AD VS MS Quint Runes on Garen??

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Strategy Gamer

04-04-2013

I can't really tell which runes are better for garen. AD quints gives him better farming and push in lane. On the other hand, MS quints gives garen the abiltiy to escape from ganks, catch up to your opponent, and tower dive. I've been using MS quints on Garen most of the time because it boosts up his Q for great harassment. Also great to catch on Teemo. Which is better to be honest? Please leave me of your suggestions. Thank you.

TehomCD

04-04-2013

Personally, I lean towards AD runes as your standard choice - I feel that your Q will usually give enough movement speed, and there's diminishing returns built into movespeed over certain threshold values. I could see arguments for it in some specific matchups where you're likely to be kited, though, like you mentioned. In situations where you're likely to just trade with another melee, AD is a much stronger option imo.

Crs Sanvaer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

04-04-2013

You only want Movement Speed quints on champions that use it aggressively (i.e. junglers). Garen already has his Q to speed up, and you can always buy Boots of Swiftness or Mobility Boots on him if you feel the need to go faster (offensively OR defensively).

OriginalJack

04-04-2013

Like other people have been saying MS quints aren't really needed because your Q is usually enough of a gap closer. If you are having trouble sticking to them after that try running a little bit past them before you turn to hit them and start spinning. In addition to them having to run further to get away you can sometimes body block them from getting back and increase the damage they are taking from standing next to you while you spin [to win].

RiotKTGoldwolf

Assistant Producer

04-04-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Lots of people like AD quints because it also gives you a little more leeway when last-hitting to make sure that you don't miss (ie: If I'm doing 6 more damage per attack, I can safely attack a minion with 6 more HP and still get the last hit).

That said, MS quints are also quite useful. There are not that many ways to gain additional movement speed through in game items, and many of those options are not choices that Garen will be taking advantage of (I don't often see Phantom Dancer on Garen for example).

So - I think they're both solid picks. Depends on what you're looking for.

Voxr

04-04-2013

I like AD over MS. Garen's Q I think can be used to catch up/escape enemies. Also if I feel I need to be faster or If I want to have better roam potential I just buy Boots of Mobility. Granted once you're attacked the extra MS wears off, but still those and your Q make it easier to get away/ get to opponents IMO.

noxToken

04-05-2013

As everyone has said, his Q gives him enough speed to close gaps on many chases. It also nullifies a slow if your opponent CC's you during chase, but the argument that I've seen for MS quints on Garen is contained to a certain build.You get MS quints over AD quints, and your initial build has a red elixer instead of boots. The red elixer is to be saved for the last moment of a duel, so that the health + AD buff will give you that slight edge over your lane opponent.

I haven't actually played around with that idea, but the theory is that the health and AD buff will catch yyour opponent off guard. In a level 3 duel with trades that are about even, 150 health + 15AD on demand can actually turn the tide in your favor.