Infrastructure Question

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jacobbs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-19-2011

Why is it that the two main clients (US and EU) are not interchangeable? For me, the question boils down to server infrastructure and keeping the pings acceptable in matches. This make sense, however there is no logical reason why it has to be done by mirroring infrastructure geographically.

If there are two separate user databases (one for US and one for EU), why is this the case? The only real limitation would be hardware scalability, and if you're already running mirror databases for each region, you could just pump that server power into a central database. I just don't see any reason why the databases have to be split.

Having the entire LoL community split geographically doesn't really make a lot of sense. If you want to solve the local ping issue, you could simply add in an option when queueing "Regional Games Only". When a user makes an account, tag it with their locality (based on IP-geolocation on a country level). This way, I think you get the best of both worlds. You can have a larger total community, and the game will develop faster. You also no longer limit players to their geographic location, and players can play with who they want. I can understand the case with Chinese LoL, but between US/EU, it doesn't make sense.

In short, the way the user account infrastructure is built doesn't make a whole ton of sense for me, and I'm just wondering if there's a structural reason behind it that I'm not aware of. There must be something that I'm completely missing that's highly technical (or perhaps financial) that restricts the architecture to the way it currently is, but I am really curious.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jacobbs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information