Religion/Cults in LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Novgorod

11-09-2010

Out of simple curiosity, are there any? I think the only reference I might have seen is with Vlad's time as a monk when he was learning his powers. I find it quite strange to have a world that seems to be getting more and more developed without having any sort of cult or major religion, just as a huge cultural factor. I'd be interested in seeing a character from such a background, like some super zealous Inquisitor or Templar.

Any thoughts people?

Sylph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

11-09-2010

That would add more depth into the existing League storyline

Novgorod

11-09-2010

That's what I'm thinking. It doesn't necesarilly have to be one of the main cities we've seen up to now, like Demacia or Noxus but maybe one of the lands that hasn't been touched so much yet, such as the Shadow Isles.

The Shadow Isles seem to be a pretty miserably cursed land. I could imagine a pocket of resistance that's stringent on purging all the corruption that's present there, an oppressed cult when the balance of power shifted to the darker side of things (Mordekaiser and Eve are from the Shadow Isles if I recall correctly)

or

It could be in Urtistan, just on the other side of the great barrier, some type of hermit or monk that dwells there.

Munchlord

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novgorod View Post
It could be in Urtistan, just on the other side of the great barrier, some type of hermit or monk that dwells there.
Like Zilean?

Malzahar is the -Prophet- of the void. That implies that there is a religious context for the whole void deal. Aside from that, Demacians regard their laws and standards and the measured thread with what resembles religious zeal.

Sylph

Emissary of the League

11-09-2010

I think that if there were certain deities added in which the champions would align themselves with; or perhaps ones that city-states would follow... I don't know much about the Shadow Isles outside of what is discussed within Champion Lore.

Sounds like an interesting place.

Sylph

Emissary of the League

11-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchlord View Post
Like Zilean?

Malzahar is the -Prophet- of the void. That implies that there is a religious context for the whole void deal. Aside from that, Demacians regard their laws and standards and the measured thread with what resembles religious zeal.
Good point Munch. And I suppose that Noxus is more of the militaristic city-state; currently... although there are inner sects that are rumored to exist deep within the core of the city-state - such as the Black Rose as introduced by LeBlanc's Lore.

Novgorod

11-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchlord View Post
Like Zilean?

I had completely forgotten about the prophet bit. You make a pretty good point. I'd like to see that idea expanded though, the origins behind it perhaps.

Novgorod

11-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph1 View Post
Good point Munch. And I suppose that Noxus is more of the militaristic city-state; currently... although there are inner sects that are rumored to exist deep within the core of the city-state - such as the Black Rose as introduced by LeBlanc's Lore.
Yeah, inner sects within the city-states would be great. Dissidents in Demacia or an oppressed power in Noxus, a vestige of Icathian religion would be nice too. I could easily see some sort of fused Hex-Tech modification cult in Zaun also.

Sylph

Emissary of the League

11-09-2010

It is interesting to say the least that there are powers out there that even rival the High Summoners of the Institution of War. Champions like Swain and LeBlanc have displayed significant control over their Judgements. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the creative minds have in store for League fans.

Novgorod

11-09-2010

I completely agree. My interest is to definitely see a champion come from such a background, especially since faction characters seem to be a trend these days.