Theory Craft Gangplank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EzraTwitch

01-04-2011

So cant sleep and waiting for new patch, and an idea came to me all of a sudden.

What about a straight AD Gangplank with Tiamat

Runes (21/9/0)
Either Smite (For extra farming) or the new improved exhaust to keep you from getting bursted down by those pesky mages.
Ghost (Good all-around skill, honestly I run it with almost every class)

Masteries
21/9/0
Picking up MR/Armor/and Mana Regen in the defence tree.

Runes
Armor Penetration Marks and Quints/Cooldown Reduction Glyphs and Seals.

Basically The Build Order is as follows

Faerie Charm +Mana/Health Pots.

Deny Last Hit as Normal
New Boots of Ionia (For Cooldown goodness)
Finish Tiamat
Farm Bloodthirster
Frozen Hammer (For survivability and the slow is nice)
last two items are optional.
(For purpose of theory though I went Atma's cause it adds some more armor and an additional 53 ad at level 18 and the new Black Cleaver for the 55 damage and armor debuff)

Basically idea is too constantly be nailing people with those AOE parlays, i know the range is small, but it seems to me dropping Armor Pen 420 damage shot on EACH of the guys currently piled upon your tank with a single parlay might be of use.

comments??

EzraTwitch

01-04-2011

Twelve views no comment. . .I'm a sad panda

Slickass Willy

01-04-2011

Crit or die son. gp is made to walk up and blast a squishy and make rain on a team fight. sorcerers boots maximize the petty damage of individual cannon balls. phantom dancer enhances the paltry E spell and gives you a major boost in crit midgame. **** near makes you unstoppable with lifesteal. You NEED crit not aoe. Crit is even more important than damage early to mid game.

Rysan Marquise

01-04-2011

Dude. Tried it back before it was nerfed to hell.

Too gimmicky, too awkward, too much a failure.

Don't call it theorycraft without math. It is baseless conjecture.

Proteus12

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-04-2011

You're doing it wrong, simple as that. Get crit runes, with cd reduction and armor or health. Buy two tiamats after speed boots and chalice. Buy IE, buy black cleaver, buy either a BT or another tiamat after you sell the chalice. When you crit, you crit for about 1500 on range melee creeps, and it splashes for 105/70% and your slashes are for 200/150% if they are stupid enough to group up like they should, you win the team fights. It helps to solo a lane 2v1 and gank with a forester as you keep your lane pushed and they split reduced experience already. In addition to your ult and exhaust, double kills are easy. It is a play-style that is finicky and counterable, then again so is gp as a character; you have a very large potential to end a fight in two moves however.

EzraTwitch

01-04-2011

Did awesome, new boots +runes give me a 1 second cooldown on parlay, crit not required, also as far crit goes, crit is gimmiky, your basically trading consistently high damage for average/low damage with the chance for extremely high damage, late game yes your critting of hit rock and roll, however (so far) with this build I find that I am far more useful levels 1-15 then I would be as critplank.

And as for math, I built in the league craft builder and looks solid (I have played two games so far, and it plays solid too). No I don't have those epic criticals but with the damage boost from Tiamat combined with the early blood thirster I have consistently high damage output by the third item and enough life steal that I can stand toe to toe with most guys no problem, The last game I played I killed a swain standing toe to toe against him among my minions while he ulted my life gain combined with gps passive and 1 1/2 second parlays at a guaranteed 243 damage 25 ArP destroyed him. With this build I find myself using my W to stay on top people who are snaring to run away from me, rather than using it to escape snares as I run away which happened with some regularity as critplank.

Also here are some things i have discovered while playing testing: Seals should be mana regen not cooldown, Warmogs probably better choice then frozen hammer (farm is not a problem) post more as i continue to play test.

EzraTwitch

01-04-2011

Seriously not trolling
send me an invite if you don't believe me. Yes end game I don't have those 800 critical hits, but I am just far more dangerous though out the ENTIRETY of the match rather than the last three levels. Personally I am a little offended by all these accusations by people who been told to do it one way and just mimic whatever "the best" build is which was "discovered" by some random player just like me. Here I come along with a new idea and am immediately shot down or accused of being a troll. I mean if you just think about it for two seconds it seems obvious. There is no reason that gangplank should be so reliant on critical hits he doesn't have a single ability that increases his critical chance which means you have to build his entire crit base off auxiliary stuff such as runes/masteries/and items. and what happens when you do this? you lose out on raw damage/armorpen/ and attackspeed (Because oh yea he has no abilities that increase any of those either).

Just look at other "critical strike" characters, they all have way of stacking critical strike (Tryndmare, Ash) or Attack Speed (Tristanna) innately.

Meanwhile what does gangplank have? An innate way to stack Raw damage via his E and a spammable attack that converts his raw damage to a very hard ranged hit. I dont know, playing to character innate strengths just seems like a good idea, call me crazy.

EzraTwitch

01-04-2011

To ricklessabandon,

Good point actually, And your right in the last few games, as far as parlay goes it did not consistently punish multiple players via parlay. That being said though, after playing I still think its a good choice. It let me farm/push quickly (as of course it is designed to do) but primarily it is an item that adds good ad and mana regen immediately as you begin to build it. And the AoE still came very much into to play during team battles as I was consistently in the thick of the fight swinging away.

I have only play-tested this build for 7 matches and have done consistently very well, and urge anyone else to give it a shot before commenting (though any comment of course is still welcomed).

My overall opinion of this build so far is that its basically a trade off, a slightly weaker late game for a MUCH stronger early-mid game.

EzraTwitch

01-04-2011

More on build, well in the end Tiamat did have to be abandoned, mostly because my build was lagging behind item wise level 9-12 because of the extra grand I was spending on tiamat over manamune, I having replaced tiamat with manamune though, I still find that consistent raw damage just seems to be more reliable through out the entirety of the match then the damage output with critplank. Done updating but encourage all the doubters out there to try out a raw damage plank.