It's fine for tournaments to use 20% of the champion pool

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Raphael JR

04-07-2013

Lux is played every single game, at every single elo...
i started to ban her just because she is always picked, like ez was few months ago

thepr0owns

04-07-2013

annie recently won a game at lcs too

Undervalued

04-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS17804f7429d10e View Post
The process of competition automatically reduces diversity. Competition implies selection, which is exactly what happens. Ultimately, there are only 16 "best" champions and only those are to be picked competitively because they are the strongest. If things weren't constantly interrupted by buffs/nerfs changing which champions currently are the top 16, that process would probably already be at its end.

Naturally, other champions also are "viable". But you'd only pick them because you feel attached to them or because they have a terrific synergy with another champion that puts them above one of the 16 top champs.

Add in the fact that doing suboptimal choices is highly frowned upon, it's highly likely that at one point people will want to report you for going, say, Ahri mid just as much as they now want to report you for going duo mid. It's not the best choice, you could have done a better one, hence you're actively harming the team and thus are toxic - That's the reasoning employed currently and in the future.

All of this comes natural with competition. Only the very best can compete. And typically, pros have a better understanding of who's currently best, hence people with a weak mind tend to copy those.

there are 16 best champions because of powercreep. This game streamlines designs so being a ranged adc is a simple formula. Some will be the best simply because they all do their jobs the EXACT SAME WAY.

inbredpsychosis

04-07-2013

i just play my favorite champs. it just so happens my favorite champs have become flavor of the month

Huest

04-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakishy View Post
We need more bans with more champs. 6 per side...this gets rid of those 12 OP champs everyone plays and opens it up.
That opens up too many opportunities for player targetted bans. With that many bans you could wholly eliminate a player's champion pool if you knew his skills well enough

Huest

04-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongwayz View Post
Lux is played every single game, at every single elo...
i started to ban her just because she is always picked, like ez was few months ago
Lux does far too much not to be played, banning her is an appropriate response, personally im learning her.

TheFailBus

04-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Division Two View Post
Whens the last time youve consistently seen (consistently meaning more than a few times) in any of these high elo games (tourney)

Akali
Alistar
Brand
Annie
Mundo
Fiddlesticks
Fiora
Fizz
Galio
Gangplank
Heimer (bless his soul)
Irelia
Jax
Leblanc
Lee Sin (in tourney play, i admit he is picked a lot in solo queue high elo)
Leona
Malzahar
Morde
Morgana
Nautilus
Olaf (the nerfs..)
Pantheon
Poppy (bless her soul)
Rammus
Rengar (needs his balls back)
Riven
Sejuani
Shaco
Shyvana
Sion (bless his undead soul)
Sivir
Skarner
Soraka
Swain
Trundle
Tryn
Veigar
Viktor
Warwick
Wukong (I admit he had his time with a cyclone/wild growth strat)
Yorick (kinda fallen off)
Zilean
Oh and Yi (AD yi)

When you have over 100 characters there's going to be niche picks. Not every champion is going to be a common pick, but they should all fill their role. It got shown yesterday that annie can work in competitive, we saw veigar as well. Wukong has been used quite a lot, trynd was used during that AP trynd phase. Fizz, GP, Irelia, jax have all been played a fair few times - voyboy still loves him some irelia. Olaf and leona are still used even after olaf got nerfed he's been played.

But even if we count every single one you posts as not being used (which is bollocks to start with, but hey, im sure you'll have missed a few off that aren't picked), that's still only 43 champs not used, which means the champion pool of PICKED heroes is 112-43 = 69 = 62% pick rate. A HELL of a lot more than 20%. And most of the ones which aren't picked aren't particularly underpowered, they don't fit with the metagame being played or the pro players aren't comfortable picking them up. There's only a few that are legitimately in need of big help, most a little numbers tweak will help. And out of those few, several are already being reworked next patch.

Yes there's some very common picks, that's how a game like this usually works, but there are a ton of champions used in specific comps or to throw people off because they are uncommon. Far more than 20% are used on a regular basis and the general balance levels are pretty good.

Kirballs1

04-07-2013

You have to sheep if you want to be good.This game releases champions frequently and the only way to win is to play the recent strong picks or risk losing to an equal skilled player with those champions.

Rockman

04-07-2013

I play Talon in ranked instead of Zed. Come at me.

FalconPawwwwnch

04-07-2013

People don't care what the hell you pick in diamond as long as you know how to play. But even still not picking the champions you mentioned and some others leaves a team as a noticeable disadvantage