Religion/Cults in LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sylph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

11-09-2010

There are forces that are developing outside of the Institution of War that might have certain roles to fill in the future events on Runeterra. I also can't wait to see how ancient sects such as the Black Rose reemerge from the Shadows of Noxus; to see what they have planned for the League is rather intriguing.

Sapphyrite

11-09-2010

I think Riot is doing a very wise decision on keeping religion away, since it's always a walking bomb. People can get offended far too easily and oversuspect over everything, so better be safe than sorry. (Remember the Al'Zahar crisis?)

Also, about Malzahar, I think Icathia venerated the Void beings (a la Nameless City, Lovecraft?) and Malzahar has been called Prophet using the wider meaning, i.e. someone with the gift of Prophecy. Connection to a deity -could- be explained by his link to the Void, but I think it's just referring to his ability.

After all, we have seen a ...loose vocabulary usage in the past (Prodigal, anyone?)

Sylph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

11-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphyrite View Post
I think Riot is doing a very wise decision on keeping religion away, since it's always a walking bomb. People can get offended far too easily and oversuspect over everything, so better be safe than sorry. (Remember the Al'Zahar crisis?)
That was more of a naming convention if I remember correctly? We aren't talking about including real life religion in League of Legends - all of this is fictional content after all.

Novgorod

11-09-2010

No, I think one can make reference to religion and cults without insulting anybody, it's been done fairly often in other games and novels. Just don't use any of the same names nor any of the same ritualistic meanings. If you avoid that, you're fine.

Sapphyrite

11-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph1 View Post
That was more of a naming convention if I remember correctly? We aren't talking about including real life religion in League of Legends - all of this is fictional content after all.
You are correct, but Malzahar is a fictional character too. And thankfully it wasn't Zilean they were naming, or imagine the hellfires...(Bombing character named Al'Zahar! Riot is a terrorist den111!!!ONE)

Anyway, you certainly know the cesspole of raging hormone kids that make out the majority of the playerbase, and an excessive reaction wouldn't surprise me (see the complaints about the JoJ too).

EDIT - Let me express myself clearly: while I do like the introduction of some religious belief in Valoran, along with interesting characters, I'm pretty jaded about the community reactions that could come out, so I think it's better to be safe than sorry on that =|

Novgorod

11-09-2010

I can completely understand your hesitation but I think it should perhaps be tested. If the reaction is too negative, the concept could be altered. I think it warrants at least a try.

Sylph

Emissary of the League

11-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphyrite View Post
You are correct, but Malzahar is a fictional character too. And thankfully it wasn't Zilean they were naming, or imagine the hellfires...(Bombing character named Al'Zahar! Riot is a terrorist den111!!!ONE)

Anyway, you certainly know the cesspole of raging hormone kids that make out the majority of the playerbase, and an excessive reaction wouldn't surprise me (see the complaints about the JoJ too).

EDIT - Let me express myself clearly: while I do like the introduction of some religious belief in Valoran, along with interesting characters, I'm pretty jaded about the community reactions that could come out, so I think it's better to be safe than sorry on that =|
Indeed, at times the immature community does show its colors. Maybe they can keep things how they are and describe them as alternative sources of power and influence. Staying away from the word religion is completely possible while alluding to forces that continue to compel champions / city-states. Different virtues can describe a number of behaviors and actions.

Novgorod

11-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph1 View Post
Indeed, at times the immature community does show its colors. Maybe they can keep things how they are and describe them as alternative sources of power and influence. Staying away from the word religion is completely possible while alluding to forces that continue to compel champions / city-states. Different virtues can describe a number of behaviors and actions.
That too

Novgorod

11-09-2010

I'd be curious to hear the opinion from the people working at Riot. Has the idea ever come up and been deliberately avoided or has it simply been put aside while you guys were working on other concepts?

MYRealSlimShady

11-05-2011

Religious refferences in LoL =

Kayle and Morgana = Michael and Lucifer

Nasus and Renekton = Anubis and Sobek

Olaf's ultimate is Ragnarok

Urf's "W" is Poseidon or King Neptune revealing an area on the map , hence it's like Clairevoyence.

Ionia is clearly Buddhist Jain or Taoist , highly doubt it has Shinto or Ancient Chinese religion , people think Karma is a freemason for having a title called "The Enlightened one" but it's a term that referrences Nirvana.

Blackrose, (speculate that either craziest **** happens there which Veigar wishes and Vayne is to this club how Kassadin is to the Void)

The Grey Order (probably a non-evil version of the blackrose, lead by Annie's Parents who are exhiled Noxian mages living the the voodoo lands, piratically Annies Parents and The Black Rose do pratically the same thing exception where the one is harms people while the other doesnt)

Icathia (Kassadin's lore said the city had idols, hinting that Icathians worshiped Voidling, i dont know)

Cancelled Champions :

Tabu the Voodoo Shaman.(Voodoo)

Well the Hydrosoul (Part of an aquatic cult where he threw bodies of people and drowned them in water an then died. He was turned by powerful aquatic beings into a water mage.)

Rob Blackblade ( A character referenced in the story of Siddartha Guatama where he wanted to kill the him , aka kill Buddha.)