Why Trundle's low popularity is no reason to delete him.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

woopyfrood

04-06-2013

The Trundle Visual Update makes serious changes to Trundle's appearance, attitude, and themes. Even the Traditional Skin suffers from this disparity. A common argument in favor of this replacement is that Trundle's following was just too small, and that this kind of change in necessary in order to draw in a wider audience.

If that's the case, let's apply this VU philosophy to all underplayed champions.

At time of writing, LoLKing.net has:

Urgot, at 0.56% popularity: Should he no longer be a horrifyingly augmented cyborg?

Heimerdinger, at 0.68% popularity: Should he no longer be an eccentric Einstein-esque inventor?

Sion, at 0.94% popularity: Should he no longer be an undead barbarian?

Viktor, at 1% popularity: Should he no longer be a transhumanist technomage?

Galio, at 1.03% popularity: Should he no longer be a stoic gargoyle?

Zilean, at 1.05% popularity: Should he no longer be an old chronomage?

Veigar, at 1.71% popularity: Should he no longer be a tiny megalomaniac?

Mundo, at 1.9% popularity: Should he no longer be a hulked-out mad scientist?

Do any of these champion's unpopularity truly stem from their artistic concept, or their gameplay? Let's say all champions are equally appealing in gameplay and model quality: Is unequal popularity still a truly bad thing? Don't people naturally form groups of unequal size based on artistic taste? Is disbanding a smaller group in order to please a larger group always the right course of action, especially when it comes to art?

Holy Malevolence

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopyfrood View Post
Viktor, at 1% popularity: Should he no longer be a transhumanist technomage?
Dun mess with the Viktor.
Viktor's a bro. A broski.

MTempty

04-06-2013

interesting thread. bump. I still liked old Trundle's lore. I saw a video in which new trundle can solo baron at level 13 without even really using smite.

CynicalGiant

04-06-2013

I cared more about his kit, usually thats why I play champs. His kit remains in tact and becomes a lot more exciting and interesting to use, so im fine with the visual changes.

IS12c9caee90c700fc71890

04-06-2013

I'd say yes to a VU on all of those champions, except Viktor.

Edit: And yes I'd play them far more often with those kits if they didn't look so bad/retarded.

PS: Add Gragas, if he wasn't like that you can bet your ass GD would be filled with NERF PLOS threads, his kit and numbers are awesome.

Holy Malevolence

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTempty View Post
interesting thread. bump. I still liked old Trundle's lore. I saw a video in which new trundle can solo baron at level 13 without even really using smite.
Heal based on percent damage on something with as much health as Baron.

That was a funny video.

MTempty

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Malevolence View Post
Heal based on percent damage on something with as much health as Baron.

That was a funny video.
The Troll King formerly known as Trundle shows much promise. =D

XElement

04-06-2013

I like to think this is a new updated lore for him.
He joins the league to cure him. They manage to cure him wihtout letting him die without the curse.
He can't go back to his tribe and no where else to go so he goes up norht and ends up joining the frost trolls.
That is where he comes with this new lore and becomes their king.

He could been changed blue because of being up there for so long or just because of the new weapon he took.
His old lore couldn't really do much. He was "done". He couldn't be truly cure with his current lore because it was keeping him alive. He was stuck with it while being an outcast from his tribe. Riot saw a way to connect him with other champions and make him be a smart part of something bigger lore wise.

Holy Malevolence

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTempty View Post
The Troll King formerly known as Trundle shows much promise. =D
Not in the least.
Funny video of something obviously unintended doesn't make the retcon a good idea.

ColdJr