Why Are Wards Important?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CollideY

04-08-2013

Ive only been playing LoL for a couple months, and I just recently started playing ranked. I feel like I do pretty well, but I know there are things I could improve on. I started out in Silver after my placement games. Im trying to advance, so Im trying to find things I could be doing better. Something I see mentioned all the time is wards. I have often heard the phrase wards win games. I simply see no use for them though outside of wards for baron and dragon.

During the laning phase, wards seem to primarily be to avoid being ganked by jungle. I play Swain, either mid or top, exclusively. This is an area Im trying to work on as I know dodging when I dont get mid or top hurts my ranking. I just dont feel strong enough with any other champ at this point. At any rate, with Swain I have a slow, snare, and flash. Also, I dont use my abilities to last hit, and Im good about freezing my lane just outside of my tower. As such very rarely are gank attempts successful against me. Since I have no worries about being ganked, why should I ward?

I have tried warding. I dont like that wards only last 3 minutes though. It doesnt seem like enough time to be useful. Warding the bushes seems like a waste. I have tried warding enemy wraiths to try and counter jungle, but in instances where my lane does get pushed to the enemy tower it seems much more beneficial to help out the other lanes as my slow and snare make ganking easy.

After the laning phase it gets into team fighting which is all about objectives like tower and dragon/baron. There is no sight to dragon/baron, so those need wards. If they arent warded, and I b, then I will pick one up for that. It isnt hard to tell which tower is vulnerable to attack. The enemy always follows the minions. If there is a large wave of minions heading to one of your towers then you should defend that one.

Im not trying to say that wards are bad or that people shouldnt ward. Honestly with everything I see to the contrary I have to believe that I am simply missing something. And since I am always looking for ways to improve, I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me.

Mogs01gt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-08-2013

I think the correct question is, "is having poor visilibity good?"

Ballzofire

04-08-2013

Well lemme pick your brain on this. While you may not need to ward to save yourself. What about warding the enemy jungle entrance to help your jungler/team know where the enemy is. This helps prevent counterjungling, and brings about free kills from anyone foolish enough to enter your jungle early. Also what about mid/late game. When a single death can result in multiple lost turrets. Enemies sitting in bushes can cause massive damage instantly when no previous knowledge of their presence is available. Wards not only save lives. They end the enemies lives. Vision of a bush during a teamfight can allow the adc to plink away with vision the enemy may not have. Thus dead enemies.

This may help anything i didnt enlighten you on.
http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/ga...-warding.xhtml

Hf and gl improving man!

C9 SingSing

04-08-2013

Knowing where the enemy team is at all times is essential, especially if your team is behind. You're not just warding for yourself, you're warding for your team. If you're playing mid Swain and you're freezing your lane near your turret, that means the enemy mid laner can easily roam into the jungle, top, or bot and cause something to happen. Having wards set up in positions along the river can prevents things like this. Swain is not the greatest roamer, so you have to push your lane in these situations or follow them.

djjomon

04-08-2013

If you feel you don't need them during laning phase, be sure to call mia. But, definitely get wards for mid/ late game. If you're pushing their towers, ward nearby so they can't gank via their jungle. At the same time, ward your jungle to keep your buffs safe, and yourself safe if they're roaming.

ALEXKOND

04-08-2013

Watch a ranked game with full visibility (you see waht both teams see). In some plays you will be like "omg it was so obvious, why you were ganked?" Or "Dude go left no right!!"

Then watch it again but only with blue or purple visibility. They never could knew.

Well placed wards is like playing in dominion, you see them almost everytime, use that to your advantage

Berthkgar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-08-2013

When I play top or jungle, I'm constantly buying wards. If I'm top, I'm placing them in tri-bush and in the near near baron/blue buff. If I'm jungling, I place them where I need them. That means I place them in my jungle if I'm getting invaded heavily, or in their jungle so we know where their jungler is. Or at main objectives if my teammates aren't warding properly/effectively. This has allowed me to win so many games that it's ridiculous... at least, in normals. I'm at +60 wins in normals.

Leprekan

04-08-2013

If your champ and/or playstyle allows you to avoid almost all ganks then at least buy wards mid/late game when the enemy team roams in at least pairs. Also, there will still be instances where you'll get ganked and die or at least have to recall, losing out on exp and gold. Wards will help against that.

Jericho Hombre

04-08-2013

The thing that people don't like is wasting money on something that only lasts for 3 minutes, but 75 gold isn't that big. It's approximately 3 minions for the cost of vision for 3 minutes. If you ward your bushes, you can see the opposing jungler. If you don't need it (you may not yet but as you get better you will) it still benefits the other 4 players. Keeping track of their jungler allows your lanes safety to make plays. If you ward your top bush and see the jungler come down to gank you, change his mind and then head upwards it tells your bot lane that they're safe to push for a minute or two. If they get their tower down earlier because of it that'll benefit your whole team.

Gandr Adderbane

04-08-2013

Warding the enemy blue buff around 6:30 into the game can give you an opprotunity to steal it, which is very nice. Also, warding the bushes on either side of mid lane will give you advanced warning when someone tries to gank, and occasionally lets YOU ambush THEM instead.

Plus, it can help keep track of their jungler's movements, which is very useful to your jungler.