Why Trundle's low popularity is no reason to delete him.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AnonTwo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-07-2013

I don't even get that, how does popularity mean "change the lore?"

You don't have to use a champ to like a champ. Sometimes you just have favorites, or you're not good with a champ, that doesn't mean you can't like them.

Popularity should have more to do with the kit, shouldn't it?

woopyfrood

04-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonTwo View Post
I don't even get that, how does popularity mean "change the lore?"

You don't have to use a champ to like a champ. Sometimes you just have favorites, or you're not good with a champ, that doesn't mean you can't like them.

Popularity should have more to do with the kit, shouldn't it?
That's one point I'm trying to bring up. Let's assume Trundle is perfectly balanced: He will only ever bring in a niche of gamers because his gameplay only appeals to a niche of gamers. Competitively speaking, even if he is very viable he will have a niche. Champs like Taric are popular because they fulfill a broad role very well, and his style of play appeals to many people. Trundle, with balancing, has the potential fulfill his own role especially well, but it would still be a niche in terms of appeal and competitive value, but that's not a bad thing at all.

Trundle's art style has to do with players becoming attached to the characters they play. If Taric got a VU that made him no longer fabulous, wouldn't Taric players feel betrayed? The Troll King will breed attachment just like Trundle did, but assuming that that the Troll King should take Trundle's place because more people will attach to him is fallacious. By that logic, all champions should have a personality similar to Taric. (...Stop thinking that would be a great idea.)

Slarg232

04-07-2013

That would be outrageous.

Truly Truely Truley, Outrageous.

^Intentional.

DONGCART

04-07-2013

Quote:
The thing about this point is that a lot of other people have brought up points of their own on why that argument doesn't hold water. There's still plenty of places Trundle's lore could go (the necromancer that cursed his tribe and how he still exists as a character), and there's a TON of plot holes in the new lore, like how Lissandra joining the League in the first place makes no sense whatsoever.

Veyrak

04-07-2013

It wasn't about popularity. It was the relationship with other champions that was lacking and that is why they decided to improve his lore so that he could be tied to others much easier. Sure his new story doesn't make him out to be a martyr, which by the way in his judgement he decided to be a ******(dunno why that's censored but w/e), but it does allow for continuing lore among other champions, and gives him the potential to impact the world more than just saving his tribe from a disease.

Swatcheyy

04-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopyfrood View Post
Mundo, at 1.9% popularity: Should he no longer go where he pleases?

Fix'd.

DONGCART

04-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandens Gaming View Post
It wasn't about popularity. It was the relationship with other champions that was lacking and that is why they decided to improve his lore so that he could be tied to others much easier. Sure his new story doesn't make him out to be a martyr, which by the way in his judgement he decided to be a ******(dunno why that's censored but w/e), but it does allow for continuing lore among other champions, and gives him the potential to impact the world more than just saving his tribe from a disease.
But Trundle's lore does allow him to be tied to others fairly easily. The necromancer that cursed his tribe is a Noxus scholar, so he could easily have some interaction with Swain or Darius. If you think about that then Trundle is potentially a "wild card" that could really throw the whole Noxus vs Demacia conflict for a loop. Another thing is that Trundle feels so one-dimensional after his change; he actually had character before, and now he's just a meathead with no personality of his own other than IM THE KING. There was internal conflict in Trundle's judgment, and it was neat to see him question his own decisions. It made our troll feel real, you know?

Veyrak

04-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONGCART View Post
But his lore does allow him to be tied to others fairly easily. The necromancer that cursed his tribe is a Noxus scholar, so he could easily have some interaction with Swain or Darius. If you think about that then he's potentially a "wild card" that could really throw the whole Noxus vs Demacia conflict for a loop. Another thing is that he feels so one-dimensional after his change; he actually had character before, and now he's just a meathead with no personality of his own other than IM THE KING. There was internal conflict in his judgment, and it was neat to see him question his own decisions. It made him feel real, you know?
To be fair he did save his people again from a foolish leader that was going to get them killed. His personality didn't change too much, he is still a trickster and savior, but now he holds more weight on the world's stage with an army instead of having him tied into other lores with just being a single troll that happens to be uglier than the rest and have better regeneration. From only a few paragraphs of lore you cannot really see his whole picture, only a small bit.

I understand that a lot of people loved his old lore, and I didn't mind it myself, and I know a change like that is hard to take, but you'll get used to it and maybe learn to love him again.

Edit: Also wait and see if there will be an ama, I heard someone mention that they would explain some of their decisions.

DONGCART

04-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandens Gaming View Post
To be fair he did save his people again from a foolish leader that was going to get them killed. His personality didn't change too much, he is still a trickster and savior, but now he holds more weight on the world's stage with an army instead of having him tied into other lores with just being a single troll that happens to be uglier than the rest and have better regeneration. From only a few paragraphs of lore you cannot really see his whole picture, only a small bit.

I understand that a lot of people loved his old lore, and I didn't mind it myself, and I know a change like that is hard to take, but you'll get used to it and maybe learn to love him again
Old Trundle wasn't a trickster and a savior, he was a runt who wanted to be liked, and when he tried to do something for others, that backfired and he became jaded as a result. That's part of why this lore doesn't sit well with me. The other part that doesn't sit well is how many plot holes it creates in terms of the necromancer in Noxus and Lissandra entering into the League.

His personality took a HUGE change; aside from actually caring about people other than himself now, he doesn't seem to have any personality other than being a flunky. He has character interactions with Ashe, but nothing in his lore mentions anything about him or his tribe wanting to rule Freljord, which makes his lines feel incredibly shallow. You could say that it's implied I guess, but then why would he want to make his intentions to stab Lissandra in the back known? Again, it makes no sense.

You're right, I might get used to change. I might learn how to fly. I might even sprout horns from my head. The fact of the matter is that this change wasn't supposed to happen. Riot said several times that Trundle wouldn't change from a leprous monstrosity, and look what happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
So I feel like I need to clarify a bit here as GD likes to speculate and go off sometimes. (Speculating and going off is fun btw).
So I am not just trying to figure out what Trundle looks like, I am trying to figure out what Trolls in Runterra look like. Trundle was and is the only Troll we have, and to be honest, I am not a fan of his anatomy as a Troll. He feels almost like a Goblin in my opinion. I would like him to feel a bit more powerful. I acknowledge that many of you like the "Gross" factor. I like it too. I like that He slobbers, I like that he's sort of the "Pig Pen" (peanuts reference anyone?) of the League Roster. I want you to know that Relaunch team is not going to take away your Gross Leprosy Troll with the Poop tower. But I also want you to know I am trying to make Gross Leprosy Troll Poop tower look like he can go toe to toe visually with the likes of the newer champs. I also want you to know that he does need some art love, some particle love and some animation love, and by jove, he's gonna get it! I want to keep the things that are endearing about him intact, and build upon those themes. You guys are awesome. And I really do appreciate your passion and candor.
I don't oppose change, I just don't like being lied to.

Lajinn5

04-07-2013

I am perfectly okay with Trundle's update, the only problem I have however is the change of his voiceover, I loved the snarky smartas.s voice of Trundle, other than that I am fine with him