early game rather than late(But dont complain if you get KS'd it"s a team game). Also this is the only time where you will actually be in a lane consistently.

Never go middle lane, because there is no brush for you to hide your Pick A Card spell. Always go top or bottom. Decide who your lane partner will be before the game and tell them to rush with you to the brush closest to your enemies side. Buy your items quickly as possible along with your partner and establish lane dominance as early as possible. This will allow you to Pick A Card without the opponent knowing which card you have chose and scaring your opponent. Also establishing lane dominance will let you Gate away from your lane to gank another, because your opponent will still think you are there and will not relay the information to their team(Remember: They can hear and see the cards when you Gate so try to estimate where their fog is).

Fun Tip:

You can pressure the opponent to hug a tower by coming around to the jungle closest to the tower by using Wild Cards. I advise to do this if the opponent is lower than half health because you will cut them off from running back to base or delay them from recalling due to Wild Cards range which is pretty funny.

Mid Game:

You should be moving all over the map, because as TF you should be helping your team gank, defend or push a lane. Make sure you aren't falling behind in levels due to your mobility. You should still be able to get kills but may be a little more difficult than early game, its normal.

Late Game:

Doing the same thing, but becoming more of an assist *****.

Summary:

Be a team player, don't cry if you don't get kills, play smart, harass, and get gold cards.

If I left something out please point it out and also constructive criticism is always welcome.

Casse

12-07-2009

If you'd rather get kills then assist use an AP build. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and to be an good Twisted Fate you really need to have two different builds. One for come from behind victories and another for rolling wins.

Noviate

12-07-2009

I love AP build! if you are solo, Pure AP. If you are the same level as your opponents, cooldown + AP. If you are lower level than your opponents, stick in a lane and stop gating around :P

luyiaK

12-07-2009

I believe the AP doesnt ratio well with his skill set, but thats what I think. I would rather have more wins than less kills than anything else. I have played against a few AP build TFs and they dont really stand up well in team fights. I play with premades mostly, thats why I love this build.

Noviate

12-07-2009

uhhh... AP build is MADE for team fights. getting into reg card throw range for extended periods of time is death for TF. staying in the outskirts with wildcards and going in once in a while with gold cards is where TF wins out in team fights. AP allows you to go in and out with your damage rather than going in and staying in

thegamenet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-07-2009

nice guide man - I added it into www.thelolwiki.com

luyiaK

12-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noviate View Post
uhhh... AP build is MADE for team fights. getting into reg card throw range for extended periods of time is death for TF. staying in the outskirts with wildcards and going in once in a while with gold cards is where TF wins out in team fights. AP allows you to go in and out with your damage rather than going in and staying in
I guess I can see your point with the AP build. But you should give my survivability/support build a shot. I've done AP builds just wasn't me. Thanks for your input

thegamenet: Thanks bro

Sorano

12-07-2009

Do competitives Twisted Fate player master "Pick A Card" so perfectly that they always land on gold card?

This guide as been a huge help. Thanks a lot. I'm aware that a lot of people call Twisted Fate OP but I see in actual play that mastering Pick A Card takes some serious skill and good timing, therefore in my eyes balancing it out.

Raionh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-07-2009

omg this guide is so beast. makes me want to play twisted fate, FOREVER.

luyiaK

12-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorano View Post
Do competitives Twisted Fate player master "Pick A Card" so perfectly that they always land on gold card?

This guide as been a huge help. Thanks a lot. I'm aware that a lot of people call Twisted Fate OP but I see in actual play that mastering Pick A Card takes some serious skill and good timing, therefore in my eyes balancing it out.
Not sure about always landing a gold card if they do, they must be Jesus. But yeah, I totally agree with you about its hard to time the gold card especially when your opponents are putting the pressure on you :P.