[Discussion] The new Ryze, how do you play him?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Patyrn

12-06-2009

I find myself getting haunting guise first, followed by catalyst and then tear. He gets a lot of damage just from the mana, so I feel I can put off AP for a while. I then get a deathfire staff, convert catalyst to RoA, convert tear to archangels, and then get a survivability item like guardian or banshees.

wildfire393

12-06-2009

I had a fair amount of success just stacking MPen items.

Haunting Guise
Sorc Boots
Void Staff
Abyssal Scepter

After that point you can do whatever if you're still in game. But with 20 MR reduction, 55% Mpen (counting mastery), and another 40% Mpen, plus the -15 from spell flux and whatever Mpen runes you've got, and your spells hit like trucks.

JunkRamen

12-06-2009

Doesn't flux reduce the need to stack magic pen?

Xetal

12-07-2009

I've been having a fair amount of luck using him as a "duck in, decimate, duck out" type of caster. Focusing on Health, Mana, Ability power, and survivability. I've been using Cleanse every game (Cleanse + Rune Prison = get out of jail free), and my second ability has been Ignite or Flash.

I only pick up one rank of Overload until my last 5 points, I favor Rune Prison early and then mid-game it is a lot of Spell Flux.

1+2) Merc's boots + Rod of Ages
3.) Banshee's Veil
4.) Archangel's Staff
5.) Void Staff
6.) Guardian Angel

Some games I swap Archangels and Void if they're stacking MR, and most games don't make it to #6.

Basically it is a matter of getting into a team fight, picking a target, ducking in with your ultimate on and then rune prison, spell flux, and overload right next to them (and ignite if you need to) and then backing out. If you pick your target well this should get you 1-2 kills and in 10 or so seconds you'll be recharged to pick off any stragglers.

There is a guide somewhere in these forums that acts as a much lower damage but more persistent low-AP build. It looks like it might do better as a tank, but probably won't be able to lay down as much hurt. I'm finding that the early MR from Mercs and Banshee + the Banshee spell shield + the massive health you get from the Rod of Ages + Banshee's gives you plenty of survivability to everything but repeated melee attacks (which you should prevent with cleanse + rune prison + banshee's and your ability to destroy anything that gets close. Also if you picked Flash instead of Ignite it can help with avoiding melee ganks)

Captian WTF

12-07-2009

Played my first game with him and went 23/2/15 with him!

all i got was all his recommended items and 1 extra zonyas ring so yah still stacking AP

EchoRex

12-07-2009

Maximum cooldown reduction, maximum amount of mana, magic penetration, and a Lichbane.

Low AP, high survivability, full on spam of every ability for continuous DPS.