New and Looking for Tips

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rulf Logahn

04-04-2013

Hi Everyone, brand new player here, played my first two Group vs AI this morning and was struggling to figure out what to do. This may be partly because I purchased Garen and have been using him and am not quite sure what type of strategy I should be going for. I tend to rely heavily on Judgment to burst the minions down, and try to hit them with Devastating Strike? to build my gold up.

I have problems deciding when to buy what gear. Most of the build guids I saw told me to buy Warmog's Armor, which for the life of me, I can't find at the shop, possibly because I've only played 3v3 games?

The big question I guess I have is what type of Champion/Build is the easiest to learn and best adaptible into a low experience group for PVP later on.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Hiryuu16

04-04-2013

Save your abilities for harassing the opposing champions, hopefully to the point of driving them from the lane. Generally, you only want to get the last hit on a minion (so you get the gold). Hammering down the minions pushes the lane, until you reach the enemy turret. Then your enemy has the protection of the turret, and you're out in the open. Not good.

There are only a couple times when it's advantageous to push the lane. First, if you harass/kill the enemy into leaving the lane, push it so the enemy misses the gold from your minions, and you can chip away at the turret HP. Second, if you want to leave the lane to shop or help other lanes, pushing it gives you time before the enemy can push it back to your turret.

I don't play 3v3, but it does have some slightly different equipment from Summoner's Rift. Check mobafire.com and solomid.net for guides on champions builds. (On mobafire, make sure you sort by rating.)

The three tutorial champs, Garen, Ryze, and Ashe, are all solid champions that are easy to pick up and learn. Annie is also quite effective. Beyond that, there are 10 free champions each week. You should try those to see what you like.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

04-04-2013

Well, there are 2 ways to kill minions. You can walk back and forth without hitting them and wait for one of them to get low on health, then kill it in one hit. This is called last hitting. You can also use attacks and skills to kill a whole group of minions as fast as possible. This is called wave clearing. For several reasons, it's to your advantage to last hit for the first 10-20 minutes of the game. But among inexperienced players there's a lot of combat in lane and not much focus on the minions anyway.

The 3v3 Twisted Treeline map has different items, so you won't find Warmog's on there. Summoner's Rift is the most popular map so pretty much any guide you find will be talking about how to play on that map.

Garen isn't bad at all for learning. He has no mana or other resource for abilities, so you don't have to worry about mana management. The basic combo is to activate Q, run up to the enemy (preferably ambushing from the brush), land the one hit and start spinning. Follow them as they run or be ready to pop Courage for extra defense if they stay to fight. Save Demacian Justice for finishing people off, as it deals much more damage to low health targets.