Let's Talk Supports

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gaurdian Angel

04-07-2013

Support main here, and there i'm looking for some community feedback because, well I'm curious to see how other players do what i do. Let's get started with the questions shall we? (feel free to skip questions or give half-ass answers haha)

Who is your Main support?

Who the the best support overall right now?

Who is the most fun support overall right now?

Masteries:
0/21/9 or 0/9/21? Other? Why did you choose this setup?

Summoners:
we all know flash/exhaust is standard meta, what else do you consider taking, and when?

Warding:
What do you look for to know it's time to go out and ward mid/late game? What tactics do you use to prevent yourself and your team from getting caught?

Pinks or oracles? What makes you buy either over sight wards?

Builds:
What items are the strongest right now? What is your standard build, and what circumstances cause you to add different items?

Meta:
Who are the strongest lane duos right now? (ex:// leo/ez, taric/draven, ali/vayne)

Do you feel there is a disparity between support tanks and traditional utility supports in the current meta? Or at least in solo que?

How do you deal with being bullied by a stronger lane?

Lastly, what changes would you like to see in the support field to balance out or diversify the current meta bot lane?

(will post my answers in the thread)

VelSinte

04-07-2013

Leona

Probably Taric. He's tanky, he has an easy stun, has a heal and auras. He's kind of broken, lol. Really strong right now.

For me probably Lulu. Her kit is versatile and just...quite fun, imo. Haha.

Masteries:

0/9/21. The new utility tree provides so much it's hard to pass up on, really, but it depends on the support I'm going. However I use mastery tree's like 1/13/16 as well..

Summoners:
we all know flash/exhaust is standard meta, what else do you consider taking, and when?

I've considered Clairvoyance just for that little bit of extra information early game but I go with flash/exhaust all the time.

Warding:
What do you look for to know it's time to go out and ward mid/late game? What tactics do you use to prevent yourself and your team from getting caught?

I go out when I can see the enemy team or know that they're at base, buying. But mostly I just go ward really quickly and Shurelyas my ass out of there. LOL. Or grab someone to go with me.

Pinks. Oracles got nerfed too hard imo. I pink major ward spots but nty, I don't trust myself to keep oracles with me, esp now with the 5 min time.

Builds:
What items are the strongest right now? What is your standard build, and what circumstances cause you to add different items?

Standard build for Leona includes Aegis first and I grab Locket of the Iron Solari. Always have ruby sightstone. They are my cores. I get Shurelyas later and maybe Crucible if there's heavy cc so I can protect my adc better. Also Captain boots since I'm mostly the one initiating so I want my team to follow up faster.

Meta:
Who are the strongest lane duos right now? (ex:// leo/ez, taric/draven, ali/vayne)

Taric and anyone. I don't know. Sometimes I go Janna/Draven >> And Caitlyn/Nami and Vayne/Leo.

Do you feel there is a disparity between support tanks and traditional utility supports in the current meta? Or at least in solo que?

NO OPINION SRY.

Tell the adc is stay by the turret and prepare to make the plays when the enemy team gets bored and dives.

Lastly, what changes would you like to see in the support field to balance out or diversify the current meta bot lane?

Also no particular opinion on this. Everything seems okay for me right now. :P

Gaurdian Angel

04-07-2013

Thresh
Thresh is a little broken, I don't think there is much riot can do to balance such a crazy kit either.
I would have to say Nami. Her Q is satisfying, Her E is useful, and her whole kit, especially her ult is just plain cool.

Masteries:
I run 0/21/9 on almost every champion. I've found in silver division you need to play exceptionally aggressive and you spend a lot of time, trading, initiating, and front lining for your adc, especially in lane. Also, enemy supports are typically very aggressive and will look to initiate on you. I miss the utility my masteries, but since I've made the switch, I have survived literally hundreds of encounters with <50 hp. Which i attribute to my masteries. I still run utility sets when my adc and I plan ahead to play passively, the gold generations pays off huge in an uneventful lane.

Summoners:
-Heal on rare occasions where I feel i wont be able to get an exhaust down, we already have exhausts on the comp, or I see the need to dive/or bait. I also feel like heal brings a lot to the table in teamfights.
-CV on soraka. Sora is easy to pick on when she goes to ward, and having so natural escapes makes her extremely easy to catch out. Intelligent use of CV reveals important objectives, prevents you from being caught, and can save you other lanes from incoming ganks. It can also get you kills in fights/chases near/in bushes.
-Cleanse vs taric is rare instances where I am really worried about tower dives or losing lane hard.
-Ghost vs bruiser heavy teams. Let's face it, one flash is rarely enough to get away from a jax/irelia/lee sin/renekton/ etc. Ghost is also great for chasing down the enemy team and re-initiating a fight if you haven't built mobility boots.

Warding:
I look for enemy team position, my team position, and my current ward timers. I tend to ward around the area my team is in at a given time, so i have a degree of protection from being caught out. If i know the other team is dragon and we arent going to contest, I know I have a good opportunity to go ward baron and upper jungle. (defensibly or offensively depending on how the game is going)

Pinks are important for standing control of key vision areas: namely wraiths jungle entrance, buffs, baron, and dragon. I typically do not buy many in lane unless I see the need, or the enemy support is forcing me to. I Buy oracles to play Extremely defensibly, extremely offensively, or to control a heavily warded area such as bot lane, baron, or anywhere a teemo has been.

Builds:

Strong items: Bulwark, sightstone, philo, boots of mobility
My standard build: Philo, Sightstone, kage's(if utility support), boots (mercs or mobies), bulwark >zekes or shurelyas
Certain AP comps will make me replace zekes with WOTA, certain comps lacking initiation will make me rush shurelyas, my jungler building early bulwark may lead to a sunfire, frozen heart, or even abyssal scepter. For the most part my build stays pretty standard though.

Meta:
Thresh/anyone
ezreal/leona
mf/zyra
taric/varus
nunu/cait
sona/cait

I do feel like support tanks typically bring a lot more to the table right now, especially in lane. The big CC tanks like thresh/taric/leona set up kills, bully enemy adcs, and tank/peel extremely well.

Sit back under turret and look for them to make a mistake and over-commit or step out of position, then strike. Alternatively, i often try to poke them down, opening more opportunities to catch them out of position.

-Thresh utility needs to be nerfed a bit, he is too broken. A nerf to his shield, at least it's cool-down seems fair. Additionally, adjusting his soul collection to prevent him from snowballing lanes he is in control of is fair as well. A quality of life upgrade on the way his E works would be nice as well.
-I'd like to see Janna's shield returned to it's old glory and the ap on her ult scaled up a tiny bit to reward players for taking risks and building AP over defensiveness aura items.
-I'd like to see Nami's Q cast a bit faster, and her E's duration increased at higher levels.
-return of soul shroud and leviathan, as well as an attk speed aura item.
-cooldown reduction added to the crucible. Right now it's just such a niche item with a long cooldown and a high price for very little stats out side of the item active.
-more psudeo-defensive options added to the utility kit

That's all for me!

Vorthox

04-07-2013

I use Soraka, and Leona equally. Very dependent on my adc, and whether or not we're counter picking

Leona, even in the tips sections on how to play against her it's all about gtfo! A good Lulu player is pretty scary though.

Leona's always fun, the ability to lock the lane down is just fun. Having an adc with a slow (like MF) really helps too! Fiddle support is fun also

Masteries:
0/9/21 the utility provided is pretty good. If I'm playing a passive lane I'd rather have the utility than the defense. Playing as Leona I max W first, atuo tanky.

Summoners:
I always run flash exhaust.

Warding:

I always do my best to keep objectives, and jungle ents warded toward the mid and late game. Warding our jungle if we're on the back foot is a must to stop from getting caught. When people start grouping up, and forcing fights I make sure to keep up on objectives that much more.

Pinks early game, oracles mid/late. I always pink to make things easier on my jungler. An unwarded lane is a lane that's hesitant to push.

Builds:
What items are the strongest right now? What is your standard build, and what circumstances cause you to add different items? Bulwark and Philo are always gonna be part of my build. Boots change, tabi for Leona, lucidity for Raka. Zeke's is a great item to have also. Don't ever forget the locket.

Meta:
Personally, I feel that things are balanced for the most part. Depends on how well the adc and support work together, know their champions, and their awareness. I don't like supporting Kog, or Ashe, but love supporting Sivir, Cait, Draven, and Varus.

Again, that's up to the players. I've seen tanky supports explode, and 'traditional utility' supports get bullied. It's all how you play.

I won't be as aggressive as Leona, as Soraka it's usually passive anyway. Having my adc not go crazy, and focus on last hitting rather than harass helps too. Hanging back isn't always a bad thing.

I like the way it is, nothing really comes to mind on positive changes.

SupportOrWillAFK

04-07-2013

Sona/Taric. I need to practice Lulu and Thresh. It's on my to do list.

Sona/Thresh. Sona for her ult and sustain, and Thresh 'cause his play making ability is strong enough that he gets banned.

Lulu's kit is interesting, and I love Leona's aggressiveness.

Masteries:

9/21 on any sustain ranged champion but Thresh. They can afford to build a little less tanky. The rest I go 21/9 because the champions all require you to go in deep and every bit of durability helps.

Summoners:

Ignite if I want it to be a kill lane (Thresh ignite/Lulu generally). Sometimes heal if its a passive lane and we want to shutdown any possible aggressiveness.

Warding:

Generally I use my sight stone for important objectives (dragon) and I always pick up extra wards to ward avenues of approach. For example, if we are pushing middle bot tower against blue side, I'll try to ward their red and maybe river tri. It means slower group items, but at my ranking, its worth it.

I don't get caught all that often any more. The key is to weigh the state of the game and pay attention to the minimap. If you don't see their team, I'm not going somewhere unless I'm certain there is no way for them to be there.

I buy oracles if they are warding a ton/for baron/have members that can stealth on whim for teamfights (Shaco/Akali/Khaz).

As for pinks, I try to keep one on me when the time to do objectives comes up (dragon/baron). Also I get early pinks in bot lane matchups where you HAVE to control the brush (Leona vs Taric for example). Or if there is Akali/Eve/Shaco I'll place down pink wards more aggressively.

Builds:

My standard build is: 5 wards, pots as needed (I get more mana pots if I play Taric/Sona and expect a lot of poke). Then go blue sight stone/Philo stone. From there I build Aegis/Bulwark/Locket depending on comp matchup (lot of AP is Bulwark for example).

I generally go for late Reverie if I notice my team sucks as positioning or can't quite catch/get away consistently.

Strongest item? Bulwark/Locket by far. More people should build them. Had a game with a Lux as Thresh and a jungle Xin that built Locket...so much shielding.

Meta:

Leona/Taric + Draven/Graves/MF is great for aggression. Sona/Ez good safe lane. Lulu/Vayne is good. I still like Nunu for hyper carries, even with the nerfs.

I think support tanks are better overall in solo q since if you can judge how ham to go, you dictate the match up in the randomness that is solo q. Generally tanks are more aggressive. So many times on Sona my ADC and I aren't tracking and miss opportunities.

Try to farm under tower and not feed until either our jungle/mid/top helps out, or they make a bad call and we break even.

I would like to see assassin's toned down a bit, and the overall burst of MF/Draven toned down to allow other ADCs room to shine.

Gaurdian Angel

04-07-2013

Reading every post in this thread, keep the answers up, i'm loving it!

Demon Sentinel

04-07-2013

Im new to support, but Im getting help from my friend who mains support.

Thresh
Id have to say Taric or Sona
Thresh is fun, I dont have experience with any others.
Masteries:
Im using 0/9/21 masteries, but i will be trying 0/21/9 on Thresh now that I have read some of the other posts. The Utility Tree is fairly balanced, but I dont use biscuit or explorer ward masteries, only a small benefit for early game IMO.
Summoners:
I havent used anything else, exhaust is a must. Flash is really the best for escaping, but I find its usefulness decreasing with so many champs with gap closers.
Warding:
With Thresh, throwing your lanturn into a bush is prefered to face checking if the enemy team is all MIA. Otherwise, be prepared to fight, keep someone tanky close.

Pinks for objectives, mid game I have enough money to buy some. Oracles is for if the enemy team is warding heavily, or there is a teemo/shaco.

Builds:
My build almost always has consisted of, shurelias, merc treads, locket, bulwark, twin shadows(from kages pick), and sightstone.
Meta:
Thresh goes well with Draven and MF, those are the strongest ADCs right now. Vayne is making a comeback recently, and she goes best with Taric i think.

Everyone is getting tanky, one of the reasons i always get bulwark and locket. A support can get caught as easy as anyone else, and without offence, you need defence.

Tell the ADC to focus on farming, and call jungler/mid for ganks. If the enemy has enough harass to force us out, or the worst case scenario, a Blitzcrank hooking us, just let the tower go. Laning phase is very short and there is plenty of opportunity to comeback mid game with farming and team fighting. Just try to play safe and not feed, dying is worse than losing a tower.

Id like to see some more support items. Warding could use some kind of change, supports are the only ones doing it, and wards only last 3 minutes, sightstone only holds 5 and I put them down quick. Few minutes later and its, WE NEED VISION OMG WARD, cause someone facechecked a bush and died.

Nathan Diddy

04-08-2013

My main support is Taric, although I frequently play Leona and occasionally Sona as well.

Taric or Thresh. Thresh's kit is amazing if used correctly, and Taric is just Taric. On demand stuns, natural tankiness, and a heal to boot really make him stand out.

If I had to choose a support I personally find the most 'fun,' it'd be Orianna. I know, probably a bizarre answer and I'm not speaking for its viability, but I enjoy the fact that when I play Orianna support, I actually have to be concerned with positioning and pay attention to what is going on all around me. Having the ball as a free ward in emergencies is also really helpful. And nothing is more satisfying than denying or turning around a gank with your ult.

Masteries:

On tanky champs who aren't going to really be benefiting all that much from Pickpocket, I go 1/13/16 (usually just Taric and Leona). If I'm playing a ranged support, it's 0/9/21 all day every day. I just can't see a reason to switch from having that extra ward, and that biscuit has saved my life countless times.

Summoners:

The only time I'd really take anything different were if I were potentially going to take Heal, perhaps on a champ that doesn't have a heal in their kit. Heal baiting isn't quite as strong in S3, but I feel it still does have a potential place, and if you build a Eleisa's Miracle to go with it, it can actually be quite strong (but I usually don't get the money to buy Eleisa's)

Warding:

This is something that still is a struggle for me. I will usually go to ward around Baron if the other team is ahead and could potentially do Baron at the 20 minute mark, or a little later if they are behind. I always always always keep a ward on dragon, because it's a great ward spot anyway. In order to not get caught while warding, I usually build mobility boots. Frankly, they're a fantastic buy on almost any support (Taric can stun like a boss, Thresh can get close to hook, Sona can get those clutch ults), and the other boots 2 don't really have the effects that I desire in a support (CDR is nice, as is Tenacity/MR, but in my experience, the Mobi/Swiftness boots are supreme)

Pinks. I usually won't even consider getting an Oracle's until very late in the game, not because I don't think they're good, but just because 2 pink wards is usually enough to really keep the important wards gone (Baron, Dragon). I will tend to buy Oracle's more on tankier supports like Taric and Leona, because I'm less likely to die.

Builds:

I still consider Aegis/Bulwark to be pivotal to any support. They give you tankiness that you need, and while they can be difficult to piece together money-wise, it's absolutely worth it. Another item that is just so vital is Shurelyia's. It builds out of your Philosopher's Stone, gives you a bit more tankiness and health, and the active effect can make or break a game (running away or pursuing at the right times). A support item that I feel is sadly underused is Randuin's Omen. I feel this item is underused because of its cost, which is a valid concern at 3100g. However, in the new era of Blades of the Ruined King and AD carries with a great deal of attack speed, this item can really help in late game fights.
In certain circumstances, I will completely change up a build. If I see they are winning handily, I will almost always switch my attention from Shurelyia's/Sightstone to Aegis if I don't have it, or something that gives me tankiness and health. If you can't stay alive, it doesn't matter if you have a Sightstone because you won't be able to ward anyway. Conversely, if my lane is kicking butt and I'm playing an AP support like Sona, I'd be more likely to pick up a Kage's Pick for the gold and upgrade it for some more damage output.

Meta:

I do feel like Taric + almost anyone is a bit silly strong right now. His armor benefits every AD carry, and his stun really allows most AD champs to unload their full damage in a short amount of time. I feel like Nunu is still very very strong when combined with Kog'Maw or Varus for their on hit effects, and Soraka is still strong in lanes with mana-hungry champs like Corki or Ezreal, although she herself is a bit squishy for my personal tastes, and I usually avoid playing her.

Absolutely. Support tanks are king right now. I can't tell you the number of times I've played Taric or Leona, and level 2 stun killed a Sona/Soraka who simply start out so squishy. Having the tank to protect and help the AD carry get easy kills really sets the lane far ahead. This is my experience from solo queue, it could well be different if you were a duo with your AD carry and were able to communicate to avoid those early deaths.

As has been said before, just stay under the turret. If you AD carry is good at last hitting and avoiding poke (Caitlin Q's, Ezreal Mystic Shots, etc), you'll probably actually end up just fine. If it's a kill lane with a tanky champion that can potential turret dive, I hope! In some cases, without jungle help, all you can do is hope, as unfortunate as that seems.

I'd personally love to see some more items with actives that are actually buildable during games. I would love to build a Twin Shadows every game for the active and the AP, but in most games, that's just not possible. I would like to see some items that are potentially a little cheaper, but still have actives that can potentially sway the bottom lane.
I'd also really enjoy seeing the Pickpocket bonus increase, perhaps to 4 or 5 gold per hit. I feel like this would potentially encourage more of the ranged support champs to get into the game, and lean away from the current tanky meta. Either that, or just take off the cooldown on Pickpocket. The difference wouldn't be that big if a mid or top laner were to take Pickpocket with no cooldown, but it would definitely help supports out a ton in the bottom lane and maybe open up some more of the item choices that we hope to get, rather than those we have to get.

mudkipzing

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-08-2013

It used to be Taric but I've moved to Thresh after the overkill stun nerfs.

Thresh hands down, although there are arguments for blitzcrank it solo queue

The most fun is always going to be the godhand. The difference in fun between Blitz and Thresh is the ability to grab through walls and make huge plays that way.
EDIT: Throw fiddle and leblanc in here. While leblanc isnt viable, Fiddlesticks is incredibly underrated.

Masteries:

I always ran 0/21/9 in Season 2 but lately I've taken to running 5/4/21 on my ranged supports for the CDR. On melees Ive been playing around with 0/21/9 and 0/13/17 with extra points in explorers ward and Wealth

Summoners:

Flash/Exhaust all day, erry day

Warding:

mid/late i try to ward over walls, ensure I've got teammates to back me up or check the brush first if I don't know where the enemies are. Sometimes **** happens and you cant really avoid it.

After the timer on oracles I've been going pink wards up until it starts getting to baron dance time. I guess my choice is largely influenced by the fact that 3+ wards on a map is very uncommon at high silver/low gold

Builds:

Sightstone is just so important. Whenever I have a support that doesnt get it I feel like leaving the game. Otherwise I look for philo's, ensure that one person on the team (possibly me) is grabbing a Bulwark and then I head onto Shurelya's. As far as boots, I change between mobis/tabis/mercs depending on the situation, almost always upgrading them into homeguard. I personally hate lucidities, mainly due to my tendency to build shurelya's + frozen heart. The lack of defensive stats sucks if you're playing anyone but janna/soraka

Meta:

After the shakeups to Taric and BotRK I can't really say much here. I'd have to say that thresh has such a versatile kit that he functions with anyone and against anyone so I'll leave this up to others.

The only back-line support I really like is Janna and is solo queue you're ADC has an 80% chance to be retarded. They will always play aggresively even with a defensive support the only way to save them in a fight is with you're ult which is usually followed by "report Janna saved enemy full health tank"
Personally I'm a tank player. You have much more influence.

I'm Thresh, whats a stronger lane? Honestly you just ward up the lane brushes and farm, disengage when you can.

When I'm paired with an ADC with two halves of a brain I actually have little to complain about in bot. I love it!

HonestWing

04-08-2013

my fave sup is taric and sona and leona and threah and nunu i love them all they are goos support is fun